This is a tragic story. It may even give some of you nightmares or leave you in a cold sweat...

Let me start by saying, that I never ever post to forums or social media of any kind, but I felt compelled to this morning after my tragic turn of events...

I have (had) been a proud Passport owner since I bought myself one for my birthday in February 2015. I have been a loyal blackberry supporter, and even worked at RIM during their heyday during the early 2000's . I know all the specs and tips and tricks, so when conversation with my peers turned to phones, I was always prepared to shut everyone up with my beautiful passport, and armed myself with every rebuttal for the lames who swore that 'A blackberry cant do that!' in which case I would guffaw and show them that yes, it can do that, and much more...

I was a centrepiece for confrontation, and proudly whipped out my Passport upon request to have a 'phone off' with anyone who dared challenge. My Passport literally never left my side. It was the first thing I touched in the morning (sorry wifey) and the last thing I touched at night (again sorry wifey...)

Anyway, yesterday my twins had swim class, so I got to the community centre a little early from work, where my wife was to meet me with the twins. Since I got there early, I decided to change into my trunks so that when my wife got there, all we had to do was get the boys ready. I changed up, grabbed my Passport and headed to the parking lot to meet my wife. While waiting i decided to get some work done by editing and emailing the agenda for todays finance meeting. 5 mins later my wife and twins arrived. I slid the Passport into my side pocket, whisked the twins into the changeroom, got them ready, and headed to the pool... water was great, and the twins and I had a blast for the next half hour...

When it was time to go, i headed up the pool stairs and felt like my shorts were slipping and going to fall off. As I emerged more, I realized it wasnt my shorts that were heavy, but my pocket.....

Thats when the most awful feeling crept into the pit of my stomach..... I reached down and felt the familiar outline of my trusted and dearest friend....

To say I am heartbroken would be a gross understatement. I havent slept at all. I havent eaten anything since yesterday morning. Im terrified to even take the phone in for servicing at a shop, just for the fear of them telling me officially that my baby is dead, and its time to move on..... Im not even upset about the money i spent on it and now lost. Its much deeper than that. I spent countless hours customizing my baby the way I like it. The ringtones, homescreen and icon layout, the wallpapers and alarms..... (hold on, Im getting emotional again...)

I will never ever take for granted what it means to have a phone that is more than just a phone. I apologize to the blackberry Gods for such a thoughtless and irresponsible mistake. I hope this serves as a lesson to all my fellow crackberry geeks to never let your guards down, and cherish your Passports as if today was the last day you had with her... Veronica, (her name) Ill miss you like no other phone Ive had before you....

R.I.P
    Veronica Feb 2015 - July 2015
    07-15-15 08:43 AM
    I'm sorry you lost your Passport I can't imagine what the feeling would be like just realizing you took it swimming for half an hour......
    I'm going to assume you don't have a backup?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 09:29 AM
    R.I.P

Posted via CB10
    Powdah likes this.
    07-15-15 09:31 AM
    That really, really sucks.

I had an origian Passport that I ordered on launch day. I left it in a Walmart men's room in early July and no one turned it in. Luckily, I ordered the AT&T variant, so I'm now using it as a replacement. But I miss the original.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 09:32 AM
    OKKKK

You do know that Veronica had a twin sister.... and that if you treated Veronica properly you can just use LINK to make the "switch" and you'll never know the difference.

One great feature of iCloud is not having to use a computer or your memory to do a backup.... REALLY don't understand why they don't make this part of BB Protect.
    brian4591 likes this.
    07-15-15 09:33 AM
    Terrific read! Tragic story.

Is another Passport in your future, or will you embrace this unforeseen opportunity to dabble with other form-factors or operating systems?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    07-15-15 09:38 AM
    Ugh, that hurts......I did that back in the day with a motorla razor. I used to love that phone......

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 09:48 AM
    A few years back I thought it would be a good idea to go out in a thunderstorm with my 9900 in my pocket without an umbrella...I learned my lesson that day...

Sent from my Passport
    07-15-15 10:19 AM
    Let that ***** rest in peace bro
    Find yourself another one?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 11:02 AM
    Anyway, yesterday my twins had swim class, so I got to the community centre a little early from work, where my wife was to meet me with the twins. Since I got there early, I decided to change into my trunks so that when my wife got there, all we had to do was get the boys ready.
    Foreshadowed the worse....RIP

Posted from Neverland!
    07-15-15 11:08 AM
    Time to get a new one.

 Classic
    07-15-15 11:09 AM
    Thanks everyone for your concern...
    I do have my Z30 that I dusted off and am currently using as a backup.... but its not the same...
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-15-15 11:15 AM
    RIP Passport, we got to wait a while longer until Blackberrys become IP 67 certified

Posted via CB10
    TJKGT likes this.
    07-15-15 11:51 AM
    Your experience goes with one of my smartphone rants, that of being quite fragile. Given the key role the device plays in everyday life, having it more resistant to the everyday carelessness would certainly reduce my anxiety level. I,for one would really like a hardened keyboard device that would let me relax when doing stuff around water. A few years back I had a Cassio that lived through several swimming incidents and countless drops with only minor scarring. Took abuse quite well. Now, it didn't do many things that the Passport does, but I never gave a second thought about taking it fishing other on a tubing trip. The passport gets triple bagged for its protection, and I still have nightmares like you just experienced.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    07-15-15 11:51 AM
    Amazon - Prime Day - $399+ for damaged packaging,

Will soon be a Passport owner, retiring the Z10.
    07-15-15 11:58 AM
    I feel for you,expensive loss of focus,so many thinks to think about, it happens,lol
    07-15-15 12:03 PM
    Amazon - Prime Day - $399+ for damaged packaging,

Will soon be a Passport owner, retiring the Z10.
    ****e, I just ordered a new Passport from employee purchase plan and paid 480.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 12:10 PM
    Doesn't the cloud backup allow you restore a new Passport to the exact settings of your original? If so, then your story is really about losing $400 which is sad but not really a tragedy. I've certainly done it before.

You've got two young kids so I'm hoping that your post is just some humorous hyperbole. Otherwise, you should go easy on tragedy, heartbreak, fear, "my baby is dead...as if today was the last day you had" sentiments. I would recommend you take your own advice and not take what you have for granted.
    07-15-15 12:16 PM
    Veronica has a twin sister...that is so rad!

I clicked this on my Passport.
    lysskr likes this.
    07-15-15 12:34 PM
    RIP. Time for another one!!

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339
    07-15-15 12:45 PM
    Was Veronica black, white, or a redhead?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-15-15 01:35 PM
    Very sad story. Feel you pain man.

Posted with my awesome Z30
    07-15-15 01:40 PM
    She was an all black model.... she felt great with a slim case, but even better naked.... sigh... memories...
    07-15-15 01:42 PM
    Ugh, that hurts......I did that back in the day with a motorla razor. I used to love that phone......

Posted via CB10
    The razor was my last phone before I got a bbry curve. That was a great phone at the time. Passport beats it by a slim margin, though.
    07-15-15 01:46 PM
    Will you replace your black beauty with another equally pretty mistress?

Posted with my awesome Z30
    07-15-15 01:55 PM
86 123 ...