Have been bringing 2 phones to work for HDMI out. Been looking at the Z30 since shopblackberry is doing their sale, but I definitely need to order a cable for the Passport. I actually lost my HDMI cable I had for the Z10 and Z30 so think it's time to be able to use the Passport.

I have two questions regarding shopblackberry. First, they have two different cables not sure which one I need or both? Second, are they really that short? My HDMI cable for the Z phones was 6 foot. Basing this on the shopblackberry pics.

For my use, I need a few feet to mess around with as I'll plug in the device for groups and sit down next to the TV and as a topic comes up I will then search and play a particular video. From the pics it doesn't look like my Passport would even make it around the stand the TV is in.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:58 AM
    For the Passport there are two Adapters that you can get one is HDMI the other is for VGA. The Passport uses Slimport Technology which sends HDMI through the micro USB port. so with the adapter from Shopblackberry you can use any Standard HDMI cable.

Here is a similar thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...dapter-962834/
    andy957 likes this.
    04-20-15 10:08 AM
    For the Passport there are two Adapters that you can get one is HDMI the other is for VGA. The Passport uses Slimport Technology which sends HDMI through the micro USB port. so with the adapter from Shopblackberry you can use any Standard HDMI cable.
    So I would have to get a new HDMI cable since I lost the one I had as well as the adapter? Not sure what VGA is, but I'm assuming to avoid this and get the other. I might check CB Store now since I have been wanting a red surface case and it's on sale today.

Ehhh, now I'm annoyed at myself since I lost that HDMI cable. Didn't know I would need that, but explains why the Passport adapters appear so short. I know CrackBerry has HDMI cables, just have to look for a HDMI adapter as well. If not, guess I'll forsake the surface case and order from shopblackberry.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:17 AM
    You can skip the VGA then, That is more for older projectors and such. VGA doesn't include sound. As for the Adapter plus a new HDMI cable. The Adapter is the key component for your phone. you can buy the HDMI cable anywhere, even walmart.
    04-20-15 10:24 AM
    You can skip the VGA then, That is more for older projectors and such. VGA doesn't include sound. As for the Adapter plus a new HDMI cable. The Adapter is the key component for your phone. you can buy the HDMI cable anywhere, even walmart.
    Thank you! That thread was confusing me, but definitely appreciate you posting it. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:25 AM
    Sorry. I don't mean to complicate things for you. hopefully the attached picture will help. with this adapter all you will need is any standard HDMI cable to connect to the TV or Presentation device.

HDMI cable?-slimport2.jpg

Also here is a video that shows the connections:
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    04-20-15 10:31 AM
    Get your slimport hdmi from ebay. I got two for $12 cdn
    04-20-15 10:39 AM
    Definitely appreciate the help! It's much simpler than I thought. If I didn't lose the HDMI cable I already had then all I would need is the Slimport adapter (not VGA). Thanks for the video!

Don't see the adapter on CrackBerry, so will look around or just order from shopblackberry as I'm contemplating a spare Z30 as my current Z30 is a mess (replaced the screen, warranty voided, scratches, etc.). Nice price for the Z30! Did wanna get the surface case "sale of the day". Hmmm let me get my thoughts together. Why BlackBerry, why do you take my money like this lol!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:50 AM
    Ok, so I'm wrong looking at the video. The HDMI out cable I used for my Z30 would not work with the Slimport adapter (was just going to buy another). I would need a male to male HDMI cable with one end plugging into the TV and the other to the Slimport adapter. Confusing as shopblackberry sells the adapter, but not the HDMI cable. You'd think both would be available since both are needed for the HDMI out to function.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:11 AM
    I purchased my cables off ebay.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2729
    04-20-15 11:14 AM
    Ok, so I'm wrong looking at the video. The HDMI out cable I used for my Z30 would not work with the Slimport adapter (was just going to buy another). I would need a male to male HDMI cable with one end plugging into the TV and the other to the Slimport adapter. Confusing as shopblackberry sells the adapter, but not the HDMI cable. You'd think both would be available since both are needed for the HDMI out to function.

