Hi everyone. Since 10.3.3 was released, my Passport's battery has been very bad, maybe holding a charge for one day, if lucky, whereas prior to that upgrade it would last approx. 3 days. I have noticed significant degradation over the weeks, and yesterday, lo and behold, it wouldn't charge, and rebooting the phone (using either the hold down power button or hold both volume buttons) rebooted the phone, but the screen was completely locked. Could not access any icons, nothing worked.

I decided to look into an autoloader, however it seemed too complicated and like it wouldn't be worth it, so I decided to just try the old BBOS route, meaning reloading the OS from Link.

I have Windows 10 on my PC and had read on CB that people had problems installing Link in Win10 and that therefore the computer wouldn't recognize the Passport as a result.

So I downloaded the Link software from us.blackberry.com (even though I'm in Canada), installed it perfectly fine.

Connected the Passport via a USB cable to the computer and Link, unbelievably, recognized the device immediately.

I selected Reload the OS (last option on the Link page), and was immediately prompted to restart my phone. Did that and immediately the updated OS was downloaded to my computer. That process took about 55 minutes. Once the OS download was completed, the installation process on the Passport began automatically, and that part took only about 5 minutes to install, then the instructions said update/reload complete and it was safe to disconnect the phone.

And voila! The phone is completely reset, and working perfectly. Even Evernote and Dropbox were reinstalled, although we know both of those have EOL support.

I thought I'd post this for others in this situation, as I'm seeing more and more posts about people having battery and bricking problems with their Passports.

If you have any questions about this, I'm more than delighted to help!

Andy
    12-04-17 12:17 PM
    ^Thanks for the share @andy957
    andy957 likes this.
    12-04-17 01:07 PM
    You're very welcome, Qorax. It was so easy, that I thought hopefully I could save others the frustration of having to go through downloading the huge autoloader files from mega.nz or elsewhere. I do realize the autoloaders eliminate the carrier bloatware, but in my case I just wanted the phone back up and running, so it worked great. Cheers.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-04-17 01:15 PM
    When you reloaded OS, which version was installed?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-17 02:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Software Release 10.3.3.1463
    OS Version 10.3.3.2205
    Build ID 903214
    Radio Version 10.3.3.2206
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-04-17 02:49 PM
    Or better yet, just run the latest autoloader and skip all that Link crap - as it has been known to cause much heartache.

Here is 10.3.3.3057 for the Passport:
    https://mega.nz/#!EJQUSIYJ!-g77DzNbq...QLrlWk78FSXqxk

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in phone, run autoloader. Done. It's easy as can be.
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-17 at 06:49 PM.
    LSDBerry and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    12-04-17 03:04 PM
    Or better yet, just run the latest autoloader and skip all that Link crap.

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in phone, run autoloader. Done. It's easy as can be.
    Guess you didn't read my posts too carefully.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-04-17 03:10 PM
    Guess you didn't read my posts too carefully.
    I did.

But I made the post anyway because it's almost easier to run an autoloader than it is to drink a glass of water.

You just need the correct file and the correct instructions - which I provided.

As it is no longer supported software, Link can be downright dangerous at times. It was so even when it WAS supported.
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-17 at 06:51 PM.
    LSDBerry likes this.
    12-04-17 03:11 PM
    Or better yet, just run the latest autoloader and skip all that Link CRAP.

He said...

...I decided to look into an autoloader, however it seemed too complicated and like it wouldn't be worth it, so I decided to just try the old BBOS route..
    andy957 likes this.
    12-04-17 03:11 PM
    He said...
    Yes, but perhaps he got poor instructions before. It's easy as pie. Worth noting for others visiting this thread too.

I'm happy the OP had a positive experience with Link, but it comes with risks too.
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-17 at 06:52 PM.
    LSDBerry likes this.
    12-04-17 03:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Only what his device would otherwise receive OTA.

With an autoloader, however, you can jump right to the latest.
    LSDBerry likes this.
    12-04-17 03:17 PM
    Only what his device would otherwise receive OTA.

With an autoloader, however, you can jump right to the latest.
    The ENTIRE POINT of my thread was for people who DO NOT want to download the autoloader, for whatever reason. There are plenty of other autoloader threads. Please read my thread and you will understand why I did it this way and why I posted it.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-04-17 03:41 PM
    The ENTIRE POINT of my thread was for people who DO NOT want to download the autoloader, for whatever reason. There are plenty of other autoloader threads. Please read my thread and you will understand why I did it this way and why I posted it.
    Ok. Perfect. Now your thread provides two methods to prospective readers.

Nothing has been taken away from your first post.

