HI. I now have used this passport for almost 4 weeks, and I do really have mixed feeling about this device.

and I think that I might have a defective unit after spending hours of googling the web and searching this forum.
    (only very few handful people have the similar issues)

So I am debating whether I have to replace it with another blackberry while finger crossed, to simply return it for the note 4(I was a happy customer with my note 3 before passport), or to keep it since i probably can get used to theses.

I ordered mine through amazon on Oct/20/2014 and received it on Oct/23/2014. So I guess that I have two to three days to make a decision since amazon's return policy honors 30 days after receiving it.

here are the list of problems that I have with my passport.

1. the plastic part below physical keyboard (from spacebar key to 'n' key area) makes creaky noise when it is pressed. it actually sounds almost as clicky as other actual keys. I didn't notice this until I read someone else's post with similar issue (below 'c' and 'v' for his passport though) this morning. I probably should not read that check mine... :X

2. left edge side of back cover makes creaking noise and moves a bit time to time with pressure.
    The funny part is it moves and makes squeaking noice when it it initially pressed, then it does not move anymore for ew minutes. However if I press that specific part again after 10 minutes or so, it will be pushed down with some creaky noise again. It feels almost like that the glue below that part is losing the stickyness if it makes sense.

3. and I found out that the left mid to lower edge of screen is pushed down a bit while the right edge of screen is very solid. (I might be being little paranoid.. )

4. battery life is definitely on good side, but not in awesome side. it might be due to some of the messenger programs that I installed through the SNAP. I understand non-native apps cam cause some issues here and there with blackberry os 10. However, based on the fact that my old note was giving me a superv battery life, i am little disappointed..

I usually get 15-20 hrs of usage on one full cahrge with my passport with heavy business related use, and I used to get 30-40 hrs with my note 3 with same pattern of use. Over the weekend, the note 3 battery liffe was aweful since I play some games and watched video clips on that big screen. but it had really awesome idle battery usage with all the Bluetooth(handsfree and pebble connected all the times), LTE on all the times, and Wifi switch on all the times.

With this same usage pattern, my passport barely makes a full 24 hrs. the Passport wtill have 20-30% battery remained at the end of the day and then it will drain 10% of battery while sleeping(idle status) while my old note 3 will have 30-40% battery remained at the end of the day, but the note 3 hardly drain more than 1-2% of battery while sleeping. it is still good enough for my daily driver, but I was expecting something better like the old blackberrys I ever owned (2 pearls, 1curve, 2 bolds).

5. aweful blackberry calendar apps. too many steps and pages to type in new schedules in comparison to google calendar, and can not assign different colors for diferent schedules under the same account. This is so poorly designed and is not taking advantage of the big screen at all.

6. camera focus is not great.... I use the camera often to capture images... and it takes much longer time with blackberry passport.

HOWEVER, I'm extremely happy with

1. physical keyboard! oh my god. this can not be even compared to the touchscreen keyboard of all the devices that I ever owned (note1,2,3 GS4, Nexus 1, 4, and nokias.....

2. blackberry HUB.. again.... much better than any other notification apps avaiable on other platforms.

3. less games or non-productive activities with the phone since many of them are not available in BBRY or not properly working.
    I became less addicted to the phone

Will they accept the replace request based on the creaky noise on the body of the phone? if they do, Should I replace it?

Any input of yours will be appreciated.

Sincerely.

Hoyoon Chong
    Chrisy and dvarnai like this.
    11-19-14 06:15 PM
    Have you ever tried the Z30? I know it doesn't have the physical keyboard, but the BlackBerry virtual keyboard really needs to be tried to be believed.

I can't help with your return question. I'm not sure what the return policy is, but I think at 4 weeks you must be running out of time to make a decision.

