I haven't looked at this site since the days of the Bold, back when iOS was getting warm and Android was just becoming a thing. I must confess that I haven't even considered a Blackberry device since then. I have had dozens of Android phones (Most of the flagships) and every iPhone except the 5c (because, honestly, who wants that phone?). Then, the Passport was announced. The hardware looked amazing on paper. When they slashed it $200 on Black Friday, I took the plunge. My thoughts: I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING!

I currently own an iPhone 6 Plus and Note 4. I get bored with either of them after less than a day of use. For me, Android and iOS have become stagnant. I was itching to try something new. I'm not put off at all by the Passport's form factor. I actually find it pretty endearing. I love Blackberry OS. I didn't even bother with the Z10 or Z30 because I didn't like the hardware specs, but I've got to say that this thing is amazing.

The best part for me is the apps. Blackberry World is a wasteland, but between Amazon App store and Snap (but really just Snap), I can install/run pretty much any Android app I want. This is what makes this phone a viable replacement for me. I tried Windows Phone several times, but the lack of app support (with more developers dropping support every week) killed it for me.

I'm a huge fan of the Hub, the UI, and some of the awesome Menu settings (like device monitor). So, while I bought this as an experiment, expecting that I might return it, it looks like I'll be sticking around. I haven't even touched my Note or iPhone since I received the Blackberry.

The ONE thing I would honestly like to see is some improvements to the camera app, specifically the shutter. If there's any movement at all, I get blur. Other than that, I haven't found any real issues and it amazes me how well Android apps run on this thing with no issues. I've only really run across a few that don't quite work right. And I'm completely blown away that I get notifications for them in the Hub.

I really don't see Blackberry as being around for much longer. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong because the Passport is proof to me that they still have it.
    12-01-14 03:57 PM
    The Hub is a pretty amazing thing!

Welcome to CrackBerry, hope you'll stick around and be part of the community!!
    12-01-14 04:32 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

I really enjoyed your unique perspective. Hopefully more non-BB users give BB10 a shot and it becomes less and less unique.

PS Please update your profile to show that Passport. Enjoy!
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-01-14 04:34 PM
    Consider installing a 10.3.1 BB10 OS leak found in these forums. I've read it improves the camera focus on the Passport greatly.

Or just wait for your carrier to release it for install over the air sometime in the new year.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-01-14 04:47 PM
    Thank you for your honest feedback.. Glad that some people see value in the Passport and the OS. We have android, Ios (Iphone6) in our household and I work with all three. But truly with the passport and the BB HUB, I can't stand the ios operating system, very limited and frustrating to work with. I do like the hardware for the Iphone 6.. My wife is happy and happy wife, happy home. I installed the 10.3.1.1154 leak fresh install (autoloader) and I love this version and the camera app is fixed in this version, very fast and super clear. Even the white balance is quite good. I know photography,, so I use my phone the odd time or two when I don't have my professional SLR..

My other feature with the BB OS is the search facility within the device.. truly amazing capabilities.. The email, contact list is second to none as far as I am concerned.. But all OS has their strength and weakness.. there are things I like about ios(simplicity) and android for advanced features.. It all depends your needs and wants. I need a professional workhorse to do my job..
    Last edited by ArsenG; 12-01-14 at 08:44 PM.
    j21jam6 and thymaster like this.
    12-01-14 05:01 PM
    I haven't looked at this site since the days of the Bold, back when iOS was getting warm and Android was just becoming a thing. I must confess that I haven't even considered a Blackberry device since then. I have had dozens of Android phones (Most of the flagships) and every iPhone except the 5c (because, honestly, who wants that phone?). Then, the Passport was announced. The hardware looked amazing on paper. When they slashed it $200 on Black Friday, I took the plunge. My thoughts: I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING!

I currently own an iPhone 6 Plus and Note 4. I get bored with either of them after less than a day of use. For me, Android and iOS have become stagnant. I was itching to try something new. I'm not put off at all by the Passport's form factor. I actually find it pretty endearing. I love Blackberry OS. I didn't even bother with the Z10 or Z30 because I didn't like the hardware specs, but I've got to say that this thing is amazing.

The best part for me is the apps. Blackberry World is a wasteland, but between Amazon App store and Snap (but really just Snap), I can install/run pretty much any Android app I want. This is what makes this phone a viable replacement for me. I tried Windows Phone several times, but the lack of app support (with more developers dropping support every week) killed it for me.

I'm a huge fan of the Hub, the UI, and some of the awesome Menu settings (like device monitor). So, while I bought this as an experiment, expecting that I might return it, it looks like I'll be sticking around. I haven't even touched my Note or iPhone since I received the Blackberry.

The ONE thing I would honestly like to see is some improvements to the camera app, specifically the shutter. If there's any movement at all, I get blur. Other than that, I haven't found any real issues and it amazes me how well Android apps run on this thing with no issues. I've only really run across a few that don't quite work right. And I'm completely blown away that I get notifications for them in the Hub.

I really don't see Blackberry as being around for much longer. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong because the Passport is proof to me that they still have it.
    OP What do you do that you own all those phones? Tech Reviewer?

