I just got a passport. I am confused as to when I should be plugging it in.

Coming from a Z10 that I had plugged in several times a day to boost battery.... this phone... with medium use is still at 60% by bed time.

I don't want to kill he battery by over charging (is that possible)?

When and how often should I be plugging it in to conserve battery lifespan, but still have battery life when I need t?
    04-14-16 10:18 AM
    It really depends on your usage. If you still have 60% at the end of the day, try to see if it could last you comfortably for two days. If so, charge it every other day. For my usage, I charge it every night and unplug it in the morning.
    04-14-16 10:21 AM
    Plug it in any time you want to. I quite often have my Passport still at 50-60% at bedtime and have been charging it overnight now for a year and a half. The battery is fantastic on my device. You can NOT overcharge and harm the battery as there is a built in prevention for this.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-14-16 10:23 AM
    Hi @Wiz9

I'm a newbie to the Passport too! Got mine Friday, 8th April, had the sim card from my BB Bold 9900 cut to Nano on Sunday afternoon. I have elderly iPhone 4s onSpring, and do the Blackberrys on ATT GoPhone - BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Passport.

Just a couple thoughts: I'm new to BB10 - found the BB7 easy peasy on the Bold, but I used it mostly for calls and texts. The Passport is a Thoroughbred workhorse - and yes, to be totally honest, I have experienced several moments when I thought: omg, I'll never get the hang of this device... BUT this phone is like learning to ride a horse OR, in my case, to learn to communicate with a very high performance (meaning, super well-trained) equine athlete - partnership doesn't happen overnight.

Here are a few things I have learned about the Passport - in RED:

I just got a passport. I am confused as to when I should be plugging it in.

Coming from a Z10 that I had plugged in several times a day to boost battery.... this phone... with medium use is still at 60% by bed time.

Awesome, isn't it? One of these days I'm going to see how long the battery lasts the way I use the PP at home... funny thing, though, I just installed the crackberry app - drained it from 100% to 98% in about 10 minutes... so signal (wifi) really matters. I'm on my laptop right now, but the PP is just an arm's length away... I have gone 2 full days without charging, FWIW. This morning, I took it back to bed (my dog got me up at dawn and wouldn't take no for an answer) with a cup of coffee and read some blogs on it. wow what an incredible device - the screen alone... be still my heart...

I don't want to kill he battery by over charging (is that possible)?

I don't know about overcharging, but I hear you. I do know that most devices stop charging when they're full. From the reviews, the battery lasts great. I'm debating whether to pay for the $4.95/month Protection Plan. I want to search for reviews and feedback about that.

Until you're comfy with it, the best thing is to plug it in when you're not using it - I put it on airport to charge (phone stays MUCH cooler!) and my SE goes from 25-30% to full charge in about 90 minutes. Yes, the battery is amazing! I share your concern about killing the battery... Also, I live in the country - nearest ATT tower is about five miles away with hills and lots of trees between tower and my home office (inside a brick rambler) BUT even on 1 to 1.5 bars, the PP works just fine. When I know I'm going to be on the 4s, I turn the PP to airplane and make sure no Apps are open. I think that "brains" - tech or biological - need to rest now and then. If you don't need it as an alarm clock - do your shut down and/or your charging at night on airplane mode. Again, if all your apps are closed, you won't notice much battery juice being used, even overnight. Also, every couple days, I try to be sure to turn off the PP completely - although that's easier said than done! if I hold the power/sleep button for too long, it restarts. Mine's on ATT - when the ATT logo comes on, I take my finger off the button and it finishes turning off. Most of the time... : )

When and how often should I be plugging it in to conserve battery lifespan, but still have battery life when I need t?
    I think I covered this already, but put it on airplane mode when you're in low cell signal, when you're driving - I have become a passionate member of not driving distracted - I won't even interview people (am professional writer) if they're driving - especially if they're hauling horses and certainly not with children in the car! It's such a quick action on the PP - have I mentioned how much I love this workhorse - errm , phone? and I'm in the early stages of bonding with it - very exciting and I can see that it isn't for everyone, but that's a bit OT... Hope this helps!!! Enjoy!!!
    04-14-16 11:42 AM
    @OP

sorry if I rattled on - and I'm in a hurry - on deadline, and this is PLAY, not work - but just give your PP a rest and use airplane mode whenever you don't need to be hooked up to the world and shut down your apps. Treat it like a precious BFF (for me, that means treat it like a champion Thoroughbred - think American Pharoah, 2015 Triple Crown Winner - and you can't go wrong!!!
    04-14-16 11:45 AM
    OK... so the verdict is? that you cant kill the battery by overcharging because it knows when to stop?
    04-14-16 12:43 PM
    OK... so the verdict is? that you cant kill the battery by overcharging because it knows when to stop?
    Yes.
    04-14-16 12:52 PM
    Follow-up question if i may, if i plug my Passport into my PS4 it charges nuclear fast, is this somehow harmful? Been doing it now and again, passport is 15 months old and still running like a champ

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 08:02 PM
    I'm no expert but I once read that a trickle charge is better for these batteries. Perhaps someone with a science background in this subject can confirm.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 08:33 PM
    Follow-up question if i may, if i plug my Passport into my PS4 it charges nuclear fast, is this somehow harmful? Been doing it now and again, passport is 15 months old and still running like a champ

Posted via CB10
    I have used a Playbook charger for 12 months (not as powerful as your PS4) and continue to do so with NO deleterious effects.
    04-14-16 09:03 PM
    I admit i'm nervous about using other BlackBerry chargers for my SE - the OEM charger that came with it works great and is fast! FWIW

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 08:52 AM
    lithium polymer batteries are quite tolerant of varied charging cycles. Manufacturing variances and the natural decay of battery components will have a more significant effect on your battery lifespan than your charging habits.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 09:19 AM
    It's no complaint but I get just a day use...how people get 2-3 days is beyond me... I charge over night..unplug 6.20 and generally needs to be plugged in after work at 7pm...

