So I just made the switch back to BB after Android drove me up the wall. I went from BB to WebOS and was in heaven and then WebOS was brutally murdered and so I reluctantly went back to Android. While it was a good phone (LG G3) it just felt so bogged down. Androids are like Windows PCs where if you keep using it over time it will fill up with garbage and just slow to a crawl. I even had it rooted with the bloatware removed.

So far, the Passport has been amazing. The DPI is beautiful and the keyboard and screen is perfect. I don't need a stupid app for everything I want to do and I love the Blackberry Hub way more than the notification center on the Android.

However my LG G3 had something this one doesn't.... mobile hotspot. I just called AT&T and they said I can't have it because I have a business unlimited data plan and they don't want me to "open up an internet cafe" with my Blackberry. I'm not sure who would make the effort of spending thousands of dollars starting an internet cafe and then cheaping out on the internet... but yeah that was their concern.

What is the best way to get tethering to work? I'd prefer WiFi, but I'm open to USB tethering too. My laptop and work PC are both Windows but my home computer is a Mac. However, my Mac I doubt I would ever need to tether unless my home internet goes down.

Any advice would be great. I found something called TetherBerry but the articles on it are all six years old. Has anyone had any success on a tethering app? I only want to pay a one-time fee and my budget is $30.

Thanks!
    05-14-15 06:31 PM
    No workaround tethering methods on BlackBerry that I'm aware of. Android is a lot more open in that regard.

Is tethering included with your AT&T plan? If it is, than the excuse they're giving you is unacceptable and I'd be on the phone immediately. They shouldn't deny you a feature you're rightfully paying for because of the possibility that you might abuse it. Silly talk.

If your plan doesn't include tethering, I think you're SOL.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-14-15 06:50 PM
    I had a legacy unlimited data plan and finally had to give it up just to get tethering. It was worth it. I am on a family share 30GB plan and have never come close to going over. To put my usage in perspective, I get about 8 hours out of my Passport before I have to recharge because I am such a heavy user. My kids tether their two tablets off of it when we are out and I am still fine. If you want to stick with AT&T, there is no way around this.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 10:56 PM
    I use EasyTether ($9.99) with my laptop connected through usb to my unlocked Verizon branded Q10 which I use on my T-Mobile unlimited line. The internet speed on my Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 nearly match the speed I get on my phone with 4GLTE. The reason I got it was because I have Hotspot/Tethering on my phone through T-Mobile, but it is limited to 5GB, so knowing that I use at least 30GB per month on other devices, and not wanting to spend more per month, I used the EasyTether free trial to see if I liked it first...I'm not sure why it'd be any different with your phone.
    05-14-15 11:38 PM
    So I just made the switch back to BB after Android drove me up the wall. I went from BB to WebOS and was in heaven and then WebOS was brutally murdered and so I reluctantly went back to Android. While it was a good phone (LG G3) it just felt so bogged down. Androids are like Windows PCs where if you keep using it over time it will fill up with garbage and just slow to a crawl. I even had it rooted with the bloatware removed.

So far, the Passport has been amazing. The DPI is beautiful and the keyboard and screen is perfect. I don't need a stupid app for everything I want to do and I love the Blackberry Hub way more than the notification center on the Android.

However my LG G3 had something this one doesn't.... mobile hotspot. I just called AT&T and they said I can't have it because I have a business unlimited data plan and they don't want me to "open up an internet cafe" with my Blackberry. I'm not sure who would make the effort of spending thousands of dollars starting an internet cafe and then cheaping out on the internet... but yeah that was their concern.

What is the best way to get tethering to work? I'd prefer WiFi, but I'm open to USB tethering too. My laptop and work PC are both Windows but my home computer is a Mac. However, my Mac I doubt I would ever need to tether unless my home internet goes down.

Any advice would be great. I found something called TetherBerry but the articles on it are all six years old. Has anyone had any success on a tethering app? I only want to pay a one-time fee and my budget is $30.

Thanks!
    This might come off as a dumb question, but have you tried to enable the built-in Hotspot feature of your Passport? If you did, describe what happened when you tried to use it.
    05-14-15 11:51 PM
    This might come off as a dumb question, but have you tried to enable the built-in Hotspot feature of your Passport? If you did, describe what happened when you tried to use it.
    I used to have grandfathered ATT unlimited.

If you try to turn on tethering, it will just give you a popup with an error about not having that feature on your plan and to call to activate it or something.

