A lot of times Amazon prices are shown high before they slash the price. Totally made up cost right there.

And a lot of times Amazon is more expensive even after they "slash" a price.
    09-23-14 07:26 PM
    People want as much as they can get with as little sacrifice as possible. It's human nature. Meanwhile, business works in the exact opposite (they try to sell as little as they can for as much revenue as they can manage). However, given the other prices on the market, 599$ is a very solid price. OP, 499$ might work for YOU, but that price area starts to be mid-range devices. Chen said it himself, the Passport could be 700$ before tax. I think 599$ is very reasonable, in contrast to comparable devices
    09-23-14 07:34 PM
    Very nice comment there.. I feel classic would be aggressively priced at 399. And it does look that way.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 07:36 PM
    People are never happy even with all the money in the world , always something to complain about
    09-23-14 07:39 PM
    Yes too high... i guess it would be given away and a majority would stay away from it. Too much bad press around blackberry

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 07:40 PM
    Its not 599 for the specs, its 599 for a unique/weird device from a company most people think are going bankrupt... thats the general sentiment around

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 07:47 PM
    $599 is somewhat a fair price, then again... Anyways, I'm curious which carriers will have the Passport, and what the upfront cost will be for a subsidized phone.
    09-23-14 07:51 PM
    Nonsense. Name and show homes of 5 billionaires who live in what you call modest. And to say that about Vegas is a joke. Who would pay for anything if you know you can get it free.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1154 - CB10
    here 15 not 5
    Most Frugal Billionaires - Business Insider
    09-23-14 07:51 PM
    I have 6 open upgrades on my account. If BlackBerry sells it direct and it works on VZW I would still considering buying it outright.

And it's Hockey Season so selling 2 games from my Season Tickets I am already there.
    09-23-14 07:53 PM
    I have 6 open upgrades on my account. If BlackBerry sells it direct and it works on VZW I would still considering buying it outright.

And it's Hockey Season so selling 2 games from my Season Tickets I am already there.
    Pm lol, im always interested in some games.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1154 - CB10
    09-23-14 07:57 PM
    Normal Price..... remember how much the BOLD9900 was?

Don't degrade Blackberry... they will come back bigger than ever in the next 2/3 years and they have EVERY RIGHT to charge high prices for prem devices.

This is Blackberry remember... the business is back.

Hopefully the passport and classic, will finally get people back into blackberry again.

And then we'll look forward to a Z4? Z50? Q30? or BlackBerry Visa ? lol
    09-23-14 08:00 PM
    599$ is a fair price, but I'm still not going to buy one.
    09-23-14 10:01 PM
    I do not understand the complaints about the price. If the pricing is too big for your pocket, then save your pennies till you can afford. In the meantime do not complain. The price is more than right for folks who can afford.

I can't afford it but $600 sure beats paying AU $924 to upgrade before I am eligible. So guess what? I am going to pay $600 out of my pocket.
    Resilience likes this.
    09-23-14 11:53 PM
    Normal Price..... remember how much the BOLD9900 was?

Don't degrade Blackberry... they will come back bigger than ever in the next 2/3 years and they have EVERY RIGHT to charge high prices for prem devices.

This is Blackberry remember... the business is back.

Hopefully the passport and classic, will finally get people back into blackberry again.

And then we'll look forward to a Z4? Z50? Q30? or BlackBerry Visa ? lol
    $649+tax 9900, $599+tax some places

I do not understand the complaints about the price. If the pricing is too big for your pocket, then save your pennies till you can afford. In the meantime do not complain. The price is more than right for folks who can afford.

I can't afford it but $600 sure beats paying AU $924 to upgrade before I am eligible. So guess what? I am going to pay $600 out of my pocket.

Passport 750+tax http://www.telus.com/mobility/device...CardBBPassport
    09-23-14 11:55 PM
    If $599 is too high, have a look at the non-smartphone devices.
    Resilience likes this.
    09-24-14 12:17 AM
    It's a great price man

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:33 AM
    1. "Profit" can only be generated through sales.
    I'm sure there will be sales. Obviously if it's not very high, profits will be low, but as long as they manage their expenses and inventory, they can be in the black on this.
    2. Sales can only be generated through effective marketing, promotion and market acceptable/attractive pricing.

