get yourself a kindle. dumping a phone for one single app is pretty humorous. to each his own.
    I have a Kindle.

I prefer not to carry two devices, so I mainly use the Kindle at home and on long trips where I can leave it in a hotel room. But I do a lot of reading when I'm out and about. Having a working Kindle app is more important to me than a lot of other things. I can do email and the other things I need to get done on Android as well as on my Passport. That's just a fact. The Kindle app still works on the Passport, but it's starting to give me trouble. It can take quite a long time to open; it sometimes closes unexpectedly; it tells me to wait or close. Usually, I wait and it works, but not always. I frankly prefer using Kindle on the Passport's wide screen, so I'm putting up with the performance issues, but there's a limit to how long I'll do that.

I don't see anything especially "humorous" about an individual insisting on having Kindle or any other app on a smartphone, as a condition of using it. This is what smartphones are for. Maybe you'd like to explain why, if the Kindle app finally fails to function, I should just put up with that rather than use a phone where it works well. Then explain to the others who also insist on having a particular app why it's humorous that they would switch platforms to have it. "To each his own" doesn't really explain it.
    FlashFlare11, andy957 and SMocek like this.
    10-03-15 02:45 PM
    I have a Kindle.

I prefer not to carry two devices, so I mainly use the Kindle at home and on long trips where I can leave it in a hotel room. But I do a lot of reading when I'm out and about. Having a working Kindle app is more important to me than a lot of other things. I can do email and the other things I need to get done on Android as well as on my Passport. That's just a fact. The Kindle app still works on the Passport, but it's starting to give me trouble. It can take quite a long time to open; it sometimes closes unexpectedly; it tells me to wait or close. Usually, I wait and it works, but not always. I frankly prefer using Kindle on the Passport's wide screen, so I'm putting up with the performance issues, but there's a limit to how long I'll do that.

I don't see anything especially "humorous" about an individual insisting on having Kindle or any other app on a smartphone, as a condition of using it. This is what smartphones are for. Maybe you'd like to explain why, if the Kindle app finally fails to function, I should just put up with that rather than use a phone where it works well. Then explain to the others who also insist on having a particular app why it's humorous that they would switch platforms to have it. "To each his own" doesn't really explain it.
    Again, you take one's words and paste them into other implications that did not exist prior. To each his own regarding the humorous dumping of one's phone over one app. Your words: "Since that's an essential app for me, when it fails, I'm done." Don't twist it around.

Like I've told everyone else, if the compatibility and/or use of android apps do not work how you'd like them to on your BB10... then by all means go full android. You're going to dump a phone over it. Go android- BBRY is giving you that option because they listened to your constant wining. There's your answer.
    10-03-15 02:58 PM
    Go android- BBRY is giving you that option because they listened to your constant wining. There's your answer.
    Well, it was either listen to it or let the hardware division fade into oblivion.
    10-03-15 03:07 PM
    The problem is that, at best, the core BlackBerry 10 experience is on par with Android and iOS. Sure some people say it's better and others think it's worse, but let's say it's even. What's not arguable is that iOS and Android's software and services suites are much more vast and comprehensive than BlackBerry's. That's the issue. BlackBerry thought that by creating a very, very good core experience it would draw users and developers. But most people didn't think BlackBerry 10 was really better than iOS or Android, and without the apps, it just made the situation worse.

No matter how good the core experience is, the app gap has existed and will exist because BlackBerry can't build those apps, nor can it force developers to build them for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-03-15 03:14 PM
    Well, it was either listen to it or let the hardware division fade into oblivion.
    makes no difference to me. if it's android only at this point i'm not with their future in hardware at all.
    JORENO likes this.
    10-03-15 03:33 PM
    Coping strategy? With android apps, most bb10 users have what they want or need. I have a bunch of apps and not a single one I need OR want is missing, with one app haveing a feature missing. That's it.

The fact is, BlackBerry 10 may not be for the masses, but it would be a great option for 10-15% of users, which is way more than they have now.
    If they got that many users, then they would have the apps.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you use the Colbalt methodology or at the very least install Snap. Neither are general consumer or enterprise solutions.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 05:25 PM
    Again, you take one's words and paste them into other implications that did not exist prior. To each his own regarding the humorous dumping of one's phone over one app. Your words: "Since that's an essential app for me, when it fails, I'm done." Don't twist it around.
    I haven't twisted anything around. This thread asks how big is the app gap. People have given both personal and general answers. Mine was personal.

For me, the current app gap is zero, but if Kindle stops working it goes to one too many. For anyone who depends on a particular app, for which there is no substitute, that's how it is. You find it humorous.

To put it another way, BB10, as much as I like it, offers nothing to offset the absence of an essential app.

I'm just answering the OP's question. What are you doing?
    kbz1960, johnny_bravo72 and SMocek like this.
    10-03-15 05:55 PM
    Lack of apps as perceived by the general consumer (out there) as been BlackBerry's achilles heel, so it's good that BlackBerry is addressing this issue once and forever.
    10-03-15 06:16 PM
    I have a Q10 and a new IPhone 6s and I can tell you without a doubt that the gap is vast. Been a BB user for almost ever but and hope to continue but still.....the obvious remains the obvious.

