In the words of the wise Tim McGraw... I like it, I love it, I want some more of it.
    09-06-14 10:38 AM
    What's a newspaper?

Seriously though, you realize that the majority of people, here especially, would have never have heard about this ad if it didn't get spread through the forums.
    Sure a newspaper is a place to advertise, but it's not the most effective.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 4 using Tapatalk
    The globe and mail is the second most read newspaper in Canada, especially for business owners. Great place to advertise!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-06-14 10:38 AM
    According to some readers, the G&M is referred to as the "Mop & Pail"..... yeah its that bad of a newspaper.
    09-06-14 11:03 AM
    that can play every time i turn on my phone ......
    09-06-14 02:54 PM
    What's a newspaper?

Seriously though, you realize that the majority of people, here especially, would have never have heard about this ad if it didn't get spread through the forums.
    Sure a newspaper is a place to advertise, but it's not the most effective.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 4 using Tapatalk
    There is something VERY wrong with this world when people don't read literary articles with proper English (or proper language in any langauge).

Until screens on our smartphones can replicate those Escreens when reading an eBook - reading all pages in a digital newspaper becomes a strain on the eyes.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-06-14 08:23 PM
    It shows a faded picture of what just looks like "a blackberry" (OS7) to most people
    09-07-14 12:57 PM
    Love the style of the ad.. it is exactly what they need to do... in some way it follow the message inside this old campaign that in my opinion is one of the most well done ad for BlackBerry

Focus on the strengths of the brands and on their history. And who does not love the "comeback story??l

I am glad they are putting out ads.. and with the right timing. It means they think they are ready to start again the battle..

Now price the passport competitively and start gain new customers! I am going to enjoy this ride this time

Posted via CB10

I really REALLY have an issue with the first few words in that ad's statement.

BlackBerry did NOT make the first smartphone!

FACTS:

When BlackBerry claims to have been the first smartphone their wrong! Epoc was debuted un the Ericsson R384/5 and 2nd with this Communicator - both where closed couldn't install apps - but so did the BlackBerry when first launched.

EDIT Found my source:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...3/#post8394585

PS: BlackBerry did NOT invent the smartphone!! I HATE seeing this and the fact is they did NOT! Those of you that have used smartphones over the past 15yrs know this.
    EPOC (evolved to become S60), IBM (though sold only in minute numbers to certain corporations 2 decades ago), etc have had products sold in many nations before BlackBerry even got to the two-way pager.

FACTS:
    In June 1998, Psion Software became Symbian Ltd., a major joint venture between Psion and phone manufacturers Ericsson, Motorola, and Nokia. As of Release 6, EPOC became known simply as Symbian OS.
    EPOC (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia & Ericsson R380 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Although the Ericsson R380 was a "closed-smartphone" it still was non-the-less and so was Blackberry's Mobitex based pagers at launch as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry
    The first BlackBerry device, the 850, was introduced in 1999 as a two-way pager in Munich, Germany. The name BlackBerry was coined by the marketing company Lexicon Branding. The name was chosen due to the resemblance of the keyboard's buttons to that of the drupelets that compose the blackberry fruit.

S60 (software platform) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The S60 Platform (formerly Series 60 User Interface) is a software platform for smartphones that runs on the Symbian operating system. It was created by Nokia in 2001, and was first released in 2002 with the Nokia 7650 smartphone.

BlackBerry Device History & Who Invented the BlackBerry Smartphone?

In 1998, RIM produced a wireless handheld called the RIM 950 which handled e-mail, contacts, and calendaring with a built-in QWERTY keyboard. RIM forged partnerships with several wireless carriers and many software and hardware companies along the way.

