You guys are the greatest, you know that?

SK122387: Why wouldn't they let me take a dog - they are not selling food? Anyway, Mia is a Chihuahua, so a very small dog anyway.

xxsashixx: Hey, thank you for the offer - but I won't turn this into a money campaign. Do appreciate the idea though!

The below part will probably be very boring for most of you, as it is meant to address Raha, sorry.

Ra-ha:

Why is it that whenever someone posts a story to a forum some people feel the reflex to say that this must be bs? In fact - what I said might have been incomplete for the sake of keeping it short, but simply asking a few questions could have cleared that up. I never said that Police in Germany don't care about crimes at all - they simply don't care about stolen mobiles. Google "Handy Diebstahl Polizei" for a lot of other stories about that.

But: The whole thing becomes a completely different matter as soon as its not simple "theft" ("Diebstahl") but "robbery" ("Raub"), where the latter describes a theft under threat or even physical brutality.

Also, if you report a theft directly after it happened AND can describe/recognize the thieve, they will go looking for him and be very helpful.

Another thing: I never said that the police wouldn't be able to get the security footage - but I won't get it myself. And as said before - police, at least here in Berlin don't care much about stolen phones. And what use would it be to me now, a week after? Sure, a lawyer would get it probably as well but that is simply fighting for a lost cause.

And I am not as stupid as suggested: I asked the police what I should do if the person turned my Passport on and I would be able to locate him - and they explicitly told me that they are not allowed to use location data for phones unless the person who has it is actually dangerous or a judge allows them too. Apparently, there is a difference in German law between "Vergehen" and "Verbrechen" and a simple theft is just the former - no judge will get called for a 600€ phone.

I would post German links for you to read, but I'm not allowed to post links yet. I didn't know all this a week ago myself. And yes, police can be very active in other cases - I know some myself.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-25-14 03:50 AM
    You guys are the greatest, you know that?

SK122387: Why wouldn't they let me take a dog - they are not selling food? Anyway, Mia is a Chihuahua, so a very small dog anyway.
    That's cool. That is very uncommon in the U.S., most businesses ban animals from coming in unless of course it's a seeing eye dog for the blind, but it has to have a vest on with proper identification displayed. I love Chihuahuas!

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 06:15 AM
    BlackBerry protect would only make sense if blackberries ' batteries weren't removable like iPhones. It would allow you to lock the phone down to be switched off and then you can easily track it. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 06:42 AM
    That's cool. That is very uncommon in the U.S., most businesses ban animals from coming in unless of course it's a seeing eye dog for the blind, but it has to have a vest on with proper identification displayed. I love Chihuahuas!

Posted via CB10
    In Germany, it is very common. Many shops allows dogs to be taken inside.
    12-25-14 07:08 AM
    My heart goes out to you. A rotten thing to have happen at Christmas. There's a special place in hell reserved for thieves.
    12-25-14 12:28 PM
    Sad to hear that. And I can't imagine your feeling when people try to promote and sell their product while u just lost ur phone, in their store...

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-25-14 01:13 PM
    This is Germany - where thieves are better protected than victims - I won't be able to get a look at these video cams as this is a privacy issue... Police are not allowed to locate stolen phones without a judge allowing them to do so. The German law makes a distinction between the "rightful owner" and the "owner" of something, and locating something currently in the possession of a thieve is against the law...
    What! That's ridiculous. I know in the US we have a saying 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' but we still go after thieves if the rightful owner can prove that the item belongs to them and that it was taken without their permission.

Since it's Christmas I propose we all donate $5 to OP but... that's just me

Posted via CB10
    I would donate as well if you set that up. I had two Bold 9900s stolen TWICE within the same month, so I know how frustrating it is. I wouldn't have been able to afford the first replacement had it not been for generous friends.
    12-25-14 02:04 PM
    That really sucks. Sorry man. I hope you have insurance.
    12-25-14 07:59 PM
    Sorry OP that's sucks. Many iphone users are jealous that the iphone offer nothing innovative. I know I was jealous when I saw my wife with the passport and I was holding an outdated iphone6. Long story short I returned the iphone6 and got the passport. Maybe an iphone users was thinking the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 10:33 PM
    Since it's Christmas I propose we all donate $5 to OP but... that's just me

Posted via CB10
    I will contribute as well. Any thoughts on how to do this?
    12-26-14 11:27 AM
    I will contribute as well. Any thoughts on how to do this?
    PayPal.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:40 AM
    I'm sorry for the late reply - I took a break for christmas.

Thank you for offering to donate - I do appreciate the notion, though I wouldn't have taken the offer. But...

