I can't help you either... if you don't understand that you keep touching keys when typing, the exact same reason why a real keyboard is better then a virtual one, I don't know what to do.
    06-22-14 01:29 PM
    I can't help you either... if you don't understand that you keep touching keys when typing, the exact same reason why a real keyboard is better then a virtual one, I don't know what to do.
    *face palm*
    When typing on a computer your fingers do rest on the keyboard, so yes, in that case you do touch the keys when not actually typing something. If you had read the situation I described (and understood), I was taking about inserting a comma by a soft touch of the letter you just pressed in order to do so. So, if I wanted to insert that comma (after So) the way I'm describing would require you to press the o, then touch the o right afterwards, and you'd have your comma. Nowhere did I suggest that any touch of any random key would result in a comma insertion.

I feel like the simplicity of that was lost on you somewhere. In any case, we'll just have to wait and see how this keyboard works. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Passport since I think it would serve my needs well. I don't exactly watch movies on my phone (just video clips now and then), so the 1:1 aspect ratio would work nicely.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:02 PM
    *face palm*
    When typing on a computer your fingers do rest on the keyboard, so yes, in that case you do touch the keys when not actually typing something. If you had read the situation I described (and understood), I was taking about inserting a comma by a soft touch of the letter you just pressed in order to do so. So, if I wanted to insert that comma (after So) the way I'm describing would require you to press the o, then touch the o right afterwards, and you'd have your comma. Nowhere did I suggest that any touch of any random key would result in a comma insertion.
    And that, just the fact you just touched the key, would result in firing an insane amount of false positive comma...
    There is no way the software can understand when you want to slightly touch or you just rest your finger.
    06-22-14 02:42 PM
    I trust that BlackBerry is taking into consideration that we physical keyboard fanatics will want a device that is as easy or easier to select the symbols when needed. This will not be a deciding factor for me to purchase, but I trust and hope they are going to provide an awesome product.

I'm very excited for the Passport to come out, also as I say the name more it continues to grow on me.

BBFL

Posted via Q10
    06-22-14 02:54 PM
    [QUOTE=II ARROWS;10506201]And what about double leTTers?
    It would be a disaster.

I think u have to wait then write again?

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    06-22-14 03:51 PM
    *face palm*

I feel like the simplicity of that was lost on you somewhere. In any case, we'll just have to wait and see how this keyboard works. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Passport since I think it would serve my needs well. I don't exactly watch movies on my phone (just video clips now and then), so the 1:1 aspect ratio would work nicely.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a decent scenerio, but from what others who have tested out the phone have said that a virual area appears on screen for other characters. But I am so hoping that not the case. I want to use physical keyboard for all normal typing.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-22-14 04:16 PM
    I think u have to wait then write again?
    Yes... then it's slowing me down... why should I use a physical keyboard then?
    06-22-14 04:48 PM
    And what about double leTTers?
    It would be a disaster.
    Mine are facts too. It's not sci-fi, it's an existing technology.
    Your "facts" are messages from people who couldn't speak about it, that have the same consistency as my and your posts.

A gesture is very different from a single touch. I had a keyboard with an issue similar to your hypothesis, and it was a nightmare to use.
    That's the point, it cannot be that for the reasons I explained.
    That's right II Arrows. There will be a special Passport for you with a keyboard containing morphing keys that gives you access to a special place called the II Arrows universe. It's full of unicorns and rainbows and anything you imagine there becomes a reality. For the rest of us we'll have to settle for a Blackberry Passport.

And that, just the fact you just touched the key, would result in firing an insane amount of false positive comma...
    There is no way the software can understand when you want to slightly touch or you just rest your finger.
    Pressure sensitive keyboard. Technology is very old, not sure if it was ever practically implemented but it is certainly possible. Not the implementation on the Passport regardless so it really does not matter.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Last edited by dejanh; 06-22-14 at 05:41 PM.
    06-22-14 05:29 PM
    Are you reading my posts at all? Reading comprehension escapes you. You would have to press a letter, like the 'a' then touch THE EXACT SAME LETTER right after to insert the comma. I explicitly said that my scenario doesn't describe a touch of any random key to insert the comma.

To the other poster, a double letter would be a double PRESS...not a press followed by a touch.

My goodness!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:44 PM
    Sounds like a decent scenerio, but from what others who have tested out the phone have said that a virual area appears on screen for other characters. But I am so hoping that not the case. I want to use physical keyboard for all normal typing.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    I'm hoping it's not a constant back and forth from the physical to the virtual on screen keys. The guy who saw it hasn't stated that you touch the screen to select virtual keys, so I hope you scroll to the symbol/number using the touch sensitive keyboard, rather than go back and forth.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:46 PM
    Are you reading my posts at all? Reading comprehension escapes you. You would have to press a letter, like the 'a' then touch THE EXACT SAME LETTER right after to insert the comma. I explicitly said that my scenario doesn't describe a touch of any random key to insert the comma.
    And what made you think I meant "any random key"?
    I didn't (maybe you should reading my posts).
    06-22-14 05:52 PM
    With the keyboard being touch capacitive, you can make the punctuation gestures.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:55 PM
    Pressure sensitive keyboard. Technology is very old, not sure if it was ever practically implemented but it is certainly possible. Not the implementation on the Passport regardless so it really does not matter.
    Yeah, ePaper display (certainly possible, as it has been built before (with LCD/OLED)) since the '80s is a vision of a foul, but pressure sensitive keyboard is the truth, no discussion about it.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 06-22-14 at 06:27 PM.
    06-22-14 06:06 PM
    I'm hoping it's not a constant back and forth from the physical to the virtual on screen keys. The guy who saw it hasn't stated that you touch the screen to select virtual keys, so I hope you scroll to the symbol/number using the touch sensitive keyboard, rather than go back and forth.

