I joined the passport club last month. Took awhile to get comfortable with the size over my Z30 and Z10. Last Monday It was stolen and I had it password and blackberry protected. Well I logged into blackberry protect and had it search for my phone to no luck. It was like it had vanished. After a week of no luck finding it using protect I had protect show it as stolen or lost. I called my phone carrier and the can not black list the imei number as it's an unlocked phone and would have to call blackberry. Blackberry tells me that because the phone was purchased thru shop backberry / digital river I have to go thru my carrier. So after an hour on the phone with blackberry and my carrier, I'm left with nothing can be done to blacklist it and being that its an unlocked phone anyone can put their sim in it and use it. This really sucks!!!! Any ideas on what I should do?
    03-27-16 05:18 PM
    What OS was on it? 10.3.2?
    If so, then the thief will get no joy from it without your BBID password. Wiping will not help.
    03-27-16 05:32 PM
    As previous post says the phone is useless to them, they have probably given up trying to use it, the battery has probably run out and it is in a bin somewhere which is why you can't see in in protect.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    03-28-16 05:58 AM
    What carrier do you have? Every phone weather it's unlocked or not can be blacklisted.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 07:25 AM
    I joined the passport club last month. Took awhile to get comfortable with the size over my Z30 and Z10. Last Monday It was stolen and I had it password and blackberry protected. Well I logged into blackberry protect and had it search for my phone to no luck. It was like it had vanished. After a week of no luck finding it using protect I had protect show it as stolen or lost. I called my phone carrier and the can not black list the imei number as it's an unlocked phone and would have to call blackberry. Blackberry tells me that because the phone was purchased thru shop backberry / digital river I have to go thru my carrier. So after an hour on the phone with blackberry and my carrier, I'm left with nothing can be done to blacklist it and being that its an unlocked phone anyone can put their sim in it and use it. This really sucks!!!! Any ideas on what I should do?
    I used to work for BlackBerry and they can blacklist IMEI and/or PIN!

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    03-28-16 08:11 AM
    This is scary!
    So what if you sold the device? Now you can turn around and BL it and lock out the buyer?
    I saved the email chain, as well as the adds that were posted. Not interested in going through the process of proof of purchase with the police, carrier and RIM.
    My seller did not wipe the device before I bought it, but was cool enough to give me the user name and PW so I could reset it. However, they did not give me the top of the box that has the IMEI sticker.
    This subject has been in the back of my mind since I made the purchase.
    03-28-16 08:38 AM
    What carrier do you have? Every phone weather it's unlocked or not can be blacklisted.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on T-Mobile. They won't do anything because the phone wasn't one of their phones that they offer and sell. That is why they said I had to go thru blackberry. Blackberry says I have to go thru my wireless carrier because the phone was purchased thru shop blackberry / digital river.
    03-28-16 03:24 PM
    What OS was on it? 10.3.2?
    If so, then the thief will get no joy from it without your BBID password. Wiping will not help.
    I don't remember the exact os but it was the most up to date for the red passport.
    03-28-16 03:25 PM
    I do know that on the z10 and z30 if you have a password on it, That after 10 tries the phone will wipe it self an return it to like its just coming out of the box. At that point anyone with a sim card can use the phone and put in a new blackberry id to personalize it as their own. My guess is it's the same for the passport as well.
    03-28-16 03:33 PM
    Not sure for the US but for Canada, only service providers can blacklist a phone. Which I think is logical cause they are the only ones that can block a device on their network

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 03:39 PM
    If it's on 10.3.2 then don't worry about it being reused.

But that's not likely what was done.

If there is a password, the thief will probably try to wipe it. If he can't get into it after running into the anitheft, he'll most likely attempt to unload it on someone unsuspecting, or better yet, sell it to a store that will strip it for parts.

Screen, keyboard, camera module, etc.

The only part that's really not reusable is the motherboard, everything else can be reused and resold.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    03-28-16 03:40 PM
    They wouldn't do it for me because they claim I didn't get the phone from them. I didn't know that when their website goes to shop blackberry that it becomes digital river and they are not related to them so they can't do anything.
    03-28-16 03:40 PM
    I do know that on the z10 and z30 if you have a password on it, That after 10 tries the phone will wipe it self an return it to like its just coming out of the box. At that point anyone with a sim card can use the phone and put in a new blackberry id to personalize it as their own. My guess is it's the same for the passport as well.
    Your wrong even if after 10 tries and the phone wipes whoever has the phone will need the BBID and password that blackberry protect locks it to.

Rocking the awesome Z30,Q10 and the super awesome passport.
    03-28-16 03:41 PM
    I think the Passport needs to have the location active to localize it in BlackBerry Protect. If that is not set, you can put a password, wipe it, play a sound on it, you can send messages on the lock screen and you can also put a stolen signature. That will work if the Passport has Internet connection active. Nobody would use a smartphone without Internet connection for to long.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 04:13 PM
    call in and get them to manually add your IMEI which can be done. THen call back and request it to be blacklisted.However since youve already dealt with this issue their will be log notes on your file. You may not be able to procede with this so may not be able to get hopes high.Just so ya know.
    03-28-16 04:52 PM
    Not sure for the US but for Canada, only service providers can blacklist a phone. Which I think is logical cause they are the only ones that can block a device on their network

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry disseminates PIN numbers that are blacklisted to the carriers. Point is carriers don't give a rats ***. Don't lose your phone. And if you do, no worries. If protect was running, then they need your BBID.

03-29-16 08:58 PM
    BlackBerry disseminates PIN numbers that are blacklisted to the carriers. Point is carriers don't give a rats ***. Don't lose your phone. And if you do, no worries. If protect was running, then they need your BBID.

Actually, there's a blacklist database in Canada for stolen phone.

And participating carriers (which include the big 3) are the only ones that can update that database.

They also check that database before activating a phone on their network

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 02:44 PM
    I've gone rounds with T-Mobile to add that imei and they will not do it. Claim company policy and it only applies to phones purchased thru T-Mobile. Sorry all if I had my info wrong about wiping the phone. I know on my Z10 that my son got ahold of it and got the phone to wipe it by messing up the password. When I got the phone back he had downloaded some aps and stuff from the internet thru wifi. So I assumed that if it had an active sim in it that he would be able to use it for calls. Being that he did it thru wifi wouldn't the phone let him do wifi calling also or does that require and active sim?
    04-01-16 06:24 PM
    I have never used BlackBerry Protect but does it not show last location? Maybe even last boot time or access?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 11:28 PM
    I have never used BlackBerry Protect but does it not show last location? Maybe even last boot time or access?

Posted via CB10
    For example if the phone doesn't have the location activated when you try to locate it, it will tell you "stale location" or something like that. But if the person who is using now the phone enables the location option, for example for GPS or any app that needs it, it will automatically register that in BlackBerry Protect and the ferry next time you try to locate it, it will give you the last known location.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 06:03 AM
    Sorry all for the way late reply. Thanks for all the advice. Registered the phone with the local pd incase someone turned it in and they could get it back to me. Also posted in lost and found on craigslist. No luck so far on either. Been feeling lost without it, so I've decided to get a passport se.
    05-22-16 01:03 AM
    So that means for us, our stolen BlackBerry can't be used from the thief as long they don't know our Password right?

And if it's Stolen I have to go to BlackBerry? Because the Net Provider don't Report it in the Blacklist right?

 P A S S P O R T [ S E]  | CB App |
    05-22-16 04:26 PM