Hey guys,

I thought I would share my sad story with you:

I've been using BlackBerrys for ages - and I was a (very happy) owner of a Passport for two days. Then it was stolen from me, and now I'm back on my trusted, double typing Q10. Life sucks.

I originally got my new shiny tool on Tuesday last week. The two days I had it I actually got loads of work done with it - I even wrote complete articles on that thing. It allowed me to leave my Macbook at home when I would have taken it otherwise. It was all I ever wanted from my phone. A tool - not a toy.

But then - I made the mistake of taking it with me to the Apple Store here in Berlin, Germany. It was Thursday last week. I actually spent quite a bit of money there - and when I got back into the tube and checked my pocket - well my phone was gone. And then I remembered - my dog had actually been barking in the store, so that was probably when it all happened. The passport had rested (presumably) safely in my jacket pocket which was zipped close, but I was wearing a thick down jacket so I probably didn't feel much when it was taken.

I went back to the store, but of course it wasn't there. I called it, but it had been switched off. I used one of their laptops to login to BlackBerry Protect, reset the password and put a message on screen. I went to the next Vodafone shop to get a new SIM card, went to the police...

Turns out that police here in Germany doesn't care about BlackBerry Protect - even if the thief would switch it on and I would be able to locate it they wouldn't care.

I only had the thing for two days and already had fallen in love.

Now its gone.

Btw: Hint to Vodafone and Apple - don't try to sell to me while I'm in shock. They actually jumped at me and tried to sell me Iphones and new contracts 5 min after my phone was stolen. Wrote on my blog about that - can't post links as this is my first post.

Doesn't this suck?

Jonathan
    12-24-14 05:23 AM
    Definetly Sucks...What about the countless # of video cameras in that store?? Good Luck!!
    12-24-14 05:29 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Pretty sad... hope u can get another Passport and get back to a happy productive life!

Posted via CB10
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 05:30 AM
    Wow. Germany in this holiday times is a pretty dangerous place.. I almost got robbed once too in a Starbucks, albeit in K�ln. They already taken my bag, but I saw it, so he put it down.

Btw. Can you still sign in to locate the device on your BlackBerry Protect? You can sound the alarm. I think.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    thymaster and jogebau like this.
    12-24-14 05:33 AM
    This is Germany - where thieves are better protected than victims - I won't be able to get a look at these video cams as this is a privacy issue... Police are not allowed to locate stolen phones without a judge allowing them to do so. The German law makes a distinction between the "rightful owner" and the "owner" of something, and locating something currently in the possession of a thieve is against the law...

I can still sign in to Blackberry Protect, but since the phone hasn't been connected to a mobile network since it has been stolen, I cannot locate it or even do anything. It was password protected when it was stolen, so it is pretty much unusable though. My best bet of getting it back is probably that someone enters a SIM and gets my message or someone decides it is not worth the effort and it gets returned via lost and found.

Sadly, chances are that it has already been shipped to Turkey or some other country, stripped apart and sold for parts.

Should you buy a cheap replacement screen on ebay - just keep in mind its probably from a stolen device. And sadly, I probably won't get a new one soon - as I'm currently dead broke.

But well - welcome to life.

Thanks for all the nice words though.
    12-24-14 07:01 AM
    Sorry to read this bitter experience, I hope that you will be able to replace it soon!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-24-14 01:15 PM
    Did you buy it with a credit card that provides some sort of insurance? Here in the US many cards like Visa, Master Card, and American Express provide theft insurance on purchases for the first month or so.

Good luck.

Kurt

Posted via CB10
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 01:20 PM
    What a sad thing to happen during the Christmas Holidays. Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.

This is a lesson for everyone on here to keep your phone secure especially if you own a Passport because it's a high end device that have good resell value on the market.
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 01:36 PM
    That really sucks, especially now within christmas season. I usually also keep my phone in a zipped pocket of my jacket, always thought it would be safe there, you just have to notice when somebody unzips it and takes it out, don't you?
    I hope you get it back, yet knowing the german law myself I see pretty dull chances anybody will really help you.

Posted via CB10
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 02:09 PM
    Sorry man.

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 02:28 PM
    Hey guys,

I thought I would share my sad story with you:

I've been using BlackBerrys for ages - and I was a (very happy) owner of a Passport for two days. Then it was stolen from me, and now I'm back on my trusted, double typing Q10. Life sucks.