Bottom line you should have a phone that you are happy with, although that can sometimes be a difficult choice. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:21 PM
    Do you havve your phone facing down while sleeping? It makes A LOT of difference (battery saving mode)

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-19-14 06:31 PM
    quick reply to points 1, 2 & 3, mine doesn't do that... have you dropped the phone, or in any way abused it? because if you have, then that could be the reason... but if it was like this from the beginning or started developing over time with normal use, you may have a defective unit... just my observation after reading what you describe...
    11-19-14 06:31 PM
    EDIT: Sorry OP, you are right. I came off a little jumpy. Maybe get the device replaced? Unless you're not happy with the OS and form factor. Apologies again.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    Last edited by Coraya; 11-19-14 at 07:59 PM.
    11-19-14 06:51 PM
    I'm sorry, but why are you pushing down on areas that aren't meant to be pushed? It won't creak if you don't push it. Seems like you're looking for issues. If you apply enough pressure on ANY phone, it'll make a noise so I can't understand this complaint. I stopped reading after you complained about applied pressure three times. It's a silly complaint. Why are you pushing down on the bottom part of the keyboard. Or the side? Do you want to make it worse? If anything you could have probably broken something internally yourself.

Hey, take it easy man.

It's not like I'm looking for the issues, but just wanted to make sure mine is not defective since most of others seemed not having similar issues. But for the fact that there are some similar threads initiated by few others, it shouldn't be only me. It is rare, but happens with others too. So I just wanted make sure whether I was lucky or not with picking.
    It just turned out to be that I'm on the unlucky side, so I am asking for others opinion if they were in my shoes.

And I did not abuse this phone in any other way. Didn't drop it once, and it has been protected with carbon films for scratches. So I guess it developed over the time of everyday usage. At least I didn't notice creaky noise until past few days.

Creaky noise and moving back is noticeable anytime when I pick the phone up and hold it initially. Then it goes away while I'm using for its nature. However, it makes squeaky noise next time I pick it up. Annoying enough! The bottom part makes so obvious noise everytime I accidently pushes it, and I think it will bother others as well once they notice it.
    I can definitely live with screen moving since I do not have to push screen often as much as other parts.

Chill man and relax.

Posted via CB10
    Vic DiNovici likes this.
    11-19-14 07:44 PM
    Hey, take it easy man.

It's not like I'm looking for the issues, but just wanted to make sure mine is not defective since most of others seemed not having similar issues. But for the fact that there are some similar threads initiated by few others, it shouldn't be only me. It is rare, but happens with others too. So I just wanted make sure whether I was lucky or not with picking.
    It just turned out to be that I'm on the unlucky side, so I am asking for others opinion if they were in my shoes.

And I did not abuse this phone in any other way. Didn't drop it once, and it has been protected with carbon films for scratches. So I guess it developed over the time of everyday usage. At least I didn't notice creaky noise until past few days.

Creaky noise and moving back is noticeable anytime when I pick the phone up and hold it initially. Then it goes away while I'm using for its nature. However, it makes squeaky noise next time I pick it up. Annoying enough! The bottom part makes so obvious noise everytime I accidently pushes it, and I think it will bother others as well once they notice it.
    I can definitely live with screen moving since I do not have to push screen often as much as other parts.

Chill man and relax.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry. I went off a little there. Why don't you try returning the device for a replacement. Unless you're just not happy with it overall?

11-19-14 07:57 PM
    I would return and get a new one.

My Passport has been rock solid with zero creaks and 30-36 hour battery life depending on use of course. Point is the battery should be a strength not a possible weakness.

And yes this keyboard rocks! I like to think up stuff to type just so I get to hit the keys more... I love the swipe to complete a word action!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:40 AM
    I hear only good things about Amazon for returns.
    They will send it as soon as you request and send the other back.

You have some issues with the phone, but you don't have issues like in other threads.
    I don't know about SNAP and turning the phone on its face will help. maybe Snap and whatever you put in it is draining the battery?
    Check your Device Monitor.
    About calendars...I have google calendars and they have a different color. One is work, green; the other is personal, blue etc. All under the same email address. Just make sure the other colors are shared (in google calendars from the website).

At least you never mentioned that the phone is BIG. Or bulky or it doest fit in my skirt pocket. And, coming from the Note 3, which is even bigger.

***If it is a problem with the screen and back cover that, 'you believe are loose/lifting from the first day you got the phone and you'd like a replacement'. Amazon will be happy to do so.

Good luck, let us know what happened.

HI. I now have used this passport for almost 4 weeks, and I do really have mixed feeling about this device.

and I think that I might have a defective unit after spending hours of googling the web and searching this forum.
    (only very few handful people have the similar issues)

So I am debating whether I have to replace it with another blackberry while finger crossed, to simply return it for the note 4(I was a happy customer with my note 3 before passport), or to keep it since i probably can get used to theses.