In 1999, the Blackberry wireless e-mail device, the BlackBerry 5790, was revealed along with the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) for Microsoft Exchange. The BES provided the conduit between the wireless handheld and the corporate Exchange mailbox, with contacts and calendar, putting current business e-mail in the hands of the mobile worker. New content updated in the mailbox was �pushed� out to the BlackBerry keeping the worker up-to-date. The first fully integrated phones were shipped with the 6200 series after the 5810 and 5820 provided phone functionality only with an external headset. RIM also expanded its network coverage from GSM to add CDMA.
    ^ The BB 6230 was announced on 2003, 2Q, the 7230 was announced 2003, 3Q, while the 7290 on 2004, 4Q, this gives Symbian plenty of time ahead as a "smartphone" ability to install applications and make phone calls. Using an external headset (IMHO) shouldn't really count because no headset, no calls.
    BlackBerry did NOT invent the smartphone - Blackberry fans need to come to grip with these facts (I have and seems so has BlackBerry since they no longer make this statement)
    Last edited by Supa_Fly1; 09-07-14 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Source of facts found!
    09-07-14 04:53 PM
    I really REALLY have an issue with the first few words in that ad's statement.

BlackBerry did NOT make the first smartphone!

FACTS:

When BlackBerry claims to have been the first smartphone their wrong! Epoc was debuted un the Ericsson R384/5 and 2nd with this Communicator - both where closed couldn't install apps - but so did the BlackBerry when first launched.

Then Epoc evolved into Symbian! Very powerful and grew exponentially as THE premier smartphone OS globally and just about everything Android can do on a smartphone was first done in Symbian.

Nokia Followed up the 9000 Communicator in 2000 with the 9210 - and featured Open Symbian, based on Symbian v6.0, Series 80 UI
    Nokia 9210 Communicator

I made a much more in-depth post here about 9mths ago and it was thorough and uncontested; just too lazy to dig up right now. Fact is BlackBerry did NOT invent the smartphone ... even the 850/950 and first C++ based devices like it could NOT make calls and only with a headset when they could and was already behind the competition. This is SPECIFICALLY why BlackBerry does NOT use this statement in ads any longer ... it can become a legal issue.
    RIM's e-mail pager dates back to the mid-90s. Yes, that counts.
    09-07-14 05:00 PM
    I believe this was the first smartphone: Simon PDA

It has begun!  (Passport full page newspaper ads)-simon-product-notice.png
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-07-14 05:06 PM
    RIM's e-mail pager dates back to the mid-90s. Yes, that counts.
    A pager that CANNOT make a phone call does NOT count - it's NOT a SMART-PHONE!
    09-07-14 05:14 PM
    I believe this was the first smartphone: Simon PDA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simon Product Notice.png 
Views:	626 
Size:	585.2 KB 
ID:	296404
    interesting find - 1993.

I stand corrected! But smartphones should include making calls and doing more than simple PIM they need to allow end users to install applications, if not their simply PDA devices and well, not "smart".
    09-07-14 05:17 PM
    interesting find - 1993.

I stand corrected! But smartphones should include making calls and doing more than simple PIM they need to allow end users to install applications, if not their simply PDA devices and well, not "smart".
    That's a rather arbitrary and frankly quite silly criterion to defined a phone as "smart." The only fair way to define "smart" is with respect to the current state of handsets at the time. Clearly, in mid 1990s, handling true email was very much and expansion of the scope of a regular mobile phone's functionality, so they should be reasonably considered "smart."

In 2030, any device that doesn't have a full functioning AI that knows me better than my wife, will simply be a "clever" device. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-07-14 06:24 PM
    Any phone that doesn't run BlackBerry 10 is not a smartphone.
    gokulesh and Thrac Dark like this.
    09-07-14 06:27 PM
    That's a rather arbitrary and frankly quite silly criterion to defined a phone as "smart." The only fair way to define "smart" is with respect to the current state of handsets at the time. Clearly, in mid 1990s, handling true email was very much and expansion of the scope of a regular mobile phone's functionality, so they should be reasonably considered "smart."

In 2030, any device that doesn't have a full functioning AI that knows me better than my wife, will simply be a "clever" device. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    I'm curious if a pager was stated by you as counting s smart in its time.

