Hard reset by holding both volume buttons is no longer working on my Passport.

It never did work the same as previous Z10.

How Z10 used to work - hold both buttons until the blue logo appears with start up timer.

How it used to work on Passport - if you held both volume buttons it would never turn off just keep cycling through the white BlackBerry screen. Learned from others here to let go of both buttons soon as the BlackBerry appears. This did apparently effect a hard reset, but always left me wondering if truly a hard reset... and why different than Z10.

Now this method no longer works on my Passport. In fact holding the buttons only turns device off and it never gets to BlackBerry text. However, after releasing buttons it does restart. But here is the crazy part... it restarts with the same active frames still open that were open before turning off. This is crazy... and obviously NOT a hard reset.

At present really wishing this rig had removable battery as there seems no real hard reset available.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 12:52 AM
    Try holding te power button down for ten seconds or more, that should do the trick and hard reboot / reset your Passport

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 12:56 AM
    Are your active frames still alive? or are they blank and just place cards for the apps you used to have open? Mine still works as designed but I have empty place cards(not active, but blank cards) on my live tile page of the apps that were open when I rebooted. This is how its supposed to work in 10.3.1

Also, if you hold the 2 volume buttons, it should eventually pop up the word BlackBerry, this is when you let go and the device reboots. If you continue to hold the buttons, it will continue to reboot. My Z10 works this way also on 10.3.1
    12-17-14 06:10 AM
    Are your active frames still alive? or are they blank and just place cards for the apps you used to have open? Mine still works as designed but I have empty place cards(not active, but blank cards) on my live tile page of the apps that were open when I rebooted. This is how its supposed to work in 10.3.1

Also, if you hold the 2 volume buttons, it should eventually pop up the word BlackBerry, this is when you let go and the device reboots. If you continue to hold the buttons, it will continue to reboot. My Z10 works this way also on 10.3.1
    To your first question, I think you're right, they were just empty place cards.

But the second part... that is how it used to work but no longer. Now... no matter ho long I hold both volume buttons the word BlackBerry does not appear. Rather, the device does turn off... then after releasing the volume buttons it restarts.

I'm not sure why this has changed... and I am not convinced it is resulting in a hard reboot.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 06:25 AM
    Currently running 10.3.1.1154 and my 2 button reboot works exactly as I have described. What OS are you running?

Also do you not get the blue circle showing the reboot process, before you get to your "desktop"? If your getting the blue circle, the device is rebooting.
    12-17-14 06:52 AM
    To your first question, I think you're right, they were just empty place cards.

But the second part... that is how it used to work but no longer. Now... no matter ho long I hold both volume buttons the word BlackBerry does not appear. Rather, the device does turn off... then after releasing the volume buttons it restarts.

I'm not sure why this has changed... and I am not convinced it is resulting in a hard reboot.

Posted via CB10
    I encounter the same this.

Before I used to be able to do a hard reset by pressing the two volume buttons down until the blackberry word comes up.

Now no matter how long I press the volume buttons the screen will turn black but the blackberry word will not appear until I release the volume buttons.

Then the placeholder for the active frame remains. I tried holding it for almost a minute and word blackberry still does not appear.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:34 AM
    Also holding both vol up and down buttons will result in a screenshot being taken. If that isn't happening then something is wrong.

Hate to say it but you may need to wipe the phone and see if the same issue persists. If it does then re-load the OS and again see if the issue persists, if it does could be a faulty device. If it doesn't then it could be an app that's giving you issues so try installing each app one by one and see which one causes this issue.

Make sure you do a backup via link before wiping as you will lose your data.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 12:55 PM
    To answer earlier question, I am running stock 10.3.0.738.

And I have to say, the more I think about this the more skeptical I am about whether this process is really effecting a hard reset.

If truly a hard reset, how could there possibly be any data left in memory about what was previously running. Even if these are just shells of active frames that remain, how could it possibly be considered a hard reset if memory still remembers what you were doing before?

Something doesn't add up for me...

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 03:38 PM
    I have the same problem. Holding both volume keys does not hard reset my phone. I can hold them down forever but nothing happens, it is only when I release that my phone goes back to whatever I was doing before I tried to reset the phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 08:42 PM
    I have the same issue. Is there any other way to do a hard reset?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 09:04 AM

If truly a hard reset, how could there possibly be any data left in memory about what was previously running. Even if these are just shells of active frames that remain, how could it possibly be considered a hard reset if memory still remembers what you were doing before?

Posted via CB10
    The OS keeps a record of what apps you had running at the time of shutdown on the device's storage not in the memory (RAM). Otherwise it wouldn't be able to remember what you had open after a hard reset, a restart or a shutdown/power on.

On 10.3.1.1154 on a Z30 here the hard reset process is volume up and volume down until the screen goes blank then let go and the device boots back up. It's better this way, less confusion as to when to let go when it won't boot up until you do let go.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    12-26-14 09:31 AM
    01-31-15 10:16 AM
    Hard reset? Settings-Security and Privacy-Security wipe.

It will delete all the data, approximately 45 minutes...factory default.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:53 PM