Met with a friend who works at BlackBerry last night. They have recently been given permission to use the device in public now.

Keyboard keys do not have screens on them. They are regular keys. Swiping down on the hardware keyboard invokes a row of symbols on the software keyboard.

End of discussion.

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    06-21-14 09:54 AM
    Thats not how my Q10 works. I have comma, numbers etc on physical keyboard, which I use ALT and a key for. Only thing I type on screen is extra symbols. I am talking about all the symbols that are accessed with physical keyboard.
    Well, everything is going to be on a couple of rows. I don't see this as being that much of a deal, but we'll see how it all comes together.
    06-21-14 10:17 AM
    Interesting.

I was imagining a single, compound, membrane, with zones of different conductance moulded right into it (thin outline, or single dot, around the key sensed, when key touched; Area around centre sensed, when the flexible dome collapses under depression) -- I wonder what all these layers do; It kind of looks, from the figures, like they include a conductor grid, under the "bubbles", to pick up keypresses, rather than using the capacitive touch sensing matrix for that too... I guess some may be parallax barriers, along with waveguides (alternatively: lenses), to bring the image crisply up to the keycap surface.

One swiftly accessible keymap, that gave you cursor keys, mark/cut/copy/paste/clip_selection, and a scrollpad -- that would be yummie. :7
    What exactly do you work? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 11:42 AM
    Interesting.

I was imagining a single, compound, membrane, with zones of different conductance moulded right into it (thin outline, or single dot, around the key sensed, when key touched; Area around centre sensed, when the flexible dome collapses under depression) -- I wonder what all these layers do; It kind of looks, from the figures, like they include a conductor grid, under the "bubbles", to pick up keypresses, rather than using the capacitive touch sensing matrix for that too... I guess some may be parallax barriers, along with waveguides (alternatively: lenses), to bring the image crisply up to the keycap surface.

One swiftly accessible keymap, that gave you cursor keys, mark/cut/copy/paste/clip_selection, and a scrollpad -- that would be yummie. :7
    What????

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    06-21-14 11:46 AM
    @Mar Lut and dustmalik: Heh, please forgive my poor grasp of language. I always end up writing those meandering, run-on sentences, and then, a week later, I can no longer parse them myself. :P
    06-21-14 12:10 PM
    How about this? Long press for upper case letters, swipe down on left side to bring up a row of numbers at the bottom of the screen and then scroll left or right on the keyboard to select the number. Swipe down on the right side of the keyboard for symbols and scroll left or right on the keyboard to select the symbol. Soft touch of the keyboard selects the symbol or number. Fingers never leave the keyboard to touch the screen...takes full advantage of the capacitative keyboard and could be very fast to type after a very short learning process.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:28 PM
    You're making yourself look dumb. Please stop. There is even a video now posted on BNN.
    Can you tell me the second when he touches the keyboard?
    No, because tha title "show" it's pretty much misleading.
    He just talks, the device is shown at distance for a couple of seconds.

It's my woird against your. None ever saw your phantomatic "fourth row", which is really, really, really stupid anyway.
    06-21-14 12:55 PM
    Met with a friend who works at BlackBerry last night. They have recently been given permission to use the device in public now.

Keyboard keys do not have screens on them. They are regular keys. Swiping down on the hardware keyboard invokes a row of symbols on the software keyboard.

End of discussion.
    Video. Or it didn't happen.
    Only a real video can end the discussion.

And only one row of symbols? That is beyond stupidity, would mean that you'll need to swipe multiple time to get all the most used symbols... that is much much worse than any virtual keyboard alone.
    06-21-14 12:57 PM

And only one row of symbols? That is beyond stupidity, would mean that you'll need to swipe multiple time to get all the most used symbols... that is much much worse than any virtual keyboard alone.
    One row of symbols you can scroll left or right (using the touch sensitive keyboard, so no having to go back and forth from keyboard to screen and vice versa) to gain access to any and all symbols. My guess is the software remembers your most used symbols and puts them dead center of the screen.

