So how does the hdmi work? I saw somewhere that it is a special cable, but I haven't heard anything since then.

I'm 90% sure I'm getting a passport in the next couple days so I need to know this.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 09:17 PM
    You will need an HDMI to microHDMI cable to utilize your HDMI output. Pretty much a plug and play operation after that.
    10-24-14 09:21 PM
    You will need an HDMI to microHDMI cable to utilize your HDMI output. Pretty much a plug and play operation after that.
    Isn't it Slimport they went with? There was a big ol' thread about it recently, surely you must have handed out a ban or two in there and remember it?
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-24-14 09:23 PM
    Yup, need a slimport. No designated HDMI out on a passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 09:25 PM
    Definitely slimport, got one thru ebay $10 free shipping. Brick & Mortar stores are $30 and up

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-24-14 09:56 PM
    It is a SlimPort, no micro HDMI port on the Passport. The micro USB port on the Passport gives you, through SlimPort HDMI and VGA Out and USB2Go which you can read / write pen drives, with a reader or multicard reader various memory cards and other USB stuff like keyboard and mouse. Also through Miracast you can mirror your device on a TV or monitor, and full screen videos, presentations among others. Except for the keyboard and mouse I have tested all the others and can tell you they all work. Shop BlackBerry have the slimport adapters and the microsoft store have the miracast dongle, the multicard reader is available at BestBuy or TigerDirect or you can find them on Amazon and EBAY. You may also need a micro USB male to USB female adapter for the USB2GO.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on AT&T
    10-24-14 10:09 PM
    Damn, that's what I thought. That sucks. I was used to using the same micro-hdmi wire for my Z10, playbook and Asus Transformer

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:47 AM
    USB on the go.... Not 2go
    10-25-14 10:56 AM
    Buy a cheap slimport adapter on eBay. You don't need to spend $40 on one.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 12:20 PM
    Damn, that's what I thought. That sucks. I was used to using the same micro-hdmi wire for my Z10, playbook and Asus Transformer

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't suck. Well having to get a new adapter sucks a little bit, but the upside is you have more flexibility than in the past. Ie. Cool to be able to connect to VGA on some projectors... not everything has HDMI even today.
    USB OTG - awesome.

I believe the slimport allows charging while connected to a display.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 12:47 PM
    Yes, but so does the separate minihdmi port on Z30 and Z10 or the Playbook.
    The slimport to VGA adaptor is extra. So if you need to connect to HDMI and VGA, you need two adaptors:
    Slimport to HDMI (no need to be plugged in)
    Slimport to VGA
    Slimport to hdmi and hdmi to VGA.
    n the latter case you need to be plugged in for the second adaptor to work. I got burned twice during public presentations to a VGA screen because I lost the connection to the screen after 1-2 minutes of use because the slimport to hdmi adaptor was not plugged in to a supply. The screen comes back once you connect the device to a power supply.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 01:27 PM
    I ended up buying the $30 one from Amazon, it's the model that BB advertises on their website for the PP.

Amazon.com: SlimPort SP1004 HDMI Adapter - Connect MyDP enabled mobile devices to any TV: Electronics

I was curious if my HDMI -> VGA adapter would work or if I'd need to buy a VGA specific one, so thanks for the feedback on that sorinv! I used that cable with my Q10 to connect to projectors that didn't have HDMI (Business world stuff, not many companies have HDMI ports out for people to present with, VGA only)

The only thing that bums me out with the current setup is if you're using the slimport for HDMI/VGA out, you can't use it for USB devices. So if you want to output to a monitor and use a keyboard and mouse, they better be bluetooth. Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to set it on a dock of some sorts and get HDMI out and USB ports on it... Could have been like a mini-laptop dock for it.
    10-25-14 01:57 PM
    I ended up buying the $30 one from Amazon, it's the model that BB advertises on their website for the PP.

Amazon.com: SlimPort SP1004 HDMI Adapter - Connect MyDP enabled mobile devices to any TV: Electronics

I was curious if my HDMI -> VGA adapter would work or if I'd need to buy a VGA specific one, so thanks for the feedback on that sorinv! I used that cable with my Q10 to connect to projectors that didn't have HDMI (Business world stuff, not many companies have HDMI ports out for people to present with, VGA only)

The only thing that bums me out with the current setup is if you're using the slimport for HDMI/VGA out, you can't use it for USB devices. So if you want to output to a monitor and use a keyboard and mouse, they better be bluetooth. Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to set it on a dock of some sorts and get HDMI out and USB ports on it... Could have been like a mini-laptop dock for it.
    Here's what it looks like for me with VGA out. Cumbersome. I have just ordered the slimport to VGA adaptor.
    HDMI question.-img_20141025_223159.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:36 PM
    Here's what it looks like for me with VGA out. Cumbersome. I have just ordered the slimport to VGA adaptor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_223159.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	309439

Posted via CB10
    I now bought the slimport to VGA adaptor from BlackBerry. Works really well and fewer cables and adaptors needed.
    10-29-14 03:37 PM
    So if I buy slimport to hdmi I can still use my hdmi to vga adapter right?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:45 PM
    So if I buy slimport to hdmi I can still use my hdmi to vga adapter right?

Posted via CB10
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 10:43 PM