I ordered mine through amazon on Oct/20/2014 and received it on Oct/23/2014. So I guess that I have two to three days to make a decision since amazon's return policy honors 30 days after receiving it.

here are the list of problems that I have with my passport.

1. the plastic part below physical keyboard (from spacebar key to 'n' key area) makes creaky noise when it is pressed. it actually sounds almost as clicky as other actual keys. I didn't notice this until I read someone else's post with similar issue (below 'c' and 'v' for his passport though) this morning. I probably should not read that check mine... :X

2. left edge side of back cover makes creaking noise and moves a bit time to time with pressure.
    The funny part is it moves and makes squeaking noice when it it initially pressed, then it does not move anymore for ew minutes. However if I press that specific part again after 10 minutes or so, it will be pushed down with some creaky noise again. It feels almost like that the glue below that part is losing the stickyness if it makes sense.

3. and I found out that the left mid to lower edge of screen is pushed down a bit while the right edge of screen is very solid. (I might be being little paranoid.. )

4. battery life is definitely on good side, but not in awesome side. it might be due to some of the messenger programs that I installed through the SNAP. I understand non-native apps cam cause some issues here and there with blackberry os 10. However, based on the fact that my old note was giving me a superv battery life, i am little disappointed..

I usually get 15-20 hrs of usage on one full cahrge with my passport with heavy business related use, and I used to get 30-40 hrs with my note 3 with same pattern of use. Over the weekend, the note 3 battery liffe was aweful since I play some games and watched video clips on that big screen. but it had really awesome idle battery usage with all the Bluetooth(handsfree and pebble connected all the times), LTE on all the times, and Wifi switch on all the times.

With this same usage pattern, my passport barely makes a full 24 hrs. the Passport wtill have 20-30% battery remained at the end of the day and then it will drain 10% of battery while sleeping(idle status) while my old note 3 will have 30-40% battery remained at the end of the day, but the note 3 hardly drain more than 1-2% of battery while sleeping. it is still good enough for my daily driver, but I was expecting something better like the old blackberrys I ever owned (2 pearls, 1curve, 2 bolds).

5. aweful blackberry calendar apps. too many steps and pages to type in new schedules in comparison to google calendar, and can not assign different colors for diferent schedules under the same account. This is so poorly designed and is not taking advantage of the big screen at all.

6. camera focus is not great.... I use the camera often to capture images... and it takes much longer time with blackberry passport.

HOWEVER, I'm extremely happy with

1. physical keyboard! oh my god. this can not be even compared to the touchscreen keyboard of all the devices that I ever owned (note1,2,3 GS4, Nexus 1, 4, and nokias.....

2. blackberry HUB.. again.... much better than any other notification apps avaiable on other platforms.

3. less games or non-productive activities with the phone since many of them are not available in BBRY or not properly working.
    I became less addicted to the phone

Will they accept the replace request based on the creaky noise on the body of the phone? if they do, Should I replace it?

Any input of yours will be appreciated.

Sincerely.

Hoyoon Chong
    11-20-14 07:22 AM
    Thanks for your opinions.

I just filed a claim to replace the passport since I do not want to give up this awesome phone yet.

The seller accepted the replace request, but also told me that he would charge me 15-25% restocking fee + shipping if he think the phone is not defective after inspection. .. :::

So finger crossed, either I'll have to pay couple hundred extra dollars to replace for the solid one, or not.
    This is what I was actually worried about. The problems are bad enough to bug me, but I'm not sure if it is bad enough for the seller to accept return/replace for 100% refund.

Well, I already decided to pay extra dollars if I have to since I can't be happy with this squeaky phone at this point any more.
    (but.... it will be almost $1000 dollars all together with the original marked up price of $775 + the possible restocking fee and shipping fee... OTL)

Hope the new one I'm receiving is rock solid like most of u guys.

Thanks for your concern.
    Have a nice day.

Posted via CB10
    aghs likes this.
    11-20-14 07:28 AM
    Return it. Get a new one. It's what you are entitled to do, and it's the right thing to do.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    PatrickMJS, aghs and Chrisy like this.
    11-20-14 07:36 AM
    Thanks for your opinions.

I just filed a claim to replace the passport since I do not want to give up this awesome phone yet.