I originally got my new shiny tool on Tuesday last week. The two days I had it I actually got loads of work done with it - I even wrote complete articles on that thing. It allowed me to leave my Macbook at home when I would have taken it otherwise. It was all I ever wanted from my phone. A tool - not a toy.

But then - I made the mistake of taking it with me to the Apple Store here in Berlin, Germany. It was Thursday last week. I actually spent quite a bit of money there - and when I got back into the tube and checked my pocket - well my phone was gone. And then I remembered - my dog had actually been barking in the store, so that was probably when it all happened. The passport had rested (presumably) safely in my jacket pocket which was zipped close, but I was wearing a thick down jacket so I probably didn't feel much when it was taken.

I went back to the store, but of course it wasn't there. I called it, but it had been switched off.

Jonathan
    Sorry to hear what has happened to you and your Passport. Hope you can find replacement soon and best wish.

Posted via CB10
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 03:11 PM
    The privacy issue on the store video sounds more like an excuse. If you have a lawyer friend, he may be able to get you a peek.
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 04:00 PM
    So sorry about the theft and your loss of your new phone.

Here's hoping Karma does it's thing and does it fast!

Sending good waves and positive vibes your way!
    jogebau likes this.
    12-24-14 04:45 PM
    my regret is not getting a red one
    12-24-14 05:01 PM
    No I didn't buy on credit card - and getting hold of security footage won't be much help now or in the near future. Thank you for all the suggestions though!

Getting a BlackBerry stolen in an Apple Store does come with some bitter irony, doesn't it?

Btw: Merry Christmas to all of you!
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    12-24-14 05:21 PM
    Sorry to hear that your passport was stolen. Maybe there will be a sale on shop BlackBerry for boxing day and you can get a passport cheaper than the current price. Merry Christmas.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 05:26 PM
    Sorry to hear, but thanks as I will never go to germany

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-24-14 05:49 PM
    No I didn't buy on credit card - and getting hold of security footage won't be much help now or in the near future. Thank you for all the suggestions though!

Getting a BlackBerry stolen in an Apple Store does come with some bitter irony, doesn't it?

Btw: Merry Christmas to all of you!
    That's why every BlackBerry user should not go inside those Apple places, our Passports will catch some eyes and generate envy hehe.

With my Passport
    AL8x B, thymaster and Tompire like this.
    12-24-14 06:24 PM
    Sorry man. For that bum who took your passport.
    How I owned a Passport for two days - and why life... is worse now.-2e9a0e555fb8e795cfd54e088cc3b4d2.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    12-24-14 09:12 PM
    Sorry to hear about your lost, mate.
    Did you ask explicitly for their help and the video footage?
    Do you think it is possible to write them a proper email to ask again for it? Whatever the replying email, or event no replying email, you could use it in your favor.
    12-24-14 10:16 PM
    That's terrible. Sorry man.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    12-24-14 10:24 PM
    They let your dog into the Apple store?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 01:57 AM
    Of course it's most regrettable what happened to the OP. All this stuff about the video and the police being unwilling to use the BlackBerry protect possibilities is complete bull though. I know literally hundreds of cases where police uses store videos. It's standard procedure. And if the store refuses to hand out the video they can simply confiscate it. No court order needed.

And the police has obviously no interest in BB Protect if the phone's off. If it weren't, they gladly used that opportunity. Had a thing happening the other day where somebody stole a handbag and drove off, not noticing there was an IPhone inside. That lady rushed home, flipped on her computer and could localize her phone. Called the police, and within 10 minutes they had pulled over 3 cars in the vicinity of the pc phone map. Then they simply called this phone, it rang, and this was that.

German police may have its faults. In fact they do. But not of the kind described here.
    12-25-14 02:43 AM
    Since it's Christmas I propose we all donate $5 to OP but... that's just me

Posted via CB10
    dmlis and ponpiri like this.
    12-25-14 03:16 AM
    OP, when you were talking to Vodafone did you ask them to block the device using its IMEI? Won't help much if it ends up in Turkey or is stripped, but worth reducing the phone's value as much as possible.
    12-25-14 03:36 AM
49 12