I know there are numerous threads based upon this question. But I am just curious, if I buy a passport off amazon, and insert my current sim active on verizon with my Q10, will the passport fully function.

Or even better.. has anyone heard of rumors for verizon releasing the passport?

I know the device is not CDMA (I'm not expert on all the band frequencies) however, the passport does support the same bands my Q10 uses, (13 and 3 I believe) my LTE signal strength is very strong where I live (central NJ)

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 01:47 AM
    Yes, it has been tried before and no, it did not work. People have tried activating it both as a phone and as a tablet (i.e. a device that's less CDMA-dependent than a phone.)
    12-21-14 01:49 AM
    Yea I know I have saw replies stating that. I was just hoping that there was progression since then because that was around launch. Damn you BlackBerry and verizon lol

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:30 AM
    Possible that you would get data but you would be unable to make or receive any phone calls...

At least until Verizon fully pushes out VoLTE on on their network it will be impossible.

Sorry,
    And no Verizon has no plans on releasing the Passport.
    They have however announced that they will be releasing the Classic if if that interests you.

Verizon Z10 on Golan Telecom....?
    12-21-14 06:09 AM
    Possible that you would get data but you would be unable to make or receive any phone calls...
    This has been tried, and it didn't work. One person tried activating the Passport in-store as a phone, it didn't work. Another tried as a data device (which I personally thought had a better chance of succeeding,) and it didn't work either.

One way or another, Verizon is required to allowed the Passport on its band 13 LTE network, because of said network's open access rules. And people have escalated this issue with the Nexus 7 up to Verizon lawyers and gotten it to work. But as you pointed out, voLTE is coming, so is it really worth it to fight this battle now?
    geekaren and southlander like this.
    12-21-14 01:43 PM
    You don't get data, you don't get anything. It just keeps saying 'searching for signal' I tried it when I got my passport just to see if it was possible, I tried everything, even tried activating it with a VZW call rep by giving them my IMEI over the phone... as said before, Verizon will NOT activate a phone that is not on their list of devices, and has CDMA certification.

People should search before posting threads like this as this has been covered numerous times. There will NOT be a Verizon Passport unless Blackberry plans to release a CDMA one in the future, and by then it will probably be around the time that the Passport II is released.

The other option would be for Verizon to fully activate VoLTE and allow outside devices on it. But seriously, the chances of that are slim to none.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by thedose; 12-21-14 at 03:05 PM.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-21-14 02:35 PM
    Verizon has indicated that they plan on selling LTE-only phones starting 2016. Now how they plan to roll out voLTE (is it going to be accessible on their b4 network only, or all LTE networks? Does "open access" include open access to technology/services that make use of that network?) remains to be seen. They're refarming PCS to LTE too now, not to mention the 600 MHz auctions, so they won't be exactly pressed for spectrum.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out, for sure. This (voLTE) and what happens to their networks when everything is LTE--will Verizon's networks become open like AT&T and TMO's are?
    thedose likes this.
    12-21-14 03:40 PM