I'm trying to turn on encryption on my home router, it's a netgear WNR2000V2. However, the options presented by the Netgear config page don't match those presented by the passport (lets start with that one)

the passport offers me
    WEP,
    WPA/WPA2 Personal and
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

The Netgear router offers

WEP
    WPA-PSK [TKIP]
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

so which one should I use and which passport option matches a netgear option?

in addition, would a password such as sydney2009 be suitable for whatever choice is appropriate

Any info (preferrably with examples) on getting this working would be appreciated as this wifi is running open at the moment and I want to lock it down.

oh and I really luv the Passport
    Last edited by Sloppy; 02-23-15 at 09:19 PM.
    02-23-15 08:59 PM
    well ok, I figgered it out myself.

Netgears WPA-PSK(AES) is WPA2 Personal in the BB devices. And the SSID for the connection has to be unique.

A 10 digit password appears to work as well.

And once again, really luv this Passport thing, damn nice phone
    02-23-15 09:43 PM
    That's how my work is. I might have to check that out tomorrow.
    02-23-15 10:22 PM
    Hi Sloppy,

Thats nice. Additionally, if Netgear allows,

1. You can turn off Broadcasting of SSID so that when other intruders (good or bad) scan for wireless, yours is not listed
    2. Turn on "Mac address filter" so that YOU have to specifically update the router with your Passport's MAC ID and other devices you wish to connect. Only the devices in the list get connected even if someone breaks in.
    3. Change Router admin user ID and password to your choice. Because even if you lock down wireless functioning but left the door open to router itself, you know.........

To get a very good password, use Password Keeper in your BlackBerry. Its suggestions are really good.

Cheers

Oh Is it even possible not to love Passport
    02-23-15 11:10 PM
    Thanks King

i will try disabling SSID broadcasting.

Was already using MAC addressing and I have changed the router user and password.

I want the password to be relatively easy for family members to remember but not glaringly obvious. the password I posted (which I won't use, but something similar) has some significance to family members but wouldn't mean anything to an outsider and we get more than an occasional visitor (it's a big family with over 25 MACs already in the router) that wants to have WIFI while they visit. But I'll checkout Password Keeper. thanks for the tip.

And ya, how can you not like that Passport huh? I had some initial reservations about the size, but after playing with one for about 10 minutes in the store, I was hooked, size be damned. I was showing it to the CEO of our company just yesterday (he has an iPhone 6) and even just looking at the screen on that thing it just shouted TOY compared to the PP. I could tell he was a little impressed with the PP after I let him play around with it a little and explained some of the business features Apple can only dream about (blend, meeting mode, balance etc).

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the BB fold soon. It's a high tech company and security is definitely a concern / issue.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
    02-24-15 04:30 AM
    WPA-PSK [TKIP]
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA2-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
    The difference between WPA2-PSK [TKIP] and WPA2-PSK [AES] is TKIP is an older and less secure encryption method. The option of using either is there to help with compatibility so some devices can use TKIP while those that can get to use AES.

Use WPA2-PSK [AES] if all your devices will connect.

T-Mobile Passport running 10.3.1.2267 soon to update to 2280
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    02-24-15 06:00 AM
    Thanks Dan, that's what I did, so far so good.
    02-24-15 06:42 AM
    Some times I use a slightly modified version of personal info.

Like "KingOfQwerty" is modified to "k1n90f@w3rtY". A little hard but still possible to remember.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    02-24-15 09:08 AM