Posted via CB10
    Yes the Zeds (z10, z30) are Micro HDMI. But the good news is that you can get the Standard HDMI cable anywhere. And any length you want.
    04-20-15 11:20 AM
    get any slim port adapter from ebay, even the ones for Google Nexus 5 etc. they are quite cheap.
    04-20-15 11:27 AM
    Yes the Zeds (z10, z30) are Micro HDMI. But the good news is that you can get the Standard HDMI cable anywhere. And any length you want.
    Think I got it now. So I can buy the Slimport HDMI adapter from shopblackberry then just by the standard HDMI cable locally or online. Nothing special like the Micro HDMI on the Z phones. Thanks again... you really helped me out here.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:33 AM
    Thanks so in reality I don't need the one from shopblackberry. Have Amazon Prime so will check there. Appreciate all of the help. Think I'm good to go now on the difference between the Passport and Z30 :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:36 AM
    OK, so I ended up buying a Z30 from shopblackberry and the Surface Case from CB. I have Amazon Prime and think I need to buy the slimport from shopblackberry and a male to male cable for the HDMI to work on the Passport. Found a slimport on Amazon, but some reviews say it's a knockoff. Here is the Slimport... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NG4...UvbUpU11577109 ... should I try this or just order from shopblackberry? Lastly, here is the HDMI that I think would work. Can anyone take a look and verify this setup for me?... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00870...UvbUpU11577109

Thanks so much for the help... hate not having HDMI anymore!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 08:21 PM
    get any slim port adapter from ebay, even the ones for Google Nexus 5 etc. they are quite cheap.
    I've been looking on Amazon and there are a bunch of 1 star reviews for "knockoffs" saying that the connection is not good, etc. Maybe I should just ignore these, it seems like most of you just bought any slimport adapter. If that's the case I can get a much better deal on Amazon. Just need to verify the HDMI is male to male?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 08:56 PM
    The HDMI cable isn't that special. It's the same cable that GoPro cams use.
    The cable you linked to will not work. You need Micro HDMI on one end and standard HDMI on the other.

Better yet, just get the Slimport to HDMI cable on Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:34 PM
    The HDMI cable isn't that special. It's the same cable that GoPro cams use.
    The cable you linked to will not work. You need Micro HDMI on one end and standard HDMI on the other.

Better yet, just get the Slimport to HDMI cable on Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    Now I'm confused again lol. I thought for the Passport I would need the 2 cables that I linked to. One being the slimport adapter and the other the male to male (?) HDMI cable.

I thought that the micro HDMI on one end to HDMI on the other end were for the Z phones. Ugh at this point might just get that since I ordered a Z30 as a backup while on sale. Will just have to carry two phones still ehhh!

Not sure why when you click Passport on shopblackberry the only thing for HDMI is the slimport adapter... clearly there is more to it then just buying that or I already would have. Thought that the 2 links I posted were what was needed for the Passport. Guess not???

I'll do another search on Amazon for Slimport to HDMI cable as you suggested.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:31 PM
    Now I'm confused again lol. I thought for the Passport I would need the 2 cables that I linked to. One being the slimport adapter and the other the male to male (?) HDMI cable.

Posted via CB10
    That what you have written there is correct. that other person probably didn't read all the way through.
    04-20-15 10:42 PM
    That what you have written there is correct. that other person probably didn't read all the way through.
    Thank you! So the two that I linked to would then give me the HDMI out on the Passport. I kind of just gave up not ordering anything after the other reply you are referring to since I thought I had it.

P.S. - Thank you R1cowl as well. I'll reread the link you posted although I think I finally got it with the 2 Amazon links I posted.

Edit: Going through the thread R1cowl posted this seems to have everything included... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UvbUpU11578772

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RLTurn77; 04-21-15 at 10:45 AM.
    R1cowl likes this.
    04-21-15 10:31 AM
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAM...UvbUpU11579777

One single cable without the need for an adaptor.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 05:38 PM
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAM...UvbUpU11580031

One single cable without the need for an adaptor.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Thanks again... I made another thread ended up buying from "cable matters" they have the adapter that comes with cables... the one single cable is interesting. I'd def prefer just plug n play like I've been used to without the slimport adapter + a cable. We'll see how what I ordered ends up like. Thanks for the link though!

Hopefully my Slimport ignorance possibly will help others lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:22 PM
    I bought this item
    New Slimport to HDMI 3D Adapter For LG Google Nexus 7 II 4 5 HD 1080P Boutique | eBay

works flawless.

basically:
    Slim port utilizes same USB port.

the adapter, itself, has one end - that "usb" you stick to the phone, and bigger dongle, where you connect you regular HDMI cable (one you would use with any blu ray player - same connectors both sides).
    also it has a connection for USB - for charger - on the dongle side. so imho it's better than just hdmi-to-slimport cable itself, because in this case you can connect phone to tv AND charge it at the same time
    04-22-15 02:34 AM