BlackBerry will provide us an android system for our passport.
    That's not too much job. Right?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 02:27 PM
    i doubt you will officially get android on your passport. Sorry
    09-25-15 02:33 PM
    There is no indication that BlackBerry plans to update "legacy" BB10 devices. Most likely only the Passport has the hardware to run the BlackBerry Experience... but there are a number of reason that it might not happen.

If you have one, enjoy it and you can hope.

If you don't have one, don't buy it and expect to see an Android "patch".
    09-25-15 02:33 PM
    However there's a video about a BlackBerry Passport SE running Android lollipop, that means our chance double ,from 1% to 2%, maybe...

Posted via CB10
    1Criz likes this.
    09-25-15 03:11 PM
    However there's a video about a BlackBerry Passport SE running Android lollipop, that means our chance double ,from 1% to 2%, maybe...

Posted via CB10
    Many android apps do not look good on the Passports unique screen size (square) and developers will not alter their apps in many cases just to suit the small number of Passports--sorry, but that is the reality we are faced with.
    09-25-15 03:15 PM
    BlackBerry is releasing a new device that runs Android. The assumption is that those who purchased devices that run BB10 actually want that. Anyone who wants an Android device will need to purchase one.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    09-25-15 03:26 PM
    BlackBerry has a good demonstrated history of not bringing older devices forward. It won't change now.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 04:33 PM
    BlackBerry is releasing a new device that runs Android. The assumption is that those who purchased devices that run BB10 actually want that. Anyone who wants an Android device will need to purchase one.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    Seems like a good and reasonable reason to me
    However I bought my passport SE from blackberry website last friday

I like it and just hope they will update the android runtime
    many apps work fine while many not for me even power school and chegg works great

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 04:57 PM
    Many android apps do not look good on the Passports unique screen size (square) and developers will not alter their apps in many cases just to suit the small number of Passports--sorry, but that is the reality we are faced with.
    Most of mine application work fine.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 04:59 PM
    BlackBerry has a good demonstrated history of not bringing older devices forward. It won't change now.

Posted via CB10
    That's not good..it's not really hard job.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 05:00 PM
    BlackBerry will continue to develop and maintain BlackBerry 10. Enough with the foolishness. They have already stated this information a number of times.

Posted via CB10
    saint613 likes this.
    09-27-15 04:13 AM
    That's not good..it's not really hard job.

Posted via CB10
    But it would still require resources and manpower, developing an Android variant for the Passport shouldn't be that difficult, but you have to support it, maintain it and so on. It's easier said than done, especially for a struggling company with a CEO who is focused on carefully assigning his financial resources.
    There was word that Passport SE from that demo video you mentioned was nothing more than a device used for internal testing purposes. Personally I don't have high hopes we'll see an Android update for the Passport.

Besides as already mentioned BB10 isn't dead yet, with two updates planned next year. Sure they'll be smaller updates, but better than a sudden abandon ship...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:38 AM
    BlackBerry will continue to develop and maintain BlackBerry 10. Enough with the foolishness. They have already stated this information a number of times.

Posted via CB10
    Maintain? Yup.
    Develop? Doubt it.

Posted via C5303
    09-27-15 05:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah right. They somehow need to sell them Passports, Leaps and Classics. They will do so by that kind of spin.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 05:45 AM
    Realistically, the BB10 OS itself is going to be around for at least a few more years. 10.3.3 is coming out next May or so.... and BlackBerry will continue to provide security enhancements and patches for years to come. However, people usually change phones every few years, so the next logical step is to move to an Android-powered BB device when your BB10 dies or you're eligible for an upgrade.

The problem is not the BB10 OS.... it will continue to please for years to come. The problem is lack of app support. There are just no BB10 apps being developed anymore (not many anyway). I'm sure most people will be able to get by with what's out there right now, and as long as BB10 can still run Android apps (which is doubtful if they remove the runtime), it will not be the end of the world.

Times change. The best we can hope for is that the BlackBerry Priv has the best possible security for an Android device (and it probably will), and that BlackBerry can somehow create a BB10-style interface (hub, peek and flow, etc.). If the Priv is secure, behaves and looks like BB10 as much as it possibly can, then that's the best possible outcome.

One day, there will be only three mobile choices: iOS, Android and Windows 10 Mobile. Pick one, and enjoy.

I know I will be fine with a BlackBerry-secured Android device. Hopefully they create an Android-powered Passport. I will buy it.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-27-15 12:17 PM
    considering I ran windows mobile up until last year and had no reason to switch until I dropped it too many times and broke phone....

I aim to use passport until it breaks too, support or not, it does what I use it for anyways

also considering windows mobile.... they got android to run on it, I see no reason why 3rd party people couldn't do same on passport. But I'm not a developer/programmer so I'll keep my nose out of it, if someone does then I'll try it but won't be bummed if no one takes it on either since I won't
    09-27-15 02:44 PM
    Let's just hope that when BlackBerry stops updating bb10, they do not stop mid-stream like they did with the Playbook. They kept updating that OS with patches that included new bugs and just stopped development when the OS was in a very bad state..buggy, laggy, etc. I would have been happy to continue using the Playbook for many years without any "support," but they left it in a very disappointing state.

Most Playbook owners assumed that it would be updated to bb10 when that OS was complete. Never happened, and bb10 device users should not expect an update to Android no matter how simple it may seem to do.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    09-27-15 08:30 PM
    Updating our Passport to Android need resources. Again, in business point-of-view, if your company is in the edge of extinction and trying to survive, there is no logical and financial reason for you to use resources to something that is no longer giving you profit - no matter how small cost it may seem to be. It will only add to your bleeding money. Exactly what happened to our dear PlayBook...

And btw, updating OS is not a small cost. You need an entire team to complete the process from system review, patching, improvement, testing, redesigning based on initial test, re-testing again, final quality control up to the process of releasing the updated OS to public... now, imagine the cost of converting existing OS to new OS. You have to configure the entire hardware i.e. it is like starting production (from loading OS process) all over again. You probably need to halt the continual development of the new OS to give way converting those devices which already out in the market and most likely purchased by buyers. And expect a lot of complaint feedback - in which again, you need to fix using your limited resources. There is no return of investment on those devices unless of course the company will charge the users for conversion. For being 'free', the company needs extra budget to execute that... and from BlackBerry business stand point, it is easy to predict that they ill never do that...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 10:06 PM