Ok, so I am disappointed about no verizon passport (yet). However I have been researching the possibility of data only plans and I stumbled onto this...

cnet.com
    how-to/use-the-sim-from-a-verizon-ipad-for-a-data-only-plan-on-your-smartphone/

tldr; you can use a verizon ipad sim card in your smartphone and have what amounts to data only; and i havent read anything more recent to say that it's changed. some of you are likely more updated than me so i will ask the question? has anyone tried getting an activated nano sim from another (possibly broken,parts only) device(i think ipad air has one) and using it for data only in passport? i am fascinated by having the idea of a data only plan and this would be a reason to try out a data only plan.

please weigh in here

or if this unknown here and works then you can just bask in my awesome glow just kidding ofc
    10-06-14 02:09 PM
    It has kind of been tried with Verizon. From a CB blog comment from Flip4Bytes,

I have already tried this with my Passport (my main carrier is Verizon). Talked to tier two tech support various times. They tried tricking the system for it to show up as an unknown device, etc. It just wouldn't work. Brought my phone to the store too. They tried activating my nano sim on an iPhone in the store to my account then popped it in my passport and tried to trick the system but it just kept kicking it back.
    But..from what I understand here is that they always tried to activate the Passport as a phone, and not a tablet.
    10-06-14 02:43 PM
    Yeah what i'm asking is getting it activated for tablet x and then just switch the sim card to the passport. If this hasnt been tried i have a galaxy nexus that i use as a mobile media pc that i can try this for...obv the sim card is different but it should show whether this works or not. Now who do i know that has a 4g tablet....

or i could resort to buying a non-functioning tablet on ebay and just using that imei
    10-06-14 02:52 PM
    Yeah what i'm asking is getting it activated for tablet x and then just switch the sim card to the passport. If this hasnt been tried i have a galaxy nexus that i use as a mobile media pc that i can try this for...obv the sim card is different but it should show whether this works or not. Now who do i know that has a 4g tablet....

or i could resort to buying a non-functioning tablet on ebay and just using that imei
    I know what you are saying. Whoever ends up testing it now will have to get a data line from Verizon, i.e. have an existing tablet line or be willing to open a new one. If I had a damn Passport, I'd do it myself. The cheapest tablet data plan through Verizon is $5/day.
    10-06-14 03:04 PM
    i wonder if it works in the sim for the 9900 or 9930...i'm not sure which of the newer verizon phones has the sim slot (though obv cards are different sizes)
    10-06-14 03:08 PM
    i wonder if it works in the sim for the 9900 or 9930...i'm not sure which of the newer verizon phones has the sim slot
    No. The 9930 has a regular sized SIM card, the Passport takes a nano SIM. Regardless, the issue is not a BB phone SIM vs. a non BB phone SIM--it's a phone SIM vs. a tablet SIM.

A SIM card that has already been activated/provisioned for use on a phone does not work in the Passport (as shown by Flip4Bytes' attempts.) What needs to happen is someone needs to try to do a data line activation with a dummy, Verizon recognized tablet's IMEI and then stick the activated SIM into the Passport and see what happens.
    10-06-14 03:13 PM
    Yeah i agree. the point of asking about the bold was to use another size tablet sim in the bb bold, so if the PROCESS works on the bold it would likely work on the passport. i'm sorry if that didnt come across (clarified that in the edit)
    10-06-14 03:21 PM
    I tried getting through to verizon, but it is impossible.... tried via Skype in the UK. Impossible to speak with a person there....

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 03:29 PM