The seller accepted the replace request, but also told me that he would charge me 15-25% restocking fee + shipping if he think the phone is not defective after inspection. .. :::

So finger crossed, either I'll have to pay couple hundred extra dollars to replace for the solid one, or not.
    This is what I was actually worried about. The problems are bad enough to bug me, but I'm not sure if it is bad enough for the seller to accept return/replace for 100% refund.

Well, I already decided to pay extra dollars if I have to since I can't be happy with this squeaky phone at this point any more.
    (but.... it will be almost $1000 dollars all together with the original marked up price of $775 + the possible restocking fee and shipping fee... OTL)

Hope the new one I'm receiving is rock solid like most of u guys.

Thanks for your concern.
    Have a nice day.

Posted via CB10
    Wait don't go yet. For the battery issues, try this : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-4-you-977179/

I know you're returning the phone for the squeaking, but bookmark that link above if you have the battery problems again. There isn't a person here that it HASN'T helped so far.

11-20-14 07:36 AM
    I hear only good things about Amazon for returns.
    They will send it as soon as you request and send the other back.

You have some issues with the phone, but you don't have issues like in other threads.
    I don't know about SNAP and turning the phone on its face will help. maybe Snap and whatever you put in it is draining the battery?
    Check your Device Monitor.
    About calendars...I have google calendars and they have a different color. One is work, green; the other is personal, blue etc. All under the same email address. Just make sure the other colors are shared (in google calendars from the website).

At least you never mentioned that the phone is BIG. Or bulky or it doest fit in my skirt pocket. And, coming from the Note 3, which is even bigger.

***If it is a problem with the screen and back cover that, 'you believe are loose/lifting from the first day you got the phone and you'd like a replacement'. Amazon will be happy to do so.

Good luck, let us know what happened.
    Thanks for ur suggestion

I always filed a return claim, so I will wait if they will charge me the restocking fee or now.

About the calendar, it's not about reading the different color for each event for different purpose under one account, but about inputting the event with different color from blackberry. I only can choose the default color for each account. This is where I don't like. Now I purchased calengoo from the app world, and it let me do the job as I did with my note 3. Just I don't like the interface is so different since it is not native.

And size doesn't bother me at all. My note 3 was even bigger than this like u already mentioned. The only reason I gave up the q10 last year was the tiny screen. So I actually am very happy with my passport size. The size is the reason why I chose this over the others.

I fully understand the snap or other apps through snap might be causing the battery drain, but I can not give them up since blackberry apps nowhere to the android apps quality for similar services. Messengers, calendar, money book, drop box, google map and etc... I looked into the device manager several times, but it doesn't say any specific app is using the battery crazy. Most of times, display and system takes the biggest part.
    I guess I will just live with this battery rate since it let me survive one day at least.

And The creaky loose body issues are not common, but I did find some threads by others in here crackberryforum as well even though people did not believe and just bashed them.

I'll report back later whether my new phone is all good and they charged me restocking fee or not.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 07:47 AM
    hello there... one thing, i don't see why you have to pay a re-stocking fee if the phone was like this from day 1... to me that's a defect that the seller should cover... at least check that out to see if you can save that fee...

Thanks for ur suggestion

I always filed a return claim, so I will wait if they will charge me the restocking fee or now.

About the calendar, it's not about reading the different color for each event for different purpose under one account, but about inputting the event with different color from blackberry. I only can choose the default color for each account. This is where I don't like. Now I purchased calengoo from the app world, and it let me do the job as I did with my note 3. Just I don't like the interface is so different since it is not native.

And size doesn't bother me at all. My note 3 was even bigger than this like u already mentioned. The only reason I gave up the q10 last year was the tiny screen. So I actually am very happy with my passport size. The size is the reason why I chose this over the others.

I fully understand the snap or other apps through snap might be causing the battery drain, but I can not give them up since blackberry apps nowhere to the android apps quality for similar services. Messengers, calendar, money book, drop box, google map and etc... I looked into the device manager several times, but it doesn't say any specific app is using the battery crazy. Most of times, display and system takes the biggest part.
    I guess I will just live with this battery rate since it let me survive one day at least.

And The creaky loose body issues are not common, but I did find some threads by others in here crackberryforum as well even though people did not believe and just bashed them.