I think there was an escreen work around, but ATT had gotten painfully slow and eager to throttle so I just switched to TMobile instead and couldn't be happier. Unlimited data, no throttling, faster in my area, cheaper, and I get a separate 5GB of included Hotspot tethering.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    05-14-15 11:58 PM
    I used to have grandfathered ATT unlimited.

If you try to turn on tethering, it will just give you a popup with an error about not having that feature on your plan and to call to activate it or something.

I think there was an escreen work around, but ATT had gotten painfully slow and eager to throttle so I just switched to TMobile instead and couldn't be happier. Unlimited data, no throttling, faster in my area, cheaper, and I get a separate 5GB of included Hotspot tethering.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Understood. But in BB10 there are options for tethering and Hotspot. I'm only curious about what happens when Hotspot is enabled.

Fwiw, I have Tmobile as well and the Hotspot feature has worked perfectly since I had my Passport without formally adding the feature to my plan.
    05-15-15 12:12 AM
    hotspot should work ok for you
    05-15-15 12:18 AM
    Thank you for all the great replies!

This is a corporate plan that was purchased for me by my company. I was excited to ditch my Sprint phone to get a provider that believed in signal lol.

When I try to enable Hotsport, it says it isn't on my plan and to contact AT&T and ask them to add it. When I called them, they said it was impossible with my current plan. I found out my company is only paying $35 for 2000 anytime minutes and unlimited LTE. Amazing. I pay $0 (but I had to front the $200 for the phone... worth it).

My boss was like "Ewww Blackberry? Get an iPhone." But I got it anyways and it works seamless with all work applications and email. So yeah, no hotspot is a small price to pay.

I will look into EasyTether and see if that works for me. Thanks again everyone =D
    05-15-15 12:08 PM
    back when I was on AT&T's unlimited "Unplan", I used to use an app from tether.com to tether. It kind of hid from the carrier that you were going through a phone with a PC, etc. Worked flawlessly. Might be worth checking out if they have a BB10 version or not...
    05-16-15 01:00 AM
    So I ended up getting an iPad and tether.com doesn't make an iPad app that can receive a bluetooth internet signal. It's surprising that wifi tethering isn't possible with AT&T. It really should be.

Also since I'm on a work plan, there's no option to change to a limited plan for data.
    06-11-15 09:23 PM
    Would a vanilla non at&t rom not let you? I use hotpot a load although I'm UK based on a vodafone specific rom.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:34 AM
    I can load a vanilla ROM??? I need more details please. I bet it would let me.
    06-22-15 10:42 PM
    Pardon me if I'm wrong or I misunderstood the topic. Isn't mobile hotspot included in one of the primary functions in Network and Connections settings?

Hotspot/Tethering method?-img_20150623_174446.png
    Hotspot/Tethering method?-img_20150623_174459.png

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 04:46 AM
    Pardon me if I'm wrong or I misunderstood the topic. Isn't mobile hotspot included in one of the primary functions in Network and Connections settings?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150623_174446.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	359046
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150623_174459.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	359047

Posted via CB10
    Nevermind, after reading OP's post above it seems like hotspot function is not available on the carrier thus not the problem with the device itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 04:53 AM
    Yes, but maybe only the device is restricted. Maybe a non AT&T rom would let me do it.
    06-23-15 08:26 AM
    To use HotSpot and tethering, your carrier has to provision your account in which they can tell if you are using it or not. I'm on Sprints 20GB family share plan with 2 devices , and hotspot and tethering are included.
    06-23-15 08:54 AM
    Thirty-five dollars for unlimited LTe is really good. Sounds like a legacy contract that ATT has blocked from using the hotspot feature. That sucks they did that to you. I have a passport and use the hotspot feature a lot. To be honest though when traveling i rarely take a laptop or tablet anymore as i can do all my work directly from my passport. I even utilize vmware and remote into my desktop computer.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 09:00 AM
    I just wish there was some android app that would let me do it or something. I just got spoiled with my LG G3 in using Hotspot (rooted + custom rom), but the actual phone itself, and all Android phones, they're so unpredictable and the way they store their config files and data files is just a huge mess..
    06-23-15 09:39 AM
    Thats not true the only way they can tell if you are using the hotspot is if actually activate it with them .otherwise you are good to go .my hotspot works on my Z10 but I am also using a older os
    06-25-15 02:58 PM
    Yeah, you just go on keep thinking that, they can tell if you are tethering and using Hotspot. On BlackBerry, unless it has been provisioned, you aren't using it.
    06-25-15 03:26 PM
    Well they're blocking me from turning it on. Please help : < It's a business plan and my company pays it so I can't modify it.
    06-25-15 04:41 PM