Don't take my word for it. The market has screamed the same. And Chen has admitted it too.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-03-15 06:25 PM
    I haven't twisted anything around.
    denying it doesn't make it untrue. and yeah it's still pretty humorous seems you're having a tough time dealing with that.
    10-03-15 06:28 PM
    don't get why people mention "workarounds". all you're trying to do is get an android app working on your bb10. you're sick of "workarounds"? get yourself an iphone or android. that's what you really want anyway.
    I don't think you read my comment correctly. I have all Android, iOS, Windows and BB10 and I'm not complaining. The workarounds are mentioned by a lot of people. Some say the gap doesn't exist and it does. It just doesn't mean the same to everyone. As I said, which I guess you missed, I accept each OS and know their pros and cons.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    10-03-15 06:37 PM
    Many of the posts are missing the point - can you close the App gap through some clever, but painful, workarounds like Snap and Cobalt's solutions? Yes. Does your average consumer want to do anything remotely close to this level of side-loading and fiddling and not even have automatic updates of their Apps? Not a chance.

So, the App Gap is enormous for the average consumer who (legitimately) wants to pick up their phone, tap the App store, download the App they want and have it automatically update. That's why BB is now .2% of the market and falling.
    10-03-15 06:57 PM
    I don't think you read my comment correctly. I have all Android, iOS, Windows and BB10 and I'm not complaining. The workarounds are mentioned by a lot of people. Some say the gap doesn't exist and it does. It just doesn't mean the same to everyone. As I said, which I guess you missed, I accept each OS and know their pros and cons.

ok maybe i missed it but are you following your own words? complaining about workarounds on BB10 is clearly not accepting its cons but to me it isn't a defining feature.
    10-03-15 07:03 PM
    For some there is. For others, no. For me, no app gap.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 07:13 PM
    Big enough for BlackBerry to make the Priv "run Google."

Posted via V400.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-15 07:18 PM
    Big enough for BlackBerry to make the Priv "run Google."

Posted via V400.
    I'm going to laugh if that's all it does "run Google" It launches the android run time that says google, and everyone here is assuming it is going to "run android"
    10-03-15 08:21 PM
    When I first switched to Z10 back in 2013 from ip4s, yes there was a huge app gap. As bb10 goes along with updated android runtime, the gap has become less of a problem. Now, I have been using passport for a year, there are only few apps I WANT to use such as banking apps, NFC payment, and perhaps smartwatch apps. Those are not available naively nor working on passport with apks. At the end of the day, like others have mentioned: it's down to each of their own needs. Most of the regular consumers just want things work out of the box. I hope BlackBerry spends their cash on paying major app developers than developing risky android phones.

Aside from the topic, I was so attracted by passport being able to view medical imaging in practice when they first demonstrated on the launch event. It's been a year, but I still don't see a single app for that. What is going on?

Posted by OG BLK passport
    10-03-15 08:38 PM
    ok maybe i missed it but are you following your own words? complaining about workarounds on BB10 is clearly not accepting its cons but to me it isn't a defining feature.
    I'm not complaining. I said the gap exists, even if people say there are workarounds. I acknowledge that there is an app gap. Some people say it doesn't matter because they have workarounds or don't use apps. Technically the workarounds would help, but the Android apps aren't as smooth as they could be. Which I also mentioned if they ran smoother, the overall experience would be better. This would be good for us as consumers since what we essentially look for is a joyful experience with our devices.

10-03-15 08:49 PM
    I'm not complaining. I said the gap exists, even if people say there are workarounds. I acknowledge that there is an app gap. Some people say it doesn't matter because they have workarounds or don't use apps. Technically the workarounds would help, but the Android apps aren't as smooth as they could be. Which I also mentioned if they ran smoother, the overall experience would be better. This would be good for us as consumers since what we essentially look for is a joyful experience with our devices.

The original point I wanted to make but seems we went off on a different tangent is that the workarounds people mention should be more related to the BB10 OS than the android runtime. The android runtime has always been just given as is. My point being if u worry about "workarounds" at all with the runtime you're better off with droid. The runtime was never meant as a permanent solution.

Why even worry about the runtime at this point. Some of you act like your prayers haven't been answered with the Perv. Priv. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 08:57 PM
    Aside from the topic, I was so attracted by passport being able to view medical imaging in practice when they first demonstrated on the launch event. It's been a year, but I still don't see a single app for that. What is going on?

Posted by OG BLK passport
    I've been wondering about that too.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 09:14 PM
    Lack of apps as perceived by the general consumer (out there) as been BlackBerry's achilles heel, so it's good that BlackBerry is addressing this issue once and forever.
    And none of the others many issues they have.

KAM
    10-03-15 09:18 PM
    The Oracle told me that neo er um Priv is the one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-03-15 09:30 PM
    Many of the posts are missing the point - can you close the App gap through some clever, but painful, workarounds like Snap and Cobalt's solutions? Yes. Does your average consumer want to do anything remotely close to this level of side-loading and fiddling and not even have automatic updates of their Apps? Not a chance.

So, the App Gap is enormous for the average consumer who (legitimately) wants to pick up their phone, tap the App store, download the App they want and have it automatically update. That's why BB is now .2% of the market and falling.
    BOOM! This just about covers it for me. The app gap isn't just about missing or non existent apps present in Andy or iOS. It's all the cumbersome, patch-this/patch-that, hassle-filled workarounds you have to do just to get an app to work. In addition, native apps that do not get updated in terms of the information/data they are supposed to present... hello native Map! BB10 is not evolving or improving. That is what useful & viable technology is supposed to do.
    10-03-15 09:31 PM
    The Oracle told me that neo er um Priv is the one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yoda spoke of another.

Posted via V400.
    10-03-15 09:49 PM
    And none of the others many issues they have.

KAM
    Maybe the other issues haven't been highly prioritized as the app achilles. And what are the other issues? Elaborate.
    10-03-15 09:54 PM
213 ... 23456 ...