10-03-17 08:48 PM
87 123 ...
tools
    When it comes to BlackBerry, I know there were Legendary BlackBerrys of past Folklore (the iconic 9900 series, comes to mind). But hearing folks asking more about the Passport during its wind down, prompts a question f the recent generation of Blackberry (BB10 and Android) devices , has the Passport (O.G., AT&T, Silver Edition), gained in appreciation from it's inception; than perhaps the other BlackBerry devices of the same time?

If yes, why do you think, (functionality, design aesthetics, productivity, the fact that the price came in line... ? But If not, who?

Maybe someone at BlackBerry Mobile will take notice when focusing on future designs.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 08-02-17 at 09:16 PM.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    04-01-17 05:09 AM
    The Passport is like a Ferrari. A Ferrari may not be the fastest sports car out there. A Ferrari may not be the most comfortable sports car out there. The Ferrari is not the most economical fuel efficient sports car out there. But one thing is for sure it has that indefinable some thing that moves us. Our emotions are moved with the idea, the sight, and the feel of what a Passport is. Like a Ferrari, the Passport has that unique indefinable something that only a BlackBerry Passport has. The Passport will live on with us Passport users long after it's EOL...A classic not easily forgotten, instead admired and emulated by other smart phone manufacturers for the future. Peace.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 05:56 AM
    It was a ground breaking design. The shear size, the battery life, the track pad keyboard. Man o man, what a great design. A design with form and substance. A true powerhouse with the speed and elegance of the BlackBerry OS10. I believe the quad-core and 3gigs of ram was a perfect mate to the Legend, that is the BlackBerry Passport. What a mobile device...

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 06:04 AM
    ...clearly it is my favorite. But sadly I need to contend with my z30. Also a great BlackBerry device. My BlackBerry Passport suffers from the "zombie"-"emergency calls only" syndrome that according to the BlackBerry KB is still being investigated. I just wonder if there will ever be any closure with my WIFI only BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    wallypops likes this.
    04-01-17 06:10 AM
    I never owned any BlackBerry other than Z10 & BlackBerry Passport OG. But what I can say is although I am a teenager & almost all my colleague has this tons of ****ty apps like snapcchat, swarm & such, I realised I don't need any of them because boy I have a BlackBerry Passport OG right here.

I already fall in love with my mum Z10 & realized how smooth BlackBerry 10 OS really was compared to iOS. I traded my iPhone 6 for my Passport call me stupid but that is the most worthy decision I ever made..!

via BlackBerry P A S S P O R T | Original Gangster
    04-01-17 07:52 AM
    Have been a BB user since 2008...started with the non camera 8830...the hatori hanzo sword of that time in smart phones....and gradually migrated to passport via 8900, 9700,9780 and the iconic 9900...whoa it's been quite a journey and it culminated with the passport...I think BlackBerry team put all their love into this device....just by shear holding it in your hand makes you feel like a king....thats the word for it...you may not be able to install a few latest apps, you may not ne able to do a few tricks with this device...but what you can do is magical...that's why it's the king of all smart phones....cheers.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 10:55 AM
    Recently I was looking at the KeyOne and thinking that it's truly nothing conceptually new, yet more an evolution of the Q30 platform. And really, if you'd research the other concept suggested for the Q30, you'd see it's not much of a departure at all. Just another version with updated software, utilizing functionality components of the Classic and the Passport.
    But unfortunately with a possible delays in it's release, it also inherited some of the missteps BlackBerry has taken in the past that lead to the limited sales that plagued the Classic and the Passport.

So this is what I meant of taken notice to could influence the design of future BlackBerry. Sometimes taking notice refers to what not to do to hinder the success of a device and allowing it to be successful.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 04-02-17 at 09:47 AM.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-02-17 09:36 AM
    YES! To Passport users it is the best of all time. To Chen and the Gang I think not, They treat it now like a child they wish they never had from a one night stand! To me it has all, It's Fast, It feels Substantial, Best of all It doesn't look like anything else in the Copy Cat Market! I'm a Zagger by nature, While 98% of the world are Zigging one way, I'm always going the other.
    04-02-17 04:09 PM
    Bought Passport on launch day, now on PPSE and still loving it
    04-02-17 04:52 PM
    The Passport is like a Ferrari. A Ferrari may not be the fastest sports car out there. A Ferrari may not be the most comfortable sports car out there. The Ferrari is not the most economical fuel efficient sports car out there. But one thing is for sure it has that indefinable some thing that moves us. Our emotions are moved with the idea, the sight, and the feel of what a Passport is. Like a Ferrari, the Passport has that unique indefinable something that only a BlackBerry Passport has. The Passport will live on with us Passport users long after it's EOL...A classic not easily forgotten, instead admired and emulated by other smart phone manufacturers for the future. Peace.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^^^^ This....Couldn't have said it better.
    The keyboard won me over with the intuitiveness and not having to hold the alt key to capitalize or for numbers. Also the word suggestions are great.
    I will be using my Passports for a long while to come, as I have one in each color. I also have the Priv (Android) on my wifi, but the Passport is my daily driver.
    04-02-17 04:52 PM
    Passport...really won me over and now it's tough to think about leaving it anytime soon, at least not this year. The screen size is just perfect, I type ridiculously fast on it especially with swiping up, the battery life continues to be excellent...agree with OP, maybe it has become the iconic BB10 device after all.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 05:21 PM
    I thought it was the best given the big screen and the cool Pkb. But after four months screen lifted from overheating. Sent it to shop blackberry for repairs. Got a replacement with silent spacebar. Throws it off from the other clicky keys!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 05:52 PM
    But would you buy a second generation Passport II. What would you improvements.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    04-04-17 01:45 PM