I thought I would let you know that this story took a happy turn, as my Girlfriend surprised me with a brand new Passport for christmas - she didn't want a new phone but her contract was up for renewal which is how she managed to do this.

I was kind of overwhelmed on 25th - especially since I really didn't expect it! Did I say that I love her?

Happy Passport owner Jonathan
    12-27-14 09:24 AM
    Hey guys,

I thought I would share my sad story with you:

I've been using BlackBerrys for ages - and I was a (very happy) owner of a Passport for two days. Then it was stolen from me, and now I'm back on my trusted, double typing Q10. Life sucks.

I originally got my new shiny tool on Tuesday last week. The two days I had it I actually got loads of work done with it - I even wrote complete articles on that thing. It allowed me to leave my Macbook at home when I would have taken it otherwise. It was all I ever wanted from my phone. A tool - not a toy.

But then - I made the mistake of taking it with me to the Apple Store here in Berlin, Germany. It was Thursday last week. I actually spent quite a bit of money there - and when I got back into the tube and checked my pocket - well my phone was gone. And then I remembered - my dog had actually been barking in the store, so that was probably when it all happened. The passport had rested (presumably) safely in my jacket pocket which was zipped close, but I was wearing a thick down jacket so I probably didn't feel much when it was taken.

I went back to the store, but of course it wasn't there. I called it, but it had been switched off. I used one of their laptops to login to BlackBerry Protect, reset the password and put a message on screen. I went to the next Vodafone shop to get a new SIM card, went to the police...

Turns out that police here in Germany doesn't care about BlackBerry Protect - even if the thief would switch it on and I would be able to locate it they wouldn't care.

I only had the thing for two days and already had fallen in love.

Now its gone.

Btw: Hint to Vodafone and Apple - don't try to sell to me while I'm in shock. They actually jumped at me and tried to sell me Iphones and new contracts 5 min after my phone was stolen. Wrote on my blog about that - can't post links as this is my first post.

Doesn't this suck?

Jonathan
    Sorry to hear what happened, I know it's the worst feeling when stupid pickpockets are up in action!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android side loaded on the Passport!
    12-27-14 09:32 AM

Thank you for offering to donate - I do appreciate the notion, though I wouldn't have taken the offer. But...

I thought I would let you know that this story took a happy turn, as my Girlfriend surprised me with a brand new Passport for christmas - she didn't want a new phone but her contract was up for renewal which is how she managed to do this.

I was kind of overwhelmed on 25th - especially since I really didn't expect it! Did I say that I love her?

I hope she would not be your girlfriend.... anymore! What are you waiting for? Make her your wife! She's definitely a keeper!
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-27-14 03:12 PM
    I'm sorry about your loss. I've only have had my Passport for four days now too and been thinking buying an insurance for it.
    There are so many thieves here in Vancouver Canada too and I simply can't afford another Passport if I loose this one.

You hung in there.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:10 AM

Nice!
    Think getting an insurance for the Passport now?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:15 AM
    Scam city is a great show to see how people do this, that's why you just keep it in your pocket

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:59 AM
    This story really sucks... sorry man.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 04:23 AM
    Happened to me when I had the bold 9900, left it for less than 3 minutes in the changing room, when I came back it was gone. Worst feeling ever to have something stolen from you, it was right after Christmas too. I spent 4 months on a 9320 waiting for the z10 to come out, and still suffering because of that as my renewals schedule got screwed up at that point. Anyways, now I'm a lot more careful about my phone and my wallet, and I try to always keep my phone in the front pocket of my pants and always be aware of what I do with it and my surroundings.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 05:14 AM
    I reminded myself that I left my Q10 on a shelf in a store for at least 5 minutes. Nobody took it.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 08:04 PM
    They let your dog into the Apple store?

Posted via CB10
    Sean, In Europe ones pets are well thought of and welcome in shops of all types, even in eating places.
    01-01-15 08:29 PM
    This story really sucks... sorry man.

Posted via CB10
    This story gets better! Check the OP's posts afterwards, he is a lucky man indeed.
    And Jogebau, your girlfriend sounds like a true Lady.
    Your Chihuahua, however, may need to brush up on guard dog training.
    Good to hear it worked out, I was thinking along the same lines as some others here in looking for a way to rectify it for you.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 08:51 PM
    Nice to see it all worked out. Most credit cards have insurance and theft protection on purchases for a few months.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport.
    01-02-15 10:09 AM
    Scam city is a great show to see how people do this, that's why you just keep it in your pocket

Posted via CB10
    if you keep your phone in your front pants pocket always, if they try to steal it they at least HAVE to buy dinner first. It's a rule.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:07 PM
49 12