Posted via CB Chen
    12-01-14 05:15 PM
    I made the decision to make the jump back to BlackBerry 100% and I am not turning back. I have had a love hate relationship with the brand, even after the issues I had with my z10 (reboots), I bought a z30 which I really liked.

I tried to venture away and back to IOS and found myself missing the Hub and the features of OS10. I bought the passport on launch day and I love the device. I have bought three more since then for some of my clients who liked the device after seeing mine and trying it out.

The passport is by far the best BlackBerry device I have had and OS10 continues to improve with each update. For me my passport let's me be more productive and I enjoy having folks ask me "what the hell is that" every time I bring it out to check my messages. I am proud to be a part of this unique community.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-01-14 05:56 PM
    What makes you think BlackBerry won't be around much longer...

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 05:57 PM
    What did your friends and family say about you carrying a BlackBerry? That you are such an old school and stuck in 2008?
    12-01-14 06:07 PM
    It's a strange thing coming to Blackberry from Android for me. Not bad strange of course, as the Hub has most usage for me, emails, whatsapp, sms . . . And nearly every other app I use separately to the Hub is an Android app from Snap or sideloaded directly. It is almost like a best of both worlds phone for me. All the apps I could want pretty much (and all the ones I paid for on Android) + the underlying usefulness of the OS itself = one great phone with very little in the way of real negatives so far.
    12-01-14 06:08 PM
    Welcome back

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-01-14 06:32 PM
    OP, your post brought tears to my eyes,

if only more people were open minded like you........
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    12-01-14 08:14 PM
    As to your statement about BlackBerry not being around for much longer, understand this: The governments that matter around the planet, use BlackBerry phones. Most corporations utilize BlackBerry phones for the upper echelon. But BlackBerry is so much more than phones. From QNX, to the most secure enterprise services on the planet, to the "Internet of things", BlackBerry is heavily fortified to withstand any turmoil in the marketplace, and any whims the general public may have. Believe it.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 11:00 PM
    Really enjoyed reading your take on the BlackBerry Passport. The Passport is such a great phone, and when someone like yourself experiences its' greatness, and describes it as well as you did, and with all your experience with other phones to boot, this makes it that much more exciting (cause you do know about what you talking about, even if you are just expressing your opinions about it). Others (perhaps many others) will someday experience the Passport as you have, and help propel the BlackBerry Passport everywhere in healthy quantities. The Passport has the potential to provide many people a new cool productivity phone. May this wish come to pass, and may we see BlackBerry become stronger, and healthier each day. Long live BlackBerry, and the Passport which is truly Amazing Technology. I love my Passport.
    thymaster and j21jam6 like this.
    12-02-14 12:15 AM
    It's good to read posts like the OP's, but it's also good to remember that the whole "BlackBerry not being around much longer" sentiment has largely dissipated from the media and even analysts.

To the average consumer, most notably us Americans, BlackBerry isn't around any longer. Their most popular phone in years, the Passport, is entering its third month of availability, and is nowhere to be found in stores. Until recently, one had to have $599 + tax to get a Passport, and now they have to have good credit in order to make use of Pay Pal Credit or Amazon's version of the same.

It is now December, and until a few days ago, BlackBerry had released one phone model in one color (black Passport), and two phones if you count the Z3. This from the company that, just last year, in 2013, had Z10s in three colors, a Q10 in three color combos, Q5 in a multitude of colors, the Z30 in two colors, and the P'9982.

What I'm saying is, the peak of "BlackBerry not being around much longer" is behind us. From September 2013 to September 2014, BlackBerry didn't launch a phone anywhere outside of those emerging markets. Those were kind of dark times for a BlackBerry fan, waiting a year between flagship phones. BlackBerry had nothing new to offer us. But we made it through! And look at BlackBerry now. The Passport, now in three colors, is off to a much better than anticipated start thanks to proper direct sales and a partnership with Amazon, the Classic is just a couple weeks away, and John Chen has said that a Passport 2 and Classic 2 will be developed, and that they have a "very strong" device roadmap which will be talked about at Mobile World Congress a few months from now, in March.
    Last edited by SK122387; 12-02-14 at 02:17 AM.
    12-02-14 12:36 AM
    blackberry has come a long way in the last couple of years and things are getting better all the time nice to see you are enjoying bb10 and the passport
    andy957 likes this.
    12-02-14 12:58 AM
    Welcome back! I truly can not imagine not owning this device called the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    howards likes this.
    12-02-14 01:07 AM
    It's good to read post's like the OP's, but it's also good to remember that the whole "BlackBerry not being around much longer" sentiment has largely dissipated from the media and even analysts.

To the average consumer, most notably us Americans, BlackBerry isn't around any longer. Their most popular phone in years, the Passport, is entering its third month of availability, and is nowhere to be found in stores. Until recently, one had to have $599 + tax to get a Passport, and now they have to have good credit in order to make use of Pay Pal Credit or Amazon's version of the same.

