Hello Everyone,

How do I disable all keyboard shortcuts on my Passport?

Some people do not need keyboard shortcuts based on how they use the phone (like me). Also, the Passport has other ways to access all functions that match to my style of use much better and smoother. Keyboard short cuts are getting in my way.....especially the assistant. I don't need the keyboard to be listening for any presses or long presses for any function. I don't want speed dial keys, or app shortcuts, or anything like that.

Other than that my Passport is my **BEST** Berry of them all. Awesome device.....just don't need those shortcuts.

12-10-14 11:48 AM
    Settings, Shortcuts and Speed Dial
    12-10-14 01:21 PM
    Thanks, but I don't have a listing for Shortcuts or Speed dial in my main settings screen on OS I can get to speed dial via phone settings, but there is no option to turn off speed dial. Pressing a key not yet set asks to set it. I don't even want to see that question. Where else would I find the 'Shortcuts' setting you refer?
    12-10-14 03:37 PM
    Might only be available in 10.3.1
    12-10-14 04:34 PM
    Yeah, it's only 10.3.1

You shouldn't have any shortcuts on 10.3.0 - I think what you are referring to is the assistant cuz when you start typing it will show up
    12-11-14 11:53 AM
    That is not possible.
    12-11-14 12:02 PM
    Thanks, All.

After deeply searching online and inside every settings screen on the phone itself I have concluded that for os 10.3.0.x there is no way to turn off the keyboard short cuts. There is also no way to stop the phone from asking you if you want to set up a speed dial for a key not yet set up. There is also no way to stop the assistant from coming up when random letters are pressed.

Why am I trying to do this? Because I have big hands/thumbs that while deftly able to type seem to press keys when I don't really mean to while on the run or in the car. The safest way for me to use the phone is to turn off all keyboard short cuts and the assistant. There are other just as easy ways to access the assistant and I just don't need speed dial to be active. All other aspects of the Passport are absolutely perfect for me.

Hey Blackerry! Please offer a choice to turn off speed dial completely and to not auto start the assistant just because a couple keys were pressed.

Thanks anyway, everyone.

Go BB!
    12-12-14 01:43 PM
    You can turn off the advanced assistent in the settings, which might help a bit. Yet besides this, there is no option to completely disable the (former) universal search and instant actions. It is a default and usually pretty convenient thing on all BlackBerry QWERTY phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 01:51 PM
    Very pleased to see that there is none of the ridiculous "but why would you want to disable the keyboard shortcuts..." replies.
    Of course, the OP took pains to pre-empt stupid response like that, so if somebody did, it would've been particularly egregious.
    12-12-14 02:54 PM
    Still a very particular issue that will not likely be addressed (as it is probably a non-issue for 99% of the customers).
    12-12-14 03:01 PM
    Hey all,
    An option to turn off all keyboard short cuts would be nice. As for 99%...I wouldn't bet on a number that high. Try this: turn the phone on (not on lock screen), then reach for it by grabbing the keyboard. Big hands hit keys. Crazy to reach over at a stop light, grab the phone and see the assistant waiting for me. Always closing it is just a pain. Others must have trained themselves to not touch the keyboard too quickly. Good for you. Sorry, I got big hands and the passport's keyboard is perfect wide enough. I just don't need short cuts. Oh well. Thanks anyway y'all.
    12-08-16 11:39 PM