I'll report back later whether my new phone is all good and they charged me restocking fee or not.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 08:35 AM
    For some of the hardware issues you are seeing, I recommend exchanging the device. The battery life sounds abnormal as well, but I would look towards some app being the culprit behind that. I'm actually an extremely heavy user of my mobile devices, and my Passport far surpasses any other device I used, including one of the best Android devices in respect to battery life, the LG G2. My overnight idle drain is about 1%.

The calendar is leaps and bounds better than Google calendar, so I'm going to have to say that you're probably not using it correctly. It is faster and easier to set up events in the BlackBerry 10 calendar, and you get way more practical options.

I do have to agree with you about the camera. It is one of the worst mobile device cameras out there. While the hardware is good on paper, just like on the LG G2 and G3, the software is so awful that you basically cannot take a proper in-focus picture. This is very unfortunate and I don't expect that it will ever get better. BlackBerry just does not know how to build good camera software at all.

As for the 15%-20% restocking fee, I would NEVER agree to pay that. Obviously you did not buy from Amazon, but from an Amazon Marketplace seller. This isn't good, but it's not the end of the world. Go through PayPal or your credit card company for the return and make sure you don't get charged anything extra. The seller is trying to rip you off. It doesn't cost them anything to restock the device. What they want to do is cover their **** for wanting to resell a used device at a reduced cost. Also, check your seller's return policy and see what details they have published in respect to restocking fees. Keep in mind that the seller could make up anything and decide to charge you the full 20% restocking. A Passport is NOT worth $1,000 spent on it, and it's very unlikely you'll get a perfect device as your new device.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 09:01 AM
    Wait a sec....are you saying that Amazon will charge you 25 percent to return the phone?

If it's faulty, there should be no charge.
    but, if it's just because you don't want it....that's (checking the calculator on my Passport) ...that's $150.00 ?? UNREAL! Does that sound like Amazon?

Maybe if you are in the 30 day period, go straight to shop blackberry. Maybe they can help.
    11-20-14 09:16 PM
    15-20 hours heavy use ?

And here i was being happy i got 12 hours out of it on heavy use...

Having Mixed feeling of BBRY Passport after 4 weeks of use, need some suggestions-img_20141116_035227.jpg
    11-20-14 10:32 PM
    WelI, I already claimed for the refund and I will send the phone back tomorrow. So I'll just have to wait to see if they will charge the restocking fee or now.

The squeaky noise and looseness of the plastic piece below keyboard is bad enough for me to keep the phone, but I'm not sure if it is a good enough reason for them to replace the phone without charging restocking fee. I hope so though... I am still within the 30 days period since the date I received it, so hopefully that will help too.

I dont think passport worth $1000 either, but its still better than keeping $800 phone with annoyance.

I'll let u know how it goes with this amazon seller. He seemed to have near 100% satisfaction with others... so it wiLl help too.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:20 PM
    Wait a sec....are you saying that Amazon will charge you 25 percent to return the phone?

If it's faulty, there should be no charge.
    but, if it's just because you don't want it....that's (checking the calculator on my Passport) ...that's $150.00 ?? UNREAL! Does that sound like Amazon?

Maybe if you are in the 30 day period, go straight to shop blackberry. Maybe they can help.
    It sounds like that the transaction was through a different seller. Kind of like you have different sellers on Ebay; same principle different websites. Going through Amazon themselves they just send a new phone as long as it is within the 30 days.
    I'm on my second Passport and I bought it from Amazon directly, no restocking fee or any such fiddle faddle.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 01:41 AM
    Just an unrelated Question: Why do you not charge your phone when you sleep?

The last thing I always do before bed is plug in my phone.

Why would someone not do that? Charging in this manner is far far better for your long term battery life than letting it get into a low-charge range.

Also, lithium-ion batteries do not suffer from any "memory effect" like the old nickel cadmium batts, so it doesn't affect the battery's maximum charge capacity if you charge it before it gets low.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    11-25-14 03:58 AM
    15-20 hours heavy use ?

And here i was being happy i got 12 hours out of it on heavy use...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141116_035227.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	315902
    Ahhh!!!

If it's at ALL possible, NEVER let your battery get below 20%!! This will KILL your battery!

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    11-25-14 04:00 AM