It is now December, and until a few days ago, BlackBerry had released one phone model in one color (black Passport), and two phones if you count the Z3. This from the company that, just last year, in 2013, had Z10s in three colors, a Q10 in three color combos, Q5 in a multitude of colors, the Z30 in two colors, and the P'9982.

What I'm saying is, the peak of "BlackBerry not being around much longer" is behind us. From September 2013 to September 2014, BlackBerry didn't launch a phone anywhere outside of those emerging markets. Those were kind of dark times for a BlackBerry fan, waiting a year between flagship phones. BlackBerry had nothing new to offer us. But we made it through! And look at BlackBerry now. The Passport, now in three colors, is off to a much better than anticipated start thanks to proper direct sales and a partnership with Amazon, the Classic is just a couple weeks away, and John Chen has said that a Passport 2 and Classic 2 will be developed, and that they have a "very strong" device roadmap which will be talked about at Mobile World Congress a few months from now, in March.
    One of the best posts I've ever read on Crackberry. Whatever you're doing presently as a 9-5, believe me when I tell you, it's not your calling. You my friend are a natural talent at writing. Trust me. Do me one favor. Find something you not only love, but something you're passionate about, and write about it. You have rare and real talent at expressing your thoughts & views in a narrative. And to boot, you were smart enough to summarize it all at the end in a way my four year old niece would understand.
    Great post.
    At the very least Crackberry Should hire you as an editor. The grammatical and spelling errors alone make me cringe daily. Honestly, I do expect a lot more from this site in this regard.
    And if anyone associated with this site is bothered, offender, or taken aback by this last comment then look in the mirror, take a deep breath, rally the troops, and fix the problem.
    Posted one-handed via Z30
    12-02-14 01:26 AM
    One of the best posts I've ever read on Crackberry. Whatever you're doing presently as a 9-5, believe me when I tell you, it's not your calling. You my friend are a natural talent at writing. Trust me. Do me one favor. Find something you not only love, but something you're passionate about, and write about it. You have rare and real talent at expressing your thoughts & views in a narrative. And to boot, you were smart enough to summarize it all at the end in a way my four year old niece would understand.
    Great post.
    At the very least Crackberry Should hire you as an editor. The grammatical and spelling errors alone make me cringe daily. Honestly, I do expect a lot more from this site in this regard.
    And if anyone associated with this site is bothered, offender, or taken aback by this last comment then look in the mirror, take a deep breath, rally the troops, and fix the problem.
    Posted one-handed via Z30
    Thank you! I appreciate that. It's easy to write about things I care about, and BlackBerry is one of those things. The OP didn't mean it in a bad way, but the "BlackBerry isn't going to be around much longer" line was something that really bothered me back when the future of the company was really in a state of flux, because I'd hear it all the time. All my friends and family know that I'm a diehard BlackBerry fan/user/lover, so when BlackBerry's state of affairs had broken outside of the tech blogs and spilled onto regular news sites/programs, even people who aren't mobile tech enthusiasts read or heard about BlackBerry being up for sale. I'm sure there are still people who think BlackBerry is up for sale or out of business, all because their phones aren't on store shelves.

Of course, now that BlackBerry has essentially turned the corner and is back on more solid financial ground, hardly any news of its comeback is making it to the mainstream news sites. "The media" loves to see a giant fall, but isn't quite as interested in seeing it get back up again. I think the Passport is a great statement phone, because it's the epitome of a comeback device. It's gotten the company real, meaningful attention, it's big, bold and most importantly, it's selling.
    Ealaionta and j21jam6 like this.
    12-02-14 02:40 AM
    @OP you got to try a Z10 or Z30 to know that specs doesn't really matter much for BlackBerry 10 OS. Those guys are as smooth as silk

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 02:49 AM
    Why won't BlackBerry be around much longer? I'm curious OP?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 04:41 AM
    Welcome back! I truly can not imagine not owning this device called the passport.

^^ Sorry, I just found this funny.....
    Ealaionta and menshawy like this.
    12-02-14 05:39 AM
    Consider installing a 10.3.1 BB10 OS leak found in these forums. I've read it improves the camera focus on the Passport greatly.

Or just wait for your carrier to release it for install over the air sometime in the new year.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    I have the unlocked version, though it seems to have some AT&T components (address book). So, maybe I'll get the update soon. Then again, maybe not.
    12-02-14 09:41 AM
    Why won't BlackBerry be around much longer? I'm curious OP?

Posted via CB10
    It's not a slight against Blackberry. It just seems to be what the market is saying. Despite what a great device the Passport is, it's not selling well. The form factor is kind of polarizing for many. The Blackberry iPhone trade-in program is an indication of that. They're practically giving them away, which isn't a good sign.

They have been struggling for years and nearly died off twice now. I like the new direction they're headed and Chen genuinely seems to get it, but your average consumer seems incapable of considering anything without Android or iOS on it. Time will tell.
    12-02-14 09:44 AM

^^ Sorry, I just found this funny.....
    Ahahahahahhahahahah nice catch! I didn't even see that!

Interesting. . .

Care to explain zocster? *folds arms*

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-02-14 10:38 AM
44 12