Blackberry can say all it wants about the Passport being great but without #2, #1 is never going to happen.
    I think BB could still sell a decent number of units to us BB faithfuls and targeted industries. Having said that, all signs point to some marketing, although it is likely to be very targeted.

The market determines whether a price is acceptable or attractive. Basically, the Z10 couldn't even be given away to save it from being a complete failure -- in the eyes of both the financial and consumer market (and the eyes of the BBRY board, it seems, since they fired a whole lot of the BBRY C-suite responsible for that device).
    The Z10 sold pretty well, probably better than the Passport will. The problem was they made WAY too many and the inventory choked them. So they ended up losing money because of the markdown on the massive inventory. The C-suite deserved what happened, since that was a very costly mistake.
    Some could argue given the grey market for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6-Plus that Apple priced the devices too low but they wanted to generate interest and, thereby, sales to ensure the device's profitability at an acceptable margin for their shareholders.
    I have no doubt Apple could get away with higher prices and profit more, and they certainly don't lack in generated interest, but they make the prices (at least for the 16 GB model) still affordable so as to not cause disillusion among the masses. Passport is $50 less than that, with mostly better specs.
    So, sure, perhaps $599 is a "profitable" price for the Passport in that it covers the costs and allows Blackberry to generate a positive margin. But what if it doesn't generate any or enough sales?

As we have seen before, getting the pricing and promotion right on these devices is critical. And, sure, maybe BBRY expectations are so low that selling tens of thousands of the Passport is enough. But Chen himself mentioned that he wanted to "try to get the market interested" so unless the market isn't the market at large but rather a small segment of it, I'm afraid $599 won't do the trick with enough of "the market" to be taken seriously.
    I agree, but for the most part price is not the reason why BB isn't selling well, as it has more to do with other factors and that will make it not be a huge seller in the market. So with that in mind, they had to evaluate what would be a good price that isn't so high as to drive away those who may consider it, and perhaps a bit lower than the competition to help give them a push. I think this price is good for those that would otherwise already be open to the Passport and may be on the fence.
    09-24-14 12:53 AM
    599$ is a very good price in the States. Unfortunately, in Europe price will be also 599, but �. Add to this VAT of at least 20% and you get a +720� device in many countries on the old continent. Factor in the current ratio �/$ and you'll see a hefty price of +920$. Well, that's very steep indeed.
    The option to order it from US is not good, since VAT + customs taxes applies to any incoming goods outside of EU.
    So the circle gets rounded.
    Unfortunately, the price won't fall in the near future -at least that's my prediction. This means sales in Europe won't blow anyone out of the water. The phone #6 is 1,000� here and there are many with herd mentality.
    To sum it up, lucky bastards live in US. Rest of the world gets fingered. /pardon my french\
    09-24-14 02:17 AM
    USD 599 price is value for money .
    09-24-14 02:25 AM
    I paid $579 for Q10, so no.
    09-24-14 04:04 AM
    I think it's a bargain. Will get one soon as I figure two things: is T-MO usa serious about getting back in the hay with BBerry? And, if not, easiest place to acquire.
    09-24-14 04:10 AM
    i would not mind spending even a thousand euros to secure my cell phone !!
    09-24-14 06:47 AM
    I think it's a fair price for me to buy, consider the fact that this can run most of the Android apps this phone is very powerful - a very good battery, screen (I think it's good for enterprise users like me...), keyboard (hate touch screen typing), security (no doubt), etc.

But is this price good enough for BB come back? in this case maybe $599 is too expansive... I don't know, only time can tell.
    09-24-14 08:44 AM
    599$ is a very good price in the States. Unfortunately, in Europe price will be also 599, but €. Add to this VAT of at least 20% and you get a +720€ device in many countries on the old continent. Factor in the current ratio €/$ and you'll see a hefty price of +920$. Well, that's very steep indeed.
    The option to order it from US is not good, since VAT + customs taxes applies to any incoming goods outside of EU.
    So the circle gets rounded.
    Unfortunately, the price won't fall in the near future -at least that's my prediction. This means sales in Europe won't blow anyone out of the water. The phone #6 is 1,000€ here and there are many with herd mentality.
    To sum it up, lucky bastards live in US. Rest of the world gets fingered. /pardon my french\
    in europe is 650€ :S
    09-24-14 12:56 PM
    650 euro makes $810

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 02:29 PM
282 ... 89101112