02-21-15 05:16 PM
59 123
tools
  1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love the passport....

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 05:34 PM
    I've used the Q10, Q5, Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic.

I vote Passport. I am in love with the wide keyboard. I find the four row cramped and requires more up-down movement. Passport sits wide in my hands, and I barely move up and down. Also, the double-tap cursor control I find superior to trackpad. Which I found surprising.

Posted via CB10
    Except when the numbers are required and your encouraged to use 7 rows. Got to keep your fingers locked to the bottom 3.
    That's a lot of up and down!
    Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 05:40 PM
    It's like asking "what's the best color?"

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-06-15 06:29 PM
    Q10 hands down

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 06:59 PM
    Q10 hands down

Posted via CB10
    Agreed!
    And it's double typing problem. Very annoying.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 07:26 PM
    Except when the numbers are required and your encouraged to use 7 rows. Got to keep your fingers locked to the bottom 3.
    That's a lot of up and down!
    Posted via CB10
    Not at all. Hold the "@123" key and you can access all of them without reaching above the fouth row.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:41 PM
    The designers deserve credit for the creativity of the Passport design. That said, compared to more standard keyboards, it comes up short. The virtual keyboard, especially the layout of numbers, slows down typing. The spacebar is a bit too narrow, and it was absurd that Blackberry refused to include symbols along with the letters. Additionally, there are times when a physical alt key would just be convenient.

I'm not advocating for the "belt" of the Classic, but I *do* think that the combination physical/virtual keyboard doesn't come close to the value of any full physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 10:04 PM
    I have the Passport, but I got the Classic for my wife.
    I really love the swipe on the keyboard. I find it less straining to type long emails.

The Classic keyboard has a much tighter feel and feedback compared to the Passport which is softer (after breaking it in for a couple of weeks). Typing on the Classic is way more enjoyable than on my old Q10 which developed the double typing issue.

IMO, the Passport is better because I do prefer the softer keys and the swiping for predictions.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 11:16 PM
    Faster? Anyone who's used a 4 row keyboard will tell you it's faster than the PP keyboard.

Better experience? That's really subjective.

#CB10 #glassweave #qwerty
    Tim Heard and nycspaces. like this.
    02-07-15 12:26 AM
    It's really what people are used to. If you are used to the four row keyboard, then you will think the classic is better. For me, the passport is my first personal phone with a physical keyboard and I love not having to use the alt button to type symbols. I also like the bigger keys on the passport. It's hard to say whether one is better than the other....just user preference.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 12:30 AM
    I have both passport and q10, the keyboard on q10 is much better for me

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    02-07-15 03:29 AM
    I personally prefer 4 rows with the tool belt. So for me the better keyboard is the Classic.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-07-15 05:17 AM
    I think for a past BlackBerry user, it's easier to adjust to Classic keyboard. Passport takes a while to get used to.

But one thing for sure, Classic is miles behind Passport performance wise. I think in the long run, you'll be better off with Passport.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport
    02-07-15 05:33 AM
    There is a learning curve on the Passport. The weirdest thing is pressing keys and tapping numbers and symbols. This is what takes a week to get accustom to. Long pressing letters makes caps, so no shift key is needed.

I would love it if the text was more predictive like the Z10, which is a phone you would swear gets inside your head.

Purely, for straight forward qwerty typing, I'd prefer a Classic. I'm on a Passport because I have to read PDFS and browse the Web a lot in my work, so I use my phone primarily as one would use a laptop. The larger form factor works for me most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 05:56 AM
    Question is: have u used either? It boils down to personal pref? I like the capacitive feature of the key board on the PP!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 09:22 AM
    I have used both extensively. I came back to the Passport for a few reasons, but one of them was not the keyboard. The keyboard on both is very very good, and a little nicer, even, on the Classic. I like the size of the Passport, the specs and the 'feel'. I LOVE the Classic keyboard. Both are amazing devices, but the Passport wins out, for me anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    02-07-15 10:10 AM
    I would just like the chance to actually see a passport in person and try the keyboard. Or the Classic for that matter. I wish they would just make the next passport with the standard four rows and make the device just a few millimeters longer to accommodate.
    02-07-15 10:54 AM
    I haven't seen the classic yet, but comparing the Passport and the q10 keyboards, I have to say the Passport keyboard has me hooked.

It did take some time to get here, but I am fully adjusted and can't believe how much faster I type with the passports larger qwerty.

I was on the fence right after I got the passport at release. I kept looking for the alt key, and the space bar.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:38 AM
    Haven't tried the classic, but I would die for a three row capacitive touch on a classic form factor.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 12:20 PM
    I have both, and I'd say the Classic has the better keyboard and typing experience. It's a joy to type on the Classic.

Everything is right there in the four-row keyboard without extra rows popping up onscreen; the keys are firmer and more clicky; your typing will be faster because the keys are closer together for your thumbs to hit them whereas the Passport will make your thumbs travel just a little more because the keys are wider apart; and typing on the Classic keys feels like they are more responsive and have a quicker reaction time whereas the Passport seems to require a somewhat harder press on the keys.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 03:39 PM
    I like both keyboards. It took me a week or so on the Passport to get accustomed to the wider keyboard. Once I got the hang of the keyboard it was a breeze typing. The capacitive capabilities make the Passport keyboard worth it. Swiping up to select a letter is awesome. I liked the swipe up on the Z10 virtual keyboard, and it was great to see that idea on a physical keyboard. I also like the mix of physical and virtual keyboard use.

The Classic is easy to type on because of the size. The only reason I use the Classic more than my Passport is because the phone is more compact and it's just easier to have in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:47 PM
    Passport since I like being able to cheat and swipe when I want. This is more natural coming from Z10/Z30.

Classic means typing every little letters out but if you are used to it, that's fine. You can always set up alias I guess. Just haven't use alias and shortcuts since BBOS 7.
    You can enable and "tap" word suggestions, just like on the Q10. I used it a lot. No need to type everything, not even on full QWERTY. :-)

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...  
    02-18-15 05:17 AM
    That's the basic deal for me. I need a large screen. A large, square screen isn't ideal, but it'll do.
    For that reason, I tolerate the Passport keyboard. It is in no way comparable to any physical keyboard I have ever used, BlackBerry or otherwise, when it comes to productivity. I have been using it long enough to be comfortable with it. The main issue is that numbers are often hard to reach, and finding certain symbol keys can be a pain.
    I really hope that BlackBerry will release an actual slider phone within the next year (not the "innovative" model that they patented) and offer a solid slide-out keyboard to go with it. I'll gladly accept a somewhat thicker device, and even more weight for a phone like that. No need for a "belt." That's obviously a holdover that was used to entice legacy phone owners to embrace the Classic. Now, they can be happy with their Classics for another 10 years.

I have used both extensively. I came back to the Passport for a few reasons, but one of them was not the keyboard. The keyboard on both is very very good, and a little nicer, even, on the Classic. I like the size of the Passport, the specs and the 'feel'. I LOVE the Classic keyboard. Both are amazing devices, but the Passport wins out, for me anyway.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    02-18-15 10:53 AM
    At the moment, I type better and faster on the Classic, which is due to the familiarity with the device size and shape. I've chosen the Passport as my main device for reasons beside typing efficiencies.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:47 AM
    Classic if you've come from a keyboard phone, Passport if you've come from a full touch phone.

All of the design choices of the Passport keyboard that are seemingly alien to people already using a keyboard are merely the union of a touch keyboard paradigm (swiping, not using Alt for symbols) and physical keys.

Yes, swiping for a key may break your flow, but holding down Alt may break our flow.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:52 AM
59 123