Well dang! I don't! Just a play/pause button here.

Headphone volume controls not working on Passport-img_20141018_200644.jpg

Via CB10 from Scotland on my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-18-14 02:07 PM
    Oh and you also have to enable music shortcuts by volume keys in settings.

10-18-14 02:08 PM
    My headphone control does not look like that!! Just the middle button and it's black.
    10-18-14 04:56 PM
    In fact I just went and dug out my Z30 headphones that I kept. They are still in plastic. No volume controls on those either.
    I don't usually use ear buds so not a problem except that the headphones I do use, the volume buttons on those don't work!!
    sic77 likes this.
    10-18-14 04:59 PM
    Just noticed this today with my Bose Quietcomfort 15 headphones, all volume controls work great on Z30. With the Passport it is not fully working just the button to play and pause works.

I'm going to open a ticket with BlackBerry support and see what they say.
    10-23-14 09:25 PM
    Please let us know what BlackBerry says!

Posted on my Passport
    10-24-14 07:12 PM
    I have the same problem. My Monster iSports work on my z30 but not on my Passport. Created a ticket and sent logs. I believe it will be resolved in the next OS update as it does not work on both my Passports. BlackBerry just sent me an email saying no resolution and hope to have a response in 2 business days.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:57 AM
    I have the same issue with Beats. I have opened a ticket with support.
    10-29-14 09:00 AM
    Closed my ticket. Told me to hold on for next update as they are aware of the problem. They are working on it.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 01:04 PM
    Oh and you also have to enable music shortcuts by volume keys in settings.

I think a lot us have already done this!?

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-29-14 01:13 PM
    I think a lot us have already done this!?

Well done! Your now one step closer to it working as you'd like.

Via CB10 from Scotland using my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-29-14 02:23 PM
    Took a little bit of fighting but finally got them to admit that it's a software issue. They kept trying to tell me it's an issue with my headphones and to contact them. No info on wheter it's fixed in a future update.
    10-30-14 10:41 AM
    Glad you got an answer. I got nothing from @blackberryhelp or through their support forum. Assumed it was software related as I have 3 pairs that worked on my Z10 but not the passport

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 10:31 AM
    Update got this reponse from BlackBerry support today, not sure what to think.

Hello,

Due to the Passport device has different headset solution as compare to other BlackBerry 10 devices, the headset solution doesn't support the in line volume function besides Play/Pause. The issue has been documented under JI801633

Hope this would answer your question.

We will keep this ticket open until Nov 18 in case you may have further question.

Sincerely,

Support Guy
    BlackBerry
    11-14-14 01:02 PM
    Well done! Your now one step closer to it working as you'd like.

Via CB10 from Scotland using my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Nada I do get you humour tho!
    It's a bug in the current versions of 10.3! It'll prolly be resolved in the next os update!

11-14-14 01:39 PM
    This is the response I managed to find...

There are two categories of multi button headsets - active and passive. While most of the BB10 devices correctly support both the active and the passive multi button headsets, Windermere has a different headset solution (from QC, as opposed to Spark chipset solution on the other devices) that does not support active multi button headsets. The play/pause button should still be supported, but all the other buttons would not work. Please note that the headset manufacturers do advertise the compatibility of a certain headset with either iphone/ipad/ipod (active MB headsets) or Android devices (passive MB headsets), but not both. Windermere would be classified same as the Android devices from this point of view. Please check the specs of your headsets and if they state iphone/ipod/ipad compatibility, only the play/pause button is expected to be detected on Windermere.

So it looks like it won't be fixed by software update...

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 05:38 AM
    That is very disappointing since i use the controls a lot during commutes in Toronto

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:45 PM
    I have a headphone which uses resistors to manage volume and it works OK. Interesting note about active and passive volume control. I never knew that. I thought Apple has their own thing.
    12-04-14 05:22 PM

There are two categories of multi button headsets - active and passive. While most of the BB10 devices correctly support both the active and the passive multi button headsets, Windermere has a different headset solution (from QC, as opposed to Spark chipset solution on the other devices) that does not support active multi button headsets. The play/pause button should still be supported, but all the other buttons would not work. Please note that the headset manufacturers do advertise the compatibility of a certain headset with either iphone/ipad/ipod (active MB headsets) or Android devices (passive MB headsets), but not both. Windermere would be classified same as the Android devices from this point of view. Please check the specs of your headsets and if they state iphone/ipod/ipad compatibility, only the play/pause button is expected to be detected on Windermere.

Posted via CB10
    So if I understand this correctly, windermere chipsets only allow full functionality of the up/down buttons in Android compatible headsets only!?

I tried an android headset, the one included in the Samsung Galaxy s5 and the up/down buttons still do not work!
    Also as for the next update fix it has not been officially confirmed that the next os update will fix this ussue!
    Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 06:08 PM
    I don't think so. I have some V-Moda earphones, and they work with some Androids but not all (I think it worked with Motorola ones). The earphones I have are designed for iPhone, not Android. It was hit or miss with Android, but all BlackBerry 10 handsets worked with it with the exception of the Passport.

It would be interesting if anyone has a 'Passive' headset with 3 buttons - although I've got a feeling that 'Passive' means you get the Pause/Play button and a Microphone, and 'Active' means you get Pause/Play, Mic and Vol +/- button support.
    12-05-14 05:58 PM
    I use Bose sportster ear buds, they say compatible with iPhone on box and website says some android devices. All the 3 buttons worked flawlessly on my z10 running 10.3. But only the play/pause button works on my z30. Today though......the vol up/dwn buttons and (hold to skip song) worked for a little while and now it's not working again. This tells me it is possible to work and when official software comes out (I'm running leaked 10.3.0.1154) there is a good chance that both active and passive headsets will work.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 01:09 PM
    Why don't you guys just get a pair of WS-430? They are very good for the price, probably the only ones that really fit into your ear and stay in there, they are comfortable to wear, their sound is good - and all that for just a bit more than ten euro. I've been using them without a problem since they were first released back in Z30 days.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 05:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fingers crossed os 10.3.1 or higher will fix this issue!
    Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 05:41 PM
    I think I have seen someone running a 10.3.1 leak mention that OS version did allow the Passport to handle in-line controls.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    12-11-14 05:45 PM
    Through a weird phenomenon, I pressed the volume up button and then immediately pressed the volume down button. Click -click. Then headphone controls started to work. I do this anytime headphones lose function and it does the trick. Looking forward to see if this works for anyone else out there.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:16 AM
75 123