Through a weird phenomenon, I pressed the volume up button and then immediately pressed the volume down button. Click -click. Then headphone controls started to work. I do this anytime headphones lose function and it does the trick. Looking forward to see if this works for anyone else out there.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by click click? Did you press twice upo and twice down????Otherwise still did not work!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:28 AM
    Click up and then click down. I did it multiple times repeatedly (up-down-up-down back and forth) and it worked. That's how I figured it out.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:32 AM
    Clicking them up and down doesn't work for me

Posted on my Passport
    12-12-14 02:11 PM
    Clicking them up and down doesn't work for me

Posted on my Passport
    Same btw did not work for me as well.

IEM's I use:
    Urbeats
    Nocs ns500
    Ajays 5
    Klipsch x7i

None of the online controls work!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 02:17 PM
    Try running BBVE (Blackberry Virtual Expert). It came pre-installed on my Z30. The first time I ran it for audio, my headphones failed the test.
    12-12-14 02:48 PM
    Try running BBVE (Blackberry Virtual Expert). It came pre-installed on my Z30. The first time I ran it for audio, my headphones failed the test.
    Mine wasn't working as well Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154 did the BBVA test and voila
    12-20-14 02:26 PM
    Same for me--I've had the passport a while, just have not listened to anything with headphones...

Tried last week with my Klipsch headphones (which worked flawlessly on my z10, z30, and q10), and only the play/pause buttons work, not inline volume controls. Haven't checked which type of bb headphones came with it, as most headphones don't fit me properly, hence why I like to use a pair that does and sounds good. Now a bit worried, as I just ordered a Bluetooth pair (for when I'm training), so hope that one works!
    01-31-15 08:34 PM
    I have the Blackberry WS-430 unit and the in-line volume works fine.
    01-31-15 09:06 PM
    This is the response I managed to find...

There are two categories of multi button headsets - active and passive. While most of the BB10 devices correctly support both the active and the passive multi button headsets, Windermere has a different headset solution (from QC, as opposed to Spark chipset solution on the other devices) that does not support active multi button headsets. The play/pause button should still be supported, but all the other buttons would not work. Please note that the headset manufacturers do advertise the compatibility of a certain headset with either iphone/ipad/ipod (active MB headsets) or Android devices (passive MB headsets), but not both. Windermere would be classified same as the Android devices from this point of view. Please check the specs of your headsets and if they state iphone/ipod/ipad compatibility, only the play/pause button is expected to be detected on Windermere.

So it looks like it won't be fixed by software update...

Posted via CB10
    I have both headset types for ios and android and none of the multi buttons work on either!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 10:23 AM
    Can someone with 10.3.1 see if this works? Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:15 PM
    I read through the posts, but there's a lot of info and I'm new to this thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed or asked.

I am running 10.3 and I have only ever used my Jaybird BlueBuds which are bluetooth. They worked great on my Z10 and work equally as well on my Passport (i.e. buttons on headset control volume changes, track skipping, and play/pause). I am thinking of getting a pair of wired headphones as backup for those times that I run out of juice. So is the inline volume issue only with certain types of wired headphones (i.e. active vs passive) and not bluetooth headphones? Also, has anyone tried an inline volume control adapter to see if that works?
    02-06-15 01:15 AM
    The inline volume controls were never the issue. The issue was the volume buttons on the actual phone not working with certain brands of headphones. Not sure why.
    Saying this, I used my Sony headphones this morning and the phone's volume controls worked fine. Go figure :/
    02-06-15 12:28 PM
    Definitely depends on the headphones.
    Online volume/media controls (except for play/pause) do not work with my Klipsch Image S4i wired headphones, but do work with my bluetooth/wireless Denon AH-W150 headset.

Online, it doesn't say anything about the Klipsch (with relation to active/passive) and for the Denon simply says they are Dynamic drivers.
    (All functions of the Klipsch worked fine on my Z10/Q10/Z30)

Posted via CB 10
    02-06-15 01:29 PM
    None of my wired headsets worked although they did on my Z10 but I picked up bluetooth earbuds today and they work great. Love that I can skip tracks with the volume controls on the earphones again, really missed it when taking the subway

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 09:29 PM
    Can someone with 10.3.1 see if this works? Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    Tested with official 10.3.1.1581 build using Klipsch R6i headphones. Volume buttons do not work.
    02-22-15 12:35 AM
    Hi there!
    Any update on this issue?
    I've tried my Sony MDR-10RNCIP. Can confirm that volume controls do not work. Other controls play/pause/mute/answer call/end call do work.
    I've just order a pair of Sennheiser M2IEi Momentum In Ear and would really like to have the volume controls working.