I presented the facts - clearly you haven't had any to refute them. So in its time the BlackBerry 850/850 pagers did not nor could not support calls by this very deification they CANNOT nor should not be considered smartphones simply cause they cannot sport half of the functionality as the type of device supports! Being a phone.

Clearly the mid 1990's email was important breakthrough yet PIM synching was not Palm mastered that previously.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-07-14 11:44 PM
    Good to see BlackBerry doing some marketing. I don't know if it is a little to early to be advertising a comeback just yet. I also wonder of that campaign would be better if it were built around a device that has mass market appeal, which I don't think Passport or Classic will have.

Still good to see BlackBerry advertising again.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-08-14 12:20 AM
    I want to see these in the wall street journal and new york times for the US. Hoping!!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 06:37 AM
    Love the style of the ad.. it is exactly what they need to do... in some way it follow the message inside this old campaign that in my opinion is one of the most well done ad for BlackBerry

Focus on the strengths of the brands and on their history. And who does not love the "comeback story??l

I am glad they are putting out ads.. and with the right timing. It means they think they are ready to start again the battle..

Now price the passport competitively and start gain new customers! I am going to enjoy this ride this time

Posted via CB10
    Yup, that's a gooder

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    09-08-14 06:53 AM
    I was on a cruise last week and one of the staff tried to tell me BlackBerry is going out of business...ummm...i don't think so!!!

PS- he got an ear full from me

CB10/Z10
    Yup having billions in cash just isn't enough to stay in business I guess.

In fact I am pretty sure the largest companies in my industry have less cash lying around than BlackBerry has.
    09-08-14 10:52 AM
    I'm in dubai, the blackberry store is probably going to have it on launch day. I want to get it, but trade in my z30 for a discount which I doubt that they will do. so I will have to wait until another store has it. But it would be pretty cool if they did a trade in as they would probably give more money for my prestine z30 than another store as otherwise they would be admitting that the z30 is pretty much worthless in the market today. (expecting 100 euros trade in from another brand store).

Z30 Pooooooooower!
    09-08-14 11:10 AM
    BlackBerry did NOT invent the smartphone - Blackberry fans need to come to grip with these facts (I have and seems so has BlackBerry since they no longer make this statement)
    Did they ever? I've heard BlackBerry fans state this and the media state this, but never BlackBerry themselves.
    09-08-14 11:32 AM
    I was on a cruise last week and one of the staff tried to tell me BlackBerry is going out of business...ummm...i don't think so!!!

PS- he got an ear full from me

CB10/Z10
    I'm sure that minimum wage staff member really cared about your lecture. Only BlackBerry fans care enough to give a complete stranger an ear full because of a comment about a mobile phone. It's really quite comical.

Last edited by crazigee; 09-08-14 at 10:35 PM.
    09-08-14 03:54 PM
    I'm sure that minimum wage staff member really cared about your lecture. Only BlackBerry fans care enough to give a complete stranger an ear full because of a comment about a mobile phone. It's really quite comical.

You never heard and Android or iPhone fan tell someone that there phone is better than another?

You should read the comments on ABC News and the piece David Muir is working on about the Apple launch today.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:29 AM
    Nothing plays well to the heart of consumers than an underdog with patriotism. Well play.
    09-09-14 07:32 AM
    You never heard and Android or iPhone fan tell someone that there phone is better than another?

You should read the comments on ABC News and the piece David Muir is working on about the Apple launch today.

Posted via CB10
    Never heard anyone lecture some minimum wage wage staff member just because they said something about their beloved mobile phone manufacturer, except for BlackBerry faithful.

There's a big difference between saying you like your phone or that your phone is best and giving someone an "ear full".

09-09-14 08:41 AM
    This is what BlackBerry thinks
    To ACKNOWLEDGE that this is another era... these "executives" put some ads and commercials with messages like "the new BlackBerry helps you to keep moving, buy it"

WTF? People are like, "don't you know BlackBerry that we don't like you anymore? we think you are obsolete, we don't even know/care the Bold9900 was a touchscreen phone"
    09-11-14 10:22 AM
51 123