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    04-15-16 10:57 AM
    You know it's funny, I've never had a batt fail on me and I've had Motorola, nokias, Sony ericsons, sonys, samsungs. It's usually the USB chargeg port that craps out on me first. Makes sense I guess, as that hardware cost penny's to manufacture, given to the lowest bidder.
    04-15-16 09:36 PM
    okay, this BB PP SE newbie has a few thoughts to share with you about battery charge...

First of all, it's a computer and the harder it works, the more battery is uses - even if it's on sleep, apps in the background can drain your battery in a New York minute.

Charging - turn it off!!! I just shut down mine last night - don't need it to sleep or to wake up, give the workhorse some down-time - and when I hooked it to charger this morning, still turned off, I checked in an hour and it was at 96% - and just the teeniest feeling of warmth on the back.

During the day, shut down your apps if you aren't using them. I write for a living, and I have two phones. The unloved 4s on Sprint for, oh, 3 years, going on 4, and BB on ATT - started with the Bold 9900 for talk and text and graduated - oh happy day - a week ago to BB SE which replaced beloved 9900.

Overheating is caused by hard use - for horses and for digital devices. You want your battery to last, use commmon sense. You want faster charge, shut it down or charge on airplane mode. The more time I spend with the PP, the more I learn how to use it - same as with horses: it isn't presto magic with a new horse, even if you have some riding skill.

Be kind to your PP and it will serve you well. I'm going to try my secondary gmail on hub and keep the 4s with four gmalls going until it croaks. People are adaptable to the BB number - I'll cross the bridge of deciding to dump Sprint as & when I'm convinced that my PP SE (bought in the spring BB sale) can handle the work even thought ATT tower is 5 miles away with intervening hills and lots of trees - live in the boonies, very rural, farm country - until then, it's simply common sense where the battery is concerned.

Hi Ho, Silver !!!!! love my BB SE - great as a phone-phone, terrific for text, and awesome build. A real Thoroughbred and a very fancy workhorse!!!!

EDITED to fix typo and also to say that Silver achieved 100% charge from 20% in about 65 minutes... : )

PS - the more apps you load, the more memory gets used and I do think that is also a factor in battery drain to support the brain-power, FWIW I don't give a rat's rear end about apps... although I did load CB so I could read stuff on Silver... away from my laptop...
    04-16-16 09:16 AM
    There's an app in BlackBerry world called Battery Fiction Pro. It assits in optimal charging of battery by activating smart charging as mentioned in the description. No idea how much it helps the battery as I just started using it. It has got favourable reviews too.

Posted with SE
    04-16-16 09:32 AM
    I'm no expert but I once read that a trickle charge is better for these batteries. Perhaps someone with a science background in this subject can confirm.

Posted via CB10
    I am one of those who follow this practice and did post it here, probably when logging in with my Facebook account.

Battery deteriorates faster at higher temperature. Theoritically the Passport charger would be optimum for the battery of Passport in the sense that it balances charging time and battery life. A PlayBook charger at 1800 mah would charge faster but heat up the Passport battery more and thus affects it's durability. During the day, I often plug my Passport into the laptop USB port. It will take much longer to charge but the battery doesn't get warm at all. Well, most of the time I charge my Blackberries this way.

Various articles say start charging at 60% and stop at 80% would give best battery life. I believe that these came from the same research where charging were started and stopped at different % of power that the tested battery hold. The result of this research showed that best battery life time was achieved with around 5000 charge cycle when charging was started and stopped at 60% and 80%. Worst battery life happened with cycles of full charge/discharge which reduced the number of cycle down to about 9 or 10 time less than the above (I can't remember the exact figure) .

However I found that this research did not specifically stated if the charging cycles had been corrected across the different charging modes. When the charging cycle ran between 60 and 80%, only 20% of the battery total power was involved, which could not be considered as a full charge/discharge cycle as when the charging cycle ran between 0 and 100%.
    I tried to correct these differences by calculating the total power (in mah) being charged and discharged in this research, by multiplying the % of charge and discharge each cycle with the total capacity of the battery involved and then with the total number of charge/discharge cycle. The results showed that short cycle between 60 to 80% gave the highest amount of power (in mah) being charged/discharged over the lifetime of the battery, but not much higher than with full cycle.

Thus when just looking at the charge cycle without correcting, battery life is very long when charge/discharge between 60-80%. But when correcting the charge cycle to get some equivalence between different charging modes, charging your battery in short cycle, for example between 60-80% would give you only a few weeks more of battery life. This difference comes from higher temperature occurring when discharging when the battery is low and charging when the battery is nearly full as with a full charge/discharge cycle.

That's my understanding in this battery thing and I could be wrong. My background is in science but not in this physical chemistry or battery. So it would be great to have someone specializing in this area to give some input

Posted from my Passport
    double_fault likes this.
    04-16-16 11:13 AM
    Thanks very much for your input! Very thorough.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 07:25 PM