I've just spent many, many hours, over hundreds of posts over the years helping people resolve issues caused by Link. As a result, I have a tremendous aversion for the software, and think it's terrible.
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-17 at 04:31 PM.
    LSDBerry likes this.
    12-04-17 04:13 PM
    I'm monitoring battery usage today very closely. Without using the phone except to download an update to Amazon App Store, I see its currently at 39% and says 2 days 8 hours remaining. That can't be right. I have been noticing fluctuation in time remaining (up and down, not just down) throughout the day. Am attaching screenshot. Otherwise phone is performing like new.

Posted via CB10
    How I restored my Passport-img_20171204_190244.jpg
    Last edited by andy957; 12-04-17 at 06:37 PM.
    12-04-17 06:06 PM
    And... where's a screenshot?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-17 06:10 PM
    And... where's a screenshot?

Posted via CB10
    CB10 app on my Passport wouldn't allow me to attach an image (smh) so I had to email it to myself and upload. Sorry for the confusion.
    12-04-17 06:15 PM
    Did you have to back up all your data? Files, pics, apps, settings etc? Or is an autoloader automatic so it doesn't wipe all that stuff?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-17 06:17 PM
    As a result, I have a tremendous aversion for the software, and think it's terrible.
    It worked 100% perfectly fine for me, even in spite of what I wrote in my OP that I had heard there were problems with Win10. It worked like a charm. NO reason to tell people not to use it. If it works, it works.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-04-17 06:19 PM
    Did you have to back up all your data? Files, pics, apps, settings etc? Or is an autoloader automatic so it doesn't wipe all that stuff?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately the phone was completely "locked" (couldn't get to anything from main screen, phone was completely frozen) so I wasn't able to back up data. However, luckily I keep all photos and docs on my SD card so everything was saved. Only thing remaining was to reinstall apps that I want to use, and there aren't that many anymore. Amazingly enough, my bank is still updating their app!
    12-04-17 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    And that's the heart of what's wrong with BlackBerry Link - backups.

It puts the corruption right back on the device after performing a clean install (if you choose to backup/restore that is).

There are other problems like a backup that can't be restored because of an internal error in the file.

Connectivity errors abound. A reload can be interrupted mid-update that can corrupt the device - forcing the use of an autoloader anyway.

It's just not worth the aggravation and risk, and worth pointing out.
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-17 at 07:09 PM.
    LSDBerry and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-04-17 06:29 PM
    I'm monitoring battery usage today very closely. Without using the phone except to down an update to Amazon App Store, I see its currently at 39% and says 2 days 8 hours remaining. That can't be right. I have been noticing fluctuation in time remaining (up and down, not just down) throughout the day. Am attaching screenshot. Otherwise phone is performing like new.

Posted via CB10
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171204_190244.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	432031
    I don't see anything suspicious. Time remaining is subject to change due to usage type. If you just hold the device on the shelf, it grows, and - visa versa - if you play Android games, it shortens.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Qorax like this.
    12-04-17 06:30 PM
    And that's the heart of what's wrong with BlackBerry Link - backups.

It puts the corruption right back on the device after performing a clean install (if you choose to backup/restore that is).

There are other problems like a backup that can't be restored because of an internal error in the file.

Connectivity errors abound. A reload can be interrupted mid-update that can corrupt the device - forcing the use of an autoloader anyway.

It's just not worth the aggravation and risk.
    Once again, that's not the crux of this thread. This thread is about using LINK and my experience in restoring a frozen Passport. I did not come here asking for autoloader help; there are a gazillion threads and posts already on CB and the web. So to come here and argue about the merits or shortcomings of Link is completely counter to the purpose of my post. If you don't like Link, then post that in another thread please! Thank you.
    12-04-17 06:39 PM
    I don't see anything suspicious. Time remaining is subject to change due to usage type. If you just hold the device on the shelf, it grows, and - visa versa - if you play Android games, it shortens.

Posted via CB10
    OK, thanks. I'll see just how long I get on the 39% remaining (now it's at 35% with screen off and no email activity).
    12-04-17 06:41 PM
    Once again, that's not the crux of this thread. This thread is about using LINK and my experience in restoring a frozen Passport. I did not come here asking for autoloader help; there are a gazillion already on CB and the web. So to come here and argue about the merits or shortcomings of Link is completely counter to the purpose of my post. If you don't like Link, then post that in another thread please! Thank you.
    I feel it is incumbent upon me to also warn other people of the risk of using Link based on my extensive experience providing technical support in these forums over the years.

People can decide for themselves. Give them some credit. You have made your opinion and experience clear.
    LSDBerry and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-04-17 06:42 PM
    I feel it is incumbent upon me to also warn other people of the risk of using Link based on my extensive experience providing technical support in these forums over the years.

People can decide for themselves. Give them some credit. You have made your opinion and experience clear.
    Do so in another thread. It worked for me, pal. And I shared that with others. End of story. You're just hijacking my thread that has good information on how to use Link and how it works. I didn't come here asking for opinions on Link.
    12-04-17 06:45 PM
43 12