Hello all! I've been lurking on the boards for awhile, trying to find out what I can about the different Passport models ahead of my purchase. I used to own a Bold 9700 back in the day. I'm looking to get a Passport now, because I think it'll be a nice change from the iPhones that I've owned since I had the Bold.

My Situation/Personal Needs

My situation is this. I'm currently in the U.S., which means that I have ready access to places that sell all three Passport versions. However, I will be moving to The Hague in Netherlands in a couple of months and would like my device to work well there too.

Vodafone Netherlands' 4G LTE Coverage

Vodafone Netherlands supports LTE bands (a) B3 (1800+), (b) B7 (2600), and (c) B20 (800D). 800Mhz and 1800Mhz are the main bands through which 4G LTE coverage is administered.

The OG Passport and SE support all three bands. However, the AT&T Passport supports only the 800Mhz and 2600Mhz bands.

OG Passport

I'm not keen on the OG Passport. Mostly because I understand the AT&T and Silver Edition to be superior devices in terms of ergonomics, feel and design.

That leaves me with a choice between the (a) AT&T Model and (2) Silver Edition.

AT&T Model

I really like the way the AT&T model looks. It reminds me of the Bold I used to have. In my mind, this is the quintessential BlackBerry look.

However, I'm concerned that the device only supports 1 of the 2 dominant LTE bands in the Netherlands. How important is it to have full LTE band support in an unlocked device?

I am holding off on buying the AT&T model because of this.

Silver Edition

This is sort of the middle-ground choice for me. I'm not a big fan of the Silver Edition's looks, although after looking at more pictures on the forum, I think I can be convinced to like it.

The SE's obvious upsides are (1) full LTE band support and (2) improved ergonomics and build quality over the OG.

Also, if I purchase the SE on Amazon or ShopBlackBerry, am I correct to say that I will be covered under an international warranty of some sort?

Upshot

I'm having a hard time making a decision. If the AT&T version had full LTE support in The Netherlands, my choice would be easier. I don't think the SE looks terrible, but I wish it came in black!

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    06-13-16 07:58 PM
    NEVER get the AT&T model, whatever that is. Lots of build complaints regarding their BB devices.
    Get the SE for better texting experience (softer pads, that is). But the OG is a lot sturdier and durable.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 06-14-16 at 12:29 AM.
    06-13-16 10:52 PM
    The SE keyboard is much nicer to use then the OG version. Can type much quicker using my PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 11:04 PM
    The latest one is the best looking for me, the speakers grids and rear camera but this is subjective. However I think it's the best version in general. I have only used the silver one but I read it has a better grip due to the pattern on the back cover and keyboard. They say the at&t one comes with an esclusive wireless charging feature but it's not a big deal, personally anyway.
    06-14-16 04:10 AM
    There's nothing wrong with the passport OG keyboard imo. Never tried the SE but any difference would minuscule in my opinion.

The black OG gets a greasy look quite easily. Maybe get the white one and ringke fusion case if you're convinced the at and t looks better
    Help With a Passport Purchase Decision-img_20150618_230257.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 10:33 AM
    I think you have answered your own questions if you read between the lines

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    06-14-16 10:42 AM
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I remain quite convinced that I like the AT&T version better than the OG. Though, the suggestion about getting a case to round off the edges is definitely a creative solution!

At this point, I more or less have decided that I'm going to get the SE.

One question I'm still mulling over: Does anyone know anything about how terrible it is to be down 1 out of 2 LTE bands? Is it a noticeable interruption, or a slight annoyance at best?
    06-14-16 12:09 PM
    I have the AT&T version. AT&T is my provider. Have had it for 4 months. No problems. Can't speak to the available bands in the Netherlands though. Upgraded from a Z10. Not disappointed. Great phone. I use the Seido two-piece case for protection and have a leather holster which accommodates the phone with a protective case on it. Best of luck with your choice. Whatever Passport you get, I think you will not be disappointed.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    06-14-16 12:22 PM
    Go for the SE. It would be better for your situation overall, I think.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 06:20 PM
    Thanks all for the replies!

Because of a silly mistake, it looks like I get to have my cake and eat it after all! According to this thread (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-961279/), the AT&T version does in fact support LTE bands 3, 7 and 20. The ones required for the Netherlands.

I previously based my information off www.frequencycheck.com, which wrongly lists the bands supported by the AT&T version.

I suppose it's now just a matter of which design I like better!
    Chris Chin likes this.
    06-15-16 12:03 AM