When I take a photo with my Passport it looks great, then when I click on the share button to text it to someone it degrades the photo and pixelates horribly. I did not have this problem with my Galaxy SIII. I understand that it compresses the photo to make it a smaller file size, but like I said, I was able to text photos with my old phone without it making the photo look awful. Please help, I'm sure it's just a setting I need to play with. Thanks in advance!
    11-04-14 08:48 AM
    I just sent a 2 mb photo via text message using the Passport in our family, and sent it to my Z30. Lo and behold, it sent a compressed version of the photo, 34 kb!

I checked the settings for text messages and there doesn't seem to be a setting to specify photo compression for texting.

I didn't know this... I guess it's a way to save data charges. I reversed the process and sent a 2 mb photo from my z30 to the Passport and the same type of compression happened.

I never noticed this before.

FYI: the Passport is on Telus and the Z30 is on Bell.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 11-04-14 at 11:43 AM.
    11-04-14 09:25 AM
    I believe this is carrier dependant with Blackberries. Verizon I think allows 2mb picture messages but AT&T will allow 900kb or so. Android phones can use Third-Party sms apps to bypass this but I don't think there is an option like this in Blackberry as it uses the native everything. You'll have to use BBM (Supports 15mb files?) or upload it to a cloud service and share a link.
    11-04-14 10:14 AM
    Interesting, because I'm using the same carrier as I had before and I wasn't using a third party sms app. Though I do remember when I sent pictures it would say mms. Does BlackBerry not have the ability to send mms messages?
    11-04-14 10:19 AM
    I just explained this to my wife. The way I get around the compression if it's an awesome pic I email it. Doing it this way works out. Good Luck

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 10:20 AM
    Yep, that's what I ended up having to do, but I'm just shocked that a simple photo cant' be sent via text, which I was able to do using my old Galaxy SIII. It sent it as an MMS which I think may be the key to figuring this out. Maybe you have to change something in settings in order to allow the Passport to send via MMS. Might be a safeguard against wasting data or something. I'm not worried about that though because I have unlimited data with no throttle. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else complain/notice this. Maybe everyone is just using BBM?
    11-04-14 10:26 AM
    I use email too when I want to send the original photo size. Or Bluetooth, but that takes a bit longer to transfer. I never use texts to send a picture as it's MMS & we get charged for that as out of bundle.

Posted on CB10 with my Q10
    11-04-14 01:48 PM
    There is a way now with BBM.
    When a picture is sent a logo on the right side says request HD

When you click this the other person can send the larger image size.
    Very smart as this will prevent spam of large photos without you wanting them

Great add BlackBerry. Thanks.!

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    11-04-14 02:00 PM
    On VZW, when I attach photo to text it automatically converts to MMS.
    11-04-14 02:12 PM
    A new feature in BBM is a setting to automatically accept requests for the HD version too.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 02:59 PM