Posted via CB10
    It's probably not. It would be smart to implement the keyboard in such a way so that the virtual keys augment the physical. I believe that if the virtual keys popped up above the keyboard exactly in line with the keyboard keys (vertically) then you could simply swipe the virtual key into the text being edited. Alternatively you can tap to insert on the display itself.

I'm really looking forward to see how this was exactly implemented.

06-22-14 09:18 PM
    I think this is where your confusion lies with understanding me.

This is a physical keyboard. You have to press the keys like on any physical keyboard. Since this is a new technology on the Passport, it will ALSO be able to distinguish between PRESSING a key, and TOUCHING a key. There is a difference. You touch the screen on a touchscreen (obviously), and press keys on a physical keyboard. The Passport will be able to count both of these actions as separate on this new keyboard. If you touch the key but don't press down, that can be a completely different input than touching the key while pressing down. Do you see the difference?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:24 PM
    It's probably not. It would be smart to implement the keyboard in such a way so that the virtual keys augment the physical. I believe that if the virtual keys popped up above the keyboard exactly in line with the keyboard keys (vertically) then you could simply swipe the virtual key into the text being edited. Alternatively you can tap to insert on the display itself.

I'm really looking forward to see how this was exactly implemented.

Hmm, you bring up a good point. Now I'm picturing a swipe up on the keyboard (let's say left side for numbers, right side for symbols) to bring up one row of virtual keys directly above, and in line with the top row of physical keys. Press the physical key directly below the virtual key you want to select and it gets inserted. Swipe down to hide the virtual keys. For symbols you could swipe left or right to show another row of symbols if the one you wanted wasn't in the first group. The keyboard is always used to type. It could still be very fast too.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I hope its a scroll using keyboard. Keep in mind there are more than one person who saw and held it in person

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-22-14 10:44 PM

This is a physical keyboard. You have to press the keys like on any physical keyboard. Since this is a new technology on the Passport, it will ALSO be able to distinguish between PRESSING a key, and TOUCHING a key. There is a difference. You touch the screen on a touchscreen (obviously), and press keys on a physical keyboard. The Passport will be able to count both of these actions as separate on this new keyboard. If you touch the key but don't press down, that can be a completely different input than touching the key while pressing down. Do you see the difference?

Posted via CB10
    Has that been proven yet or seen it done in person? As others have posted that have seen it in person, and stated that a virtual keys appear on screen.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-22-14 10:47 PM
    Has that been proven yet or seen it done in person? As others have posted that have seen it in person, and stated that a virtual keys appear on screen.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    Oh I've understood that aspect of the keyboard. I was referring to the poster who was having trouble understanding that my idea of a soft touch of the same key that was just pressed in order to insert a comma wasn't going to insert all kinds of false commas everywhere. I was suggesting a very simple way of inserting commas without a comma button, but this person has not been able to understand the idea yet. I'm just speculating on what I think would be a logical and fast way to type commas.

Something as frequent as a comma shouldn't require too many motions such as swipes. A simple soft touch (following a press) could accomplish that.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:55 PM

The fact you don't understand is that you keep touching the physical keyboard all the time.
    You cannot fire an event on touch, especially on the same key you just pressed, because you always (or almost) touch it after releasing it.

Anyone who posts that they have seen it in person, are legally bounded not to disclose any information about it. So, if it is right, they are risking.

And anyway, this is the same as it ever worked for BB keyboards since ever for symbols (second page), and exactly how it works on Q10 when pressing the SYM buttons. Why should that be an "innovation"?

innovation /ˌɪnəˈveɪʃən/ (n)
    1. something newly introduced, such as a new method or device
    2. the act of innovating

It must be new...
    06-23-14 04:05 AM
    It's amazing how strong people argue about something they don't know.

And "I heard", "I'm sure", "I think" don't count because it's not based on facts.

I think guys, just sit back, concentrate on your work/family/friends and wait until it's official.

:-)

PS: Sure it's good to post ideas and discuss about it and share opinions. But no need to fight for it.

Posted via CB10
    moegh likes this.
    06-23-14 07:20 AM

And "I heard", "I'm sure", "I think" don't count because it's not based on facts.

I think guys, just sit back, concentrate on your work/family/friends and wait until it's official.

PS: Sure it's good to post ideas and discuss about it and share opinions. But no need to fight for it.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    06-23-14 08:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    In case you didn't notice, the subject of any disagreement in this thread isn't our differing ideas, it's II Arrows' tenuous grasp of the English language.

We're all speculating, but it's a wee bit frustrating when a simple idea is explained over and over, in the simplest terms possible, and it still gets mischaracterized. I'm at a loss for words. And I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:42 AM
    In case you didn't notice, the subject of any disagreement in this thread isn't our differing ideas, it's II Arrows' tenuous grasp of the English language.

We're all speculating, but it's a wee bit frustrating when a simple idea is explained over and over, in the simplest terms possible, and it still gets mischaracterized. I'm at a loss for words. And I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    Well then, leave him alone in this thread with his idea. Open a new one and hope he stay in his thread.

Everyone has a choice...

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:52 AM
    Well then, leave him alone in this thread with his idea. Open a new one and hope he stay in his thread.

Everyone has a choice...

Posted via CB10
    Agree. We can all talk about what we want or dont want. I never said that the people who saw it are telling truth, just that it could be true. And that I dont want it like the SYM button with virtual keyboard for symbols I use ALOT

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-23-14 09:13 AM
103 ... 2345