Currently running OS ver 10.3.1.1565

Thanks.
    03-01-15 12:20 PM
    Thank god there is a thread about this.. This is definitely a big let down!

I have had my Z30 since the beginning and it worked great with my Beats wired headphones when I had 10.2 OS. I was able to control both volume and play/pause through the headphone controller.

Once I upgraded to 10.3.1 that functionality was lost and now I can only pause and play (and it's very slow to react to this i must say)... It doesn't seem to have any issues with bluetooth since it hooks to my car stereo just fine and all the controls work, so it's definitely the wired headphones and I must say I'm not happy nor impressed with this.

Any way we can get the attention of the Crackberry team so they can shed some light on this and have Blackberry actually look into it?
    babelovesberry likes this.
    04-07-15 12:43 PM
    I use the xiaomi Mi In-Ear Headphones
    First time i use it, i was confused, the Play/Stop Button works and the Volume Up Button also. To skip a song is no problem, by hold the "up" button. to set volume down i need to hold the "down" button and press the up-button, same works to get a song back, hold first the down-button and than hold the up button, in this direction.
    07-19-15 07:57 AM
    Unless they don't have the third line attached to the mother board correctly.
    Than this is a software program related issue.

And with some of the feedback that some of you have been getting. It sounds like it's software related since your being told their aware of the issue and working on it.

If it was hardware related, they would not be able to work on anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:48 AM
    I have the Bose SIE2i sport earbuds. They come with three buttons on the wire, and with my Q10 I could pause/play with the middle button, and use the other two either to skip tracks (long press) or adjust volume up/down....exactly the same as the three button on the side of the phone. With the passport, only the middle button works to play/pause. The other two buttons do nothing. My setting in Main Volume/Music Shortcuts is set to on. OP, my experience confirms that there is something different in the passport that removed the functionality of those wired buttons. I was bummed....those buttons were handy.
    babelovesberry likes this.
    07-19-15 12:03 PM
    As mentioned earlier, the passport uses a different chip for the headphone jack. Doesn't support the in wire volume control.
    07-19-15 06:59 PM
    Same for me--I've had the passport a while, just have not listened to anything with headphones...

Tried last week with my Klipsch headphones (which worked flawlessly on my z10, z30, and q10), and only the play/pause buttons work, not inline volume controls. Haven't checked which type of bb headphones came with it, as most headphones don't fit me properly, hence why I like to use a pair that does and sounds good. Now a bit worried, as I just ordered a Bluetooth pair (for when I'm training), so hope that one works!
    Oddly the BT profiles allows the volume up/down to work so don't worry!!!

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-20-15 12:54 PM
    They don't seem to work. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour? I use then a lot, so it's a bit frustrating.

Posted on my Q10
    I had the same issue, infact mine was not specifically related to the headphones. Even if I removed the headphones the skip buttons would not respond, although pause and play did.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I had downloaded a 'screenshot' app which required the Vol up and Vol down button to be pressed together to take a screenshot. I gathered there must be some sort of conflict going on so I removed the sceenshot app. Surprise surprise everything started working (skip function) as it should.
    09-18-15 03:49 AM
    Hey everyone,

I got a blackberry passport and all of the sudden I can't control the volume on my device. I cannot play music or watch videos without using my headphones all the time. When I try to increase or decrease the volume using the keys on the side it shows 'Bluetooth Volume' I don't even know what it means. I cannot even pair my device to my car via Bluetooth to play music as I used to. I have tried the help icon on the phone or reading on the forums but no clue what else to do. Any ideas?
    11-05-15 12:45 AM
    Same issue here with the recent purchase of Passport SE, I thought it was the headphone jack. the Headphone vol and pause control do not function with the Passport. However if I press and hold the pause button for a few seconds it activates the BB Assistant.

The same headset works with my z30 all headphone controls work, this is clearly as Passport hardware issue and somehow related to the OS

Yes. both the Passport and Z30 have the same OS installed.

Head Phones: B&W C5
    01-16-18 05:43 PM
75 123