You're assuming the most absurd application of virtual keys, rather than a logical application of the technology and software.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 01:12 PM
    Well, everything is going to be on a couple of rows. I don't see this as being that much of a deal, but we'll see how it all comes together.
    It is, because we are used to typing all on physical keyboard, and then switching from typing on it to screen takes longer and interrupts ones typing. And also takes up screen real estate. Really gonna miss having numbers easily accessible.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-21-14 03:16 PM
    They should just have put a thin OLED touchscreen at the bottom of the phone for punctuation and symbols, so when you swipe down they appear there. And when the screen is turned off, notifications would appear there.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 05:32 PM
    It is, because we are used to typing all on physical keyboard, and then switching from typing on it to screen takes longer and interrupts ones typing. And also takes up screen real estate. Really gonna miss having numbers easily accessible.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    You're assuming that you have to go back and forth from keyboard to screen. I've suggested how it's very possible (and very easy as well as fast) to use just the keyboard (since it'll now be capacitative) for typing numbers and symbols, and it'll still be fast. Barely any screen real estate lost too. Stop assuming the worst.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:50 PM
    You're assuming that you have to go back and forth from keyboard to screen. I've suggested how it's very possible (and very easy as well as fast) to use just the keyboard (since it'll now be capacitative) for typing numbers and symbols, and it'll still be fast. Barely any screen real estate lost too. Stop assuming the worst.
    Then why just don't print them on the keys? As they always did.
    When I am on the home screen I can start typing numbers to make a call.
    If this is their idea, they completely missed the meaning of a physical keyboard.

I'm using an application called Petrol Tracker, the comma (used in all the know world except the US for decimal separation) doesn't work for from they keyboard for some reason. I have to press SYM twice (showing the virtual keyboard) and then press the comma key (from both physical or virtual keyboard).
    I know what you are talking about, and it's slowing me down just to insert a simple number even after months I became accostumed to this... I can imagine how that would mean typing entire sentences.

It is distracting at best.
    They could implement this bull**** using a regular full qwerty, printing symbols on the keys.

I am not defending "my" idea, I just condamn your hypotesis.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 06-21-14 at 06:19 PM.
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    06-21-14 06:01 PM
    Then why just don't print them on the keys? As they always did.
    When I am on the home screen I can start typing numbers to make a call.
    If this is their idea, they completely missed the meaning of a physical keyboard.

I'm using an application called Petrol Tracker, the comma (used in all the know world except the US for decimal separation) doesn't work for from they keyboard for some reason. I have to press SYM twice (showing the virtual keyboard) and then press the comma key (from both physical or virtual keyboard).
    I know what you are talking about, and it's slowing me down just to insert a simple number even after months I became accostumed to this... I can imagine how that would mean typing entire sentences.

It is distracting at best.
    They could implement this bull**** using a regular full qwerty, printing symbols on the keys.
    Well, for making calls it could be like the z10 where you use the touch screen (once you bring the keypad up) to dial. That's simple.

For commas when typing (the time you'd use them the most), it could be as simple as a soft touch of the letter after which you want to insert the comma. For instance, right there I would just touch the 'e' button rather than press it, and viola...we have a comma.

Now, most opposed to this keyboard are assuming the worst, but I'm assuming that they'll do something logical (that's also fast) that doesn't require jumping back and for between keyboard and screen, and doesn't sacrifice much screen real estate. In this case your fingers stay on the keyboard the whole time. After all, this is supposed to be an innovative keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 06:18 PM
    For commas when typing (the time you'd use them the most), it could be as simple as a soft touch of the letter after which you want to insert the comma. For instance, right there I would just touch the 'e' button rather than press it, and viola...we have a comma.
    What the ****?
    I worked with a keyboard that had a defect, if you only touched very lightly certain letters (Z, O, M) they counted as pressed. It was a nightmare, to the point that I tried to find synonims that didn't contain those letters. The time spent was a great investment.
    The point of a hardware keyboard is that you can feel the keys under your finger, so you cannot rely on "soft touch" for typing.
    06-21-14 06:24 PM
    What the ****?
    I worked with a keyboard that had a defect, if you only touched very lightly certain letters (Z, O, M) they counted as pressed. It was a nightmare, to the point that I tried to find synonims that didn't contain those letters. The time spent was a great investment.
    The point of a hardware keyboard is that you can feel the keys under your finger, so you cannot rely on "soft touch" for typing.
    This is a capacitative keyboard. It is touch sensitive. The point of a touch sensitive keyboard is to use touch/gestures in addition to press. I'm sorry you had a problem with a physical-only keyboard before. It seems like you're assuming the worst with this new, innovative keyboard because of that. I get it. It probably won't be for you. But that doesn't mean there are logical solutions to the problems posed by people on here. The difference is, most people are assuming the worst, most absurd, and I'm giving BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt here. I'd like to think they're smarter than that (although, I admit I could be wrong in doing that).

