Not sure where to post this, but hopefully there are some linux/ ubuntu fans here:
    When I attach my Passport to Windows through USB, Windows creates two "drives"- one for my phone files and another for my micro/sd folders/ files.
    But when I plug into Ubuntu, I get just a notification that the device is connected to "Network Connection 2". But no drives are "mounted" as an external USB drive would otherwise be shown.
    Where do I find the data?
    Thanks.
    02-03-15 09:24 PM
    Geee I saw the answer not too long ago... Let me see if I can locate it.

EDIT: This should do it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...kerers-961115/
    garpt likes this.
    02-03-15 09:34 PM
    Geee I saw the answer not too long ago... Let me see if I can locate it.

EDIT: This should do it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...kerers-961115/
    Wow, thanks ambassador.... But I've been using Ubuntu for 5 years and consider myself an intermediate" user, but this is still way over my head. Someone needs to write an app for smartphones in general, there must be a big need for it out there!
    AnimalPak200 and diegonei like this.
    02-03-15 11:23 PM
    Wow, thanks ambassador.... But I've been using Ubuntu for 5 years and consider myself an intermediate" user, but this is still way over my head. Someone needs to write an app for smartphones in general, there must be a big need for it out there!
    Probably not too much of a need really. 5% of 3% market share if that much.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:39 PM
    But, set the BlackBerry to activate mass storage mode when connected and set the type to Mac os.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:40 PM
    Probably not too much of a need really. 5% of 3% market share if that much.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your second post, II will try that. As for your first post:
    I assume you understand the concept of opensource software/ os.
    Otherwise there would never be a Linux, Ubuntu, etc.?

Folks have written open source apps for markets a LOT smaller then the smartphone market! That's how it works. (thankfully)

P.S. That works fine for the media card (only) Thanks. Appreciate it.
    Last edited by garpt; 02-04-15 at 12:03 AM.
    02-03-15 11:46 PM
    Thanks for your second post, II will try that. As for your first post:
    I assume you understand the concept of opensource software/ os.
    Otherwise there would never be a Linux, Ubuntu, etc.?
    Of course I know what open source is. Do you think BlackBerry would allow access to its api's though. Do you think BlackBerry wants to waste resources for a miniscule user base?

Posted via CB10
    garpt likes this.
    02-03-15 11:50 PM
    No, but let's have a chat about Sachesi....

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 12:03 AM
    No, but let's have a chat about Sachesi....

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I was thinking tonight. Lot of possibility (and reality)_ there!
    02-04-15 12:22 AM
    I'm a linux user. You have three easy ways to connect. First, go to settings-> storage and access and select connect to mac. You also need to set USB mass storage on (at the bottom of the storage and access settings page). Connect via USB cable.

Second way. Go back to the storage and access settings page. Turn on access via wifi. Enter a password twice. I'm assuming your pc and PP are on the same network. Now go to linux and start nautilus (file browser). Press alt-l to bring up the location entry box. Type:

smb://your.ip.address/

Obviously put in your phone's ip address (find it in the about settings page under network sub page). The username is Blackberry, the password is whatever you entered before. Enjoy your files.

Third and most needy. Install a terminal emulator from blackberry world (eg bgshell). start the shell, navigate to your chosen directory, eg:

cd /sdcard

Now start a webserver:

python3.2 -m http.server

In your linux browser, go to http://your.ip.address:8000 and there are your files.

Enjoy!

Ps. Don't click the hyperlink above

Posted via CB10
    garpt likes this.
    02-04-15 02:35 AM
    Thank You, Vader.
    Very helpful info. Didn't have time to try all 3 last night, but I definitely got in with #1.
    Truthfully I trust Linux much more then Windows on my dual boot PC and do all my OS upgrades on Ubuntu through Sachesi as well as my backups. Never had an issue!
    02-04-15 07:01 AM
    I run blackberry blend in a win7 VM in a separate workspace.... works for me.

But for my z10, and playbook i do the wireless method as described in the last method.

And I tried Wine and Blend and nothing....

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 07:42 AM
    I run blackberry blend in a win7 VM in a separate workspace.... works for me.

But for my z10, and playbook i do the wireless method as described in the last method.

And I tried Wine and Blend and nothing....

Posted via CB10
    With the way Blackberry writes their software it's hard enough to get Blend and Link working the way they should in Windows let alone through VM's or emulators. Never had any luck either with those two apps and I doubt Blackberry will ever write Blend and Link for Linux. Thankfully at least we have Sachesi which works better in Linux then Windows as I understand he wrote it first for Linux.
    02-04-15 09:46 AM
    First....ignore most of the KNOBS on this site.....they don't know the answer to your question but insist on posting anyway with just NOISE.

BB10 runs on QNX which is a unix like OS, so you're half way there.
    1. Put the BB10 into devlopment mode,
    2. Watch your log files,
    3. Plug in the USB port, you will see n interface come up, call it enp10s10,
    4. ip addr add dev emp10s10 169.254.0.2/24
    5. Ping 169.254.0.1 (the BB PP), if successful, you're almost there,
    6. Ensure that "Access using Wifi" is enabled,
    7. smbclient -L 169.254.0.1 -U Blackberry (or whatever your pw is for you BB), you should see two shares, "removable_sdcard" and "media",
    8. In thunar, smb://169.254.0.1/media/....and you're in!

You can also get in via the 'sharing files over wifi'.
    Make sure you and your BB are on the same AP and get your BB's IP, do the same as above except you don't need to create a new interface as you're going our your wlan0, which ever ts called on your machine. You will see exactly the same two shares.

Have fun,
    Jim
    06-29-15 11:59 PM
    Although I like your answer, why use usb networking when mass storage mode would work? Mass storage is faster than a samba share.

Btw, link runs well in a windows 10 VM. I use it at work - under a mint host.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 06:41 AM