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    I'd buy a second gen Passport if it were running BB10. Biggest improvement would be adding an extra vertical row or two for modifier keys while maintaining 3-row design.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 04-11-17 at 02:12 PM.
    04-04-17 01:51 PM
    Judging based it's look, its more like a lambo!(they are always designed the wired way)

Posted via CB10
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    04-08-17 04:34 PM
    I believe it's the most polarizing and not the most loved. People that love it adore it and people that hate it loath it. It's definitely the most eye catching and progressive design BlackBerry has had, but progressive doesn't always mean there is progress. As I said, the phone was not well received by many for the sheer size and weight of the device and the 3 row keyboard.

For this reason, the most well loved BlackBerry is not going to be a progressive phone like the Storm or Passport, it's going to be something safe like the 9900 or Q10.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 04-08-17 at 05:06 PM.
    04-08-17 04:50 PM
    The half-and-half keyboard paradigm has to go: Either make it all physical keys, or all touchscreen -- the current half-measure breaks flow terribly, and gives us the worst of both worlds, with the virtual part stealing screen real estate and messing up what remains, just like regular virtual keyboards, but with even less to take from, to begin with.

...so four rows (space freed for the extra one, by eliminating the top bezel (if a solution can't be found for the selfie camera, I for one wouldn't miss it, but if it could be positioned to see through a thin film display (compensating for mask translucency variations and screen pixel output), and be set at portrait eye height, that would make one hell of a pleasant "actually look into the eyes of the person you're on a video call with, instead of at their forehead" experience); Keys with glyphs that change, eliminating the need for a keymap guide overlay or extra (EDIT: ...or any, for that matter) print on the keys (single bendy oled screen does not end after its square main area, but extends under keyboard, and keys are made from fiberoptic taper material); Screen size maximised without increasing the physical size of the device - there's a millimetre to claim on either side, if the adhesive matter can be solved; Softer keys, with more of a "travel" feel, instead of the jarring "snap", utilising the display's capacitive sensing - never were a fan of the arthritis-promoting bubble-switch "click"; Downswipe to change keymap altered, so that it has three side-by-side zones: Left part gives you numeric/arithmetic, which does not automatically go back to alpha after one character, wider centre zone gives you alpha, and the right one cycles pages of additional symbols.

I'd still like an additional and optional full-featured virtual keyboard, or alternative input method, mind you, for occasional one-handed, on-the-move, use; Scaled to thumb reach and adapting to right and left handed users.

BB10 has to remain and improve.

(If there's room left for front-facing speakers: Yes, please)

A man of simple demands, me... ;P
    04-08-17 06:32 PM
    I don't think it has become THE best loved BlackBerry of its time. However, people who love their passport really love them.

I would put the passport, z30, and the q10 up there and maybe the classic as the best loved bb10 phones of their time. None above the rest though.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 08:50 AM
    Totally love my SE.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 09:17 AM
    YES! To Passport users it is the best of all time. To Chen and the Gang I think not, They treat it now like a child they wish they never had from a one night stand! To me it has all, It's Fast, It feels Substantial, Best of all It doesn't look like anything else in the Copy Cat Market! I'm a Zagger by nature, While 98% of the world are Zigging one way, I'm always going the other.
    Same here...

"Emergency Calls Only", on an INFECTED Passport with NO CURE in sight.
    04-09-17 09:40 AM
    Well said. I'd add the fantastic sound from the speakers. Eat your heart out, iPhones!
    04-09-17 02:35 PM
    Blackberry never gave the Passport a chance to be well received, If I weren't a Blackberry buyer already I would have never known that it existed! When Samsung and Apple released a device it's promoted heavily. I know it never would have been purchased by the juvenile gamer market, but many people buy more than one device.
    04-09-17 04:06 PM
    I have to agree that, the success (or the lack of success) of BlackBerry devices has relied heavily on decisions made by management , even when to devices were highly anticipated. And the Passport and the Passport Silver Edition weren't an exception.
    And it seems the KeyOne also is suffering from similar missteps.

That why you have to wonder, how well could the Passport have done, if managed differently.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 04-18-17 at 08:38 AM.
    markmall likes this.
    04-17-17 11:32 AM
    Just received my Passport Sync Pod in the mail today. I freakin' love it. It's going right on my desk next to the keyboard. Classy again as always.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and ratfinkstooley like this.
    04-19-17 10:47 PM
    That is so true. That's why I bought my Passport. So tired of 99.99%

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 10:24 AM
87 123 ...