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 06:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Someone actually held one and thats how they said it worked. But who knows as they could be lying. I know the one article said capacitive keyboard, but it sounds like its for swiping gestures and track pad, not for accessing symbols etc.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-21-14 07:10 PM
    Double click

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    06-21-14 07:18 PM
    Can you tell me the second when he touches the keyboard?
    No, because tha title "show" it's pretty much misleading.
    He just talks, the device is shown at distance for a couple of seconds.

It's my woird against your. None ever saw your phantomatic "fourth row", which is really, really, really stupid anyway.

Please, just stop. Why are you getting your panties in a bunch anyway? Really bummed it is not what you wanted?

Also, no amount of believing will make things true. This is not the kind of keyboard you are thinking.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Last edited by dejanh; 06-21-14 at 07:34 PM.
    06-21-14 07:21 PM
    ...This is not the kind of keyboard you are thinking.
    Well, that could very well go for all of us.

We'll see how it operates, soon enough.

For what it's worth; I can't help but to feel that having the keyboard register input of a character on the mere touch of a key, rather defeats the whole point of having a mechanical keyboard in the first place. :7
    06-21-14 07:37 PM
    As weird as that this keyboard seems to be, we are talking about BlackBerry here, the company that is making the best physical and virtual keyboard. I could not believe they didn't not try internally to have an efficient and fast keyboard for this phone; they are themselves BlackBerry users.

Obviously I will have to try it before buying, but I trust they will find a way to make the keyboard right, even if there's a slight learning curve as with all different keyboards.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    To be fair the virtual keyboard on BB10 was not made by BBRY, it's licensed from Swiftkey.
    06-21-14 09:21 PM
    Well, that could very well go for all of us.

We'll see how it operates, soon enough.

For what it's worth; I can't help but to feel that having the keyboard register input of a character on the mere touch of a key, rather defeats the whole point of having a mechanical keyboard in the first place. :7
    Except I'm actually using facts and the other poster keeps on denying reality as though it will somehow result in an alternate outcome. Passport is coming in September, final hardware is done. People got to try it. It's cool and very different and I'm sure it will work well but it does not have morphing keys, it is not OLED, and there is a virtual set of keys that appears on screen when you swipe down on the keyboard.

To be fair the virtual keyboard on BB10 was not made by BBRY, it's licensed from Swiftkey.
    That is incorrect. It's based on Swiftkey (speculatively) but is custom built by Blackberry.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-21-14 09:28 PM
    i hope whatever it is it is groundbreaking innovative and...most important-have an ease of use
    06-21-14 11:59 PM
    Double click
    And what about double leTTers?
    It would be a disaster.
    Except I'm actually using facts and the other poster keeps on denying reality as though it will somehow result in an alternate outcome. Passport is coming in September, final hardware is done. People got to try it. It's cool and very different and I'm sure it will work well but it does not have morphing keys, it is not OLED, and there is a virtual set of keys that appears on screen when you swipe down on the keyboard.
    Mine are facts too. It's not sci-fi, it's an existing technology.
    Your "facts" are messages from people who couldn't speak about it, that have the same consistency as my and your posts.

This is a capacitative keyboard. It is touch sensitive. The point of a touch sensitive keyboard is to use touch/gestures in addition to press. I'm sorry you had a problem with a physical-only keyboard before. It seems like you're assuming the worst with this new, innovative keyboard because of that.
    A gesture is very different from a single touch. I had a keyboard with an issue similar to your hypothesis, and it was a nightmare to use.
    That's the point, it cannot be that for the reasons I explained.
    06-22-14 12:08 PM
    And what about double leTTers?
    It would be a disaster.
    Mine are facts too. It's not sci-fi, it's an existing technology.
    Your "facts" are messages from people who couldn't speak about it, that have the same consistency as my and your posts.

A gesture is very different from a single touch. I had a keyboard with an issue similar to your hypothesis, and it was a nightmare to use.
    That's the point, it cannot be that for the reasons I explained.
    No, you described a broken keyboard. Apples to oranges, my friend. You can't compare a broken keyboard to one that is designed to work a certain way and say it would be a nightmare. If you can't see that then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:01 PM
103 12345