I agree. A lot of people use what's familiar so that adds to the challenge of getting people to try something new. You also have to convince that what they're about to try is inherently better for them than what they were using before. That's tough. iOS and Android are pretty comprehensive and there's not much (if anything) that Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10 can do that the other two can't do.

That said, a lot of people also want a functioning phone that has not only what they need and want, but also has the capability to have what they need and want in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nailed it, good sir.

I completely agree: the battle lies in convincing a consumer that what is new isn't only "as good as" what they have, but better.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    10-05-15 10:56 PM
    How did you manage to get Uber to work? It refuses to work on my Passport. Thanks in advance.
    If you try m.uber.com in the browser it should work fine.
    10-05-15 11:13 PM
    I did love Palm and webOS...
    Example of some real innivation... I had a Palm IIIC which was a super device but the color apps ate the space... comes FlyZip which would zip all the apps & unzip onuse.& rezip on close... brilliant !! Here we have bb10 , android runtime...brilliant !! But, the apps cannot run on the SD external... dumb !
    10-05-15 11:54 PM
    Had a Pocket PC Windows Mobile which had An external card but could not run apps on it... comes CARD RUNNER...fixed that... brilliant !!
    10-05-15 11:57 PM
    I only missed banking apps and bankID app on BlackBerry 10 platform and I downloaded them from Google Play store. Otherwise I'm good so far. For me BlackBerry 10 is the most logical and user friendly mobile OS and I truly hope it continues to develop. Android is still awful and messy.

Made on my glorious BlackBerry Passport
    10-06-15 05:27 AM
    For me personally there isn't any app gap as I was able to get IG and Netflix, fb pages manager etc of 1 mobile market. And the standard linkdin, facbook, and twitter apps work fine for what I need so I see very to no app gap at all, I even use casper for snapchat and that works great too.

However I do understand that their are others who need for specific apps for business and they are not there, I even had to source ebay of mobile market, so yes there is a app gap but that only depends on the user, their work, and how they want to use their phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 06:31 AM
    Two words for me that sum up the 'app' issue with BB10 and made me move to Android - 'Android Wear'
    10-06-15 07:46 AM
    Small gap. Just recently I updated some snap apps and now both my Lync and Starbucks app won't open. This is a bit of a pain as I used them every day but I can do without.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 08:34 AM
    1.5 million apps may be enough for those of you who don't really care about apps, but I won't even consider an Android or Apple phone until I can download at least 10 million apps onto my device...
    andy957 likes this.
    10-06-15 08:41 AM
    Obviously this must be answered two ways.
    First, officially support via BlackBerry world and Amazon, I would say maybe 30-40% of relevant apps are available.
    Unofficially via snap and Google play, I would say 90% or more are available.

For me, every app I need works with one exception, the MLB at bat app doesn't play live video.

What is your experience?

Posted via CB10
    it's not really the number of app but the quality of them....i prefer to have a Starbucks app from Starbucks not from xy company
    10-06-15 09:06 AM
    1.5 million apps may be enough for those of you who don't really care about apps, but I won't even consider an Android or Apple phone until I can download at least 10 million apps onto my device...
    It's all about choice and maybe just one app you need or want. So go for it, I think you'll be waiting awhile though
    10-06-15 09:08 AM
    there's a new 3rd party Uber app in BlackBerry Beta Zone
    That's good news, what is the name of it? If it was Uper, I heard the Dev. closed it because Uber closed their API.
    10-06-15 11:28 AM
    Here is India it definitely makes some amount of difference. Neither the taxi service providers have an app for you nor are the android apps compatible... apps like OLA, Uber, room booking apps like oyo, knowledge-base app like quora etc

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 11:31 AM
    Example of some real innivation... I had a Palm IIIC which was a super device but the color apps ate the space... comes FlyZip which would zip all the apps & unzip onuse.& rezip on close... brilliant !! Here we have bb10 , android runtime...brilliant !! But, the apps cannot run on the SD external... dumb !
    I don't get the point of this. If I could, I wouldn't install apps on an SD. 32gb is plenty for apps and I don't want removing my card to mess with apps. I can see why some people might like it, but you can configure your device to store all media on the card, leaving the internal for just OS and apps. It has never been a problem for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 12:52 PM
    Lol lol lol
    10-06-15 05:39 PM
    *Sarcastic tone* Subway Surfers has arrived on the Amazon App Store!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 06:00 PM
    That's good news, what is the name of it? If it was Uper, I heard the Dev. closed it because Uber closed their API.
    well that's that.

but i'm reading on the forums that the mobile site works just as good? idk i don't use uber all that much.
    10-06-15 07:53 PM
    well that's that.

but i'm reading on the forums that the mobile site works just as good? idk i don't use uber all that much.
    I've noticed that too, but I think most BlackBerry users, who claim there is little or no app gap, are OK with using work arounds including mobile sites. There in lies the problem because just like the old-school mentality of some BlackBerry users BlackBerry also thought why bother with apps.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    10-12-15 08:14 AM
    I've noticed that too, but I think most BlackBerry users, who claim there is little or no app gap, are OK with using work arounds including mobile sites. There in lies the problem because just like the old-school mentality of some BlackBerry users BlackBerry also thought why bother with apps.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    if it does all the same functions, how is that a workaround? anyway i was just stating what was said about the 3rd party Uber app. Get over BBRY users man.
    10-12-15 09:04 AM
    if it does all the same functions, how is that a workaround? anyway i was just stating what was said about the 3rd party Uber app. Get over BBRY users man.
    I hear what you're saying but the mobile site, for majority of apps, do not provide the same functionality. Sure people may be able to use the site and the limited functionality it provides, but the a good number of apps offer a better user experience.

10-12-15 09:40 AM
    Most users simply are not going to tolerate these workarounds. Any app that you couldn't get your mother or distant relative to implement is a workaround. It's fine if you like to tinker with stuff. Just look at the way John Chen was using the Venice - "It runs Google". He's the CEO of a smartphone company and I think he would have a hard time implementing some these workarounds.
    Last edited by early2bed; 10-12-15 at 09:56 AM.
    kbz1960 and ubizmo like this.
    10-12-15 09:42 AM
    If you needed to use Android, why not use the #1 rated mobile phone, Samsung S6. I'm running a Z30, it did what I needed. Been with BlackBerry for 15 years. At apps are dwindling. The old legacy units probably had more apps than Bb10. Time to move on. If Chen was so up on Android, then why don't he include Google on the updated OS. Maybe it can't be done.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 05:57 PM
    If you needed to use Android, why not use the #1 rated mobile phone, Samsung S6. I'm running a Z30, it did what I needed. Been with BlackBerry for 15 years. At apps are dwindling. The old legacy units probably had more apps than Bb10. Time to move on. If Chen was so up on Android, then why don't he include Google on the updated OS. Maybe it can't be done.

Posted via CB10
    Correct, it can not be done on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 06:02 PM
    I always used BlackBerry because I felt like they were the best, I defended BlackBerry. Can't do it anymore, what defense would I have. Every time I see a add that says the app is available on Android or Ios, I cringe. And when they say BlackBerry, it's on 7.0

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 06:05 PM
    Bb10 is the best os. Sadly, many apps are not officially supported. However, almost every app works fine once you install play.

I just installed Sling TV and it is flawless. The exception are apps that don't work. Most work just fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 06:27 PM
213 ... 6789