Laughter mostly. "Ewww what is that?" and "are you serious, this is embarrassing." - eh, I don't care really but the initial reaction is not that positive to be honest and from the way blackberry has been behaving themselves over the years, they certainly turned a large audience toward droids and iphones... so there is some obvious animosity still left behind from the years of frustration and lack of apps.
    Evindzer likes this.
    09-29-14 09:03 AM
    I have posted this on another thread, but while I was waiting to get my refund at the apple store, I was checking my email and immediately drew a crowd asking what I was using. I told them it was the new BlackBerry passport and showed them the device and I heard their jaws hit the floor.

After showing off the device for 20 minutes, I finally told them where they could buy one and how much the device cost. Just as they all started to get excited, I finally said it was sold out and they would have to wait to get one. Then I smiled, got my refund and left. God that felt great.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    That was.....EPIC!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    09-29-14 10:15 AM
    I'll find out what the Ice Maiden thinks in a few hours.

If I never post back on here again she either hates the Passport or doesn't believe it cost me �12.99 at ASDA.
    Say it was Aldi instead mate. You know how our respective War Offices are always on about what bargains are available there...
    09-29-14 11:07 AM
    I can tell many of you aren't in sales.

There's a chasm between cool and wallet like letter of intent and committed contract.

When people realize that their fav, must-have apps don't work on the BB, they'll look at the $500+ price and stick to what works.
    09-29-14 11:19 AM

There's a chasm between cool and wallet like letter of intent and committed contract.

When people realize that their fav, must-have apps don't work on the BB, they'll look at the $500+ price and stick to what works.
    I expect there will be a higher-than-average return rate, sure. Some users may just not be able to abide the size.

The app situation IS better than a year ago, though. There aren't that many that can't either be installed from Amazon or there isn't a 3rd party equivalent in BB World.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:25 AM

Thank you, Buzz Killington!

Of course, you're point is correct, but I think the point in this thread is that many of us are finding that initial reactions to the Passport aren't as relentlessly negative as some predicted. What happens after that is another story entirely.

Since I teach university undergraduates, I just had an opportunity to gauge their reaction. Without any comment, I whipped it out, just to see if anyone would notice. They did, and immediately wanted to know about it. Now obviously, I'm the prof and they weren't going to yell out "What a fugly POS!" So I'm not making any quantifiable claims here; I can only say that they were interested and wanted to know more about it.

In the past, I've chatted with them about what they do with their phones. Overwhelmingly, the answer is: talk. Via Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, iMessage, text, and to a lesser extent, Instagram. Email for parents. The whole "productivity" thing isn't really on their radar yet.
    09-29-14 11:33 AM
    Still learning something new everyday! Thanks...though doesn't work on passport, I'll let my wife know for her z30

Posted via CB10
    Wow.. I am using a z and I don't know that too.. I just tested.. removing 2 words is easy.. how ever I find deleting 3 words with 3 swipes is quite difficult.. I tried and outta 10 times only once worked.. lol

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:44 PM
    This thread gets interesting ever time. Thanks
    09-29-14 04:59 PM
    Keep them coming
    09-30-14 08:47 AM
    Thank you, Buzz Killington!

Of course, you're point is correct, but I think the point in this thread is that many of us are finding that initial reactions to the Passport aren't as relentlessly negative as some predicted. What happens after that is another story entirely.

Since I teach university undergraduates, I just had an opportunity to gauge their reaction. Without any comment, I whipped it out, just to see if anyone would notice. They did, and immediately wanted to know about it. Now obviously, I'm the prof and they weren't going to yell out "What a fugly POS!" So I'm not making any quantifiable claims here; I can only say that they were interested and wanted to know more about it.

In the past, I've chatted with them about what they do with their phones. Overwhelmingly, the answer is: talk. Via Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, iMessage, text, and to a lesser extent, Instagram. Email for parents. The whole "productivity" thing isn't really on their radar yet.
    Reading that (in bold) that me laught
    PonyCrazyKid and Tessierz10 like this.
    09-30-14 09:46 AM
    Sales-minded CB members should start doing undercover marketing work in Apple, big box stores, Microsoft Stores, etc... this would be hilarious to see some more real world reactions. Good, bad, or ugly, it doesn't really matter. Remember when people lovingly referred to their BlackBerry as bricks? Well papa's got a brand new brick, baby.
    09-30-14 09:57 AM
    Can't wait for women to say " what is that in your hands....oh my....it's soooo big "....
    09-30-14 11:56 AM
    Subscribed! Keep em coming!

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    09-30-14 01:45 PM
    Sales person at Tmobile was wowed.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:15 PM
    One of the better threads...subscribed

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:20 PM
    I went to my local AT&T Wireless store. Pretty sure they are corporate and not a franchise/dealer.

The sales person that was helping was excited to see it. Loved the landscape viewing option. Scrolling a page with the keyboard instead of the screen. She was also happy that she had seen it in person because she had only saw pictures before. So at least she knew about the phone.

She called over to another employee and said look its the new blackberry. "Wow I didn't know they still made phones." Didn't even turn his head to look at the phone.
    vptsff and Evindzer like this.
    09-30-14 02:40 PM
    Few i-phone guys were saying its too big. But I think I turned a few people into fans. But who cares I love it.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:24 PM
    My iPhone 5-carrying boss was perplexed by it, and rather dismissive of the size until I showed him AutoCAD 360 running on that big square screen Now he wants one.
    09-30-14 04:30 PM
    Well, I'm sure I'll be one of the first in North Carolina to have one, and hopefully soon. I will report back reactions. One person just told me to let them know how I like it because "I hate my iphone."
    09-30-14 04:43 PM
    "Oh wow, I didn't even know BlackBerry still existed" still seems to be the majority of responses. But then they are impressed with it, so that's something.

BlackBerry Passport signed.
    09-30-14 04:54 PM
    She called over to another employee and said look its the new blackberry. "Wow I didn't know they still made phones." Didn't even turn his head to look at the phone.
    How can a person that works at a Smartphone store doesn't know a certain brand makes phones??? shouldn't they be the most informed? I wonder how well they can advise people on each device.
    vpblaze likes this.
    09-30-14 06:48 PM
    How can a person that works at a Smartphone store doesn't know a certain brand makes phones??? shouldn't they be the most informed? I wonder how well they can advise people on each device.
    It really is interesting just how ignorant some people are to stuff so blatantly obvious \ :| /
    09-30-14 06:55 PM
    This is like me working at McDonald's and not knowing when the McRib is back. Should be fired on the spot.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:20 PM
    I went to get a nano sim for my passport. I had about 6 people ahead of me, I was tinkering with it while I waited and a few people approached me with curiosity:

Middle aged woman: What is that? I said a Blackberry. She responded, oh I didn't know they were still around, wait thats a phone? Thats looks cool.

Middle aged man was switching from his broken 9900 to a 5s: Whoa! thats pretty nice man, what Blackberry is that?

At&t rep: Wow thats pretty cool, its interesting. Then called over another rep to check it out.

Co-workers: "Atrocious", "Looks like toast", "Yeah you've always been a Blackberry person", another female coworker handled it a bit and was perplexed.
    vptsff and Evindzer like this.
    09-30-14 07:35 PM
    The Passport is doing what we thought it would. It is sifting, sorting and selecting it's way through the public. Rest assured, buzz is building.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Thunderbuck and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    09-30-14 10:14 PM
1,668 ... 56789 ...