10-04-15 12:18 AM
44 12
tools
    Just to make people aware, my official hard shell has scuffed the top of my passport along the top where it is covered on both sides. There is scuffing on the glass, and a small indent at either side on the sim cover where the case ends. I cant upload a pic and I probably wont come back to this thread but I figured id mention it as some of you may have had your cases on from day one and not noticed. Brent.

Posted via CB10
    Dodger52 likes this.
    12-03-14 06:04 AM
    I ordered one of these cases and am now skeptical...

Do you think the scuffing was caused by installation?

Where was the screen scuffed? Do you think a screen protector would have prevented any scuffing?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 06:26 AM
    Thx. Was waiting for someone to give an update on that. I just bought a soft shell case. Not sure if I will use it or still go naked with the device. I like how it looks just being naked. lol
    chflower likes this.
    12-03-14 06:30 AM
    Thanks for threads like these to give us a bit of a warning. Mines on its way, and I am NOT installing it.

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    12-03-14 07:09 AM
    No such issues on mine, I've had the BlackBerry hard case on my Passport for about a mth.

No scuffs or indentations so far altho I'm ordering a leather case for it ie either vaja or tetded. Just haven't made up my mind as to which one to get.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 07:24 AM
  6. fridaybeatsmondayanygivensunday's Avatar
    I've posted before on a previouse thread and yes, the same thing happened to my passport. But not yet on the screen. After a day of use and notice the scuffing, I put tape on the edges to prevent further damage. Indent, yup, now it has also.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 07:55 AM
    Hard Case scuffing top of the phone.-img-20141203-wa005.jpg
    Hard Case scuffing top of the phone.-img-20141203-wa004.jpg
    Hard Case scuffing top of the phone.-img-20141203-wa002.jpg
    Attempted to attach pics.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:19 AM
    Appreciate they might be worthless if your viewing through CB10, also sorry for double post. I have an open ticket with BlackBerry support so il try get back to update this when I hear from them. Screen protector wouldn't help as its the top off the glass that's scuffed.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:22 AM
    Unfortunately I can't see any damage on the pics, is it the top of the phone that is damaged or the back?

I also use a hard shell case and don't want mine to get damaged

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:42 AM
    So, I think this is what everyone needs to accept about this issue because there are multiple threads about it already: yes, the case will give your phone some small scuffs around the corners. I think that it is mainly from taking the case on and off but could also just be from minor movements while it is on. So what?! I know that you want your baby in mint condition but, you know what, it's going to happen sooner or later. Without ever using a case, you are likely to get the same wear on your phone and if you ever drop it without a case, you are going to fare much worse. I'm already on my second hardshell case since I cracked the corner on my first one. It was a pretty hard drop and I don't want to think of what my Passport would look like if I hadn't had the case on it. I really don't mind the small scuffs on the corners, the case covers them up anyway. I'm just glad that my Passport is protected from any serious damage.
    12-03-14 09:55 AM
    Yeah its really light and honestly its nothing to get worked up about, its more principle and that this is what one month does so its only going to get worse. You should be able to see if you could see the full size image on a pc. Just something to be aware of if your using the case. On another note my buddy had this with an iPhone 4 bumper scraping the silver off and they replaced it over the counter. Be interesting to see what BlackBerry say.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 10:03 AM
    And no sorry birddog, iv just sold a 10 month old note 3 in mint condition, as mint condition, to buy my passport. Not something I could have done if id used a poor case for that period of time.

Posted via CB10
    Dodger52 likes this.
    12-03-14 10:05 AM
    So, I think this is what everyone needs to accept about this issue because there are multiple threads about it already: yes, the case will give your phone some small scuffs around the corners. I think that it is mainly from taking the case on and off but could also just be from minor movements while it is on. So what?! I know that you want your baby in mint condition but, you know what, it's going to happen sooner or later. Without ever using a case, you are likely to get the same wear on your phone and if you ever drop it without a case, you are going to fare much worse. I'm already on my second hardshell case since I cracked the corner on my first one. It was a pretty hard drop and I don't want to think of what my Passport would look like if I hadn't had the case on it. I really don't mind the small scuffs on the corners, the case covers them up anyway. I'm just glad that my Passport is protected from any serious damage.
    A case is supposed to protect your phone, not damage it....

Posted via CB10
    grungebetty likes this.
    12-03-14 10:31 AM
    Yeah, agreed. I don't know why anyone would accept damage caused by a case as OK. The hard shell caused this issue on 3 of my Passports before I realized that I need to file and smooth out the edges of the case a bit to prevent damage from happening.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 11:02 AM
    Same issue here. Very light scuffing on the top plastic edge. Not a big deal, considering the Hard Case does protect the rest of the phone. Maybe before warranty is up I'll contact BlackBerry and see what can be done.

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-03-14 11:14 AM
    I placed some tape on mine. Stopped the scuffing. Unfortunately did not know this on the first day.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 11:16 AM
    Could someone please describe or otherwise point out exactly where the damage occurs..

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 11:18 AM
    I also sold my mint condition Z30 to buy this phone, not a blemish on it and I had it for almost a year... Maybe I feel different about the Passport because I look at my old Bold 9700 and see the scuffs and scratches on it, and realize that I will have this phone for just as long and a few scratches along the way are not something that I'm worried about. The resale on this phone is zero because I know I'm in it for the longhaul.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-03-14 11:25 AM
    I currently have mine on with some tape covering the corners. I don't want to remove it until my soft shell case comes in but I'm worried I'm going to see the indentation once I remove the case. Ideally I'd like to check but I don't want to keep putting it on and removing it.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 12:28 PM
    This is a picture I got from another thread where the marks are clearly showing. In my case, the stainless steel bezel got scratched but it's very, very small and the average person wouldn't notice it.

Hard Case scuffing top of the phone.-crackberry-image-2-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 12:36 PM
    Umm yes that's a problem!

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 12:41 PM
    This is a picture I got from another thread where the marks are clearly showing. In my case, the stainless steel bezel got scratched but it's very, very small and the average person wouldn't notice it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(2).jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	318452

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for clarifying that for me i've just ordered a TPU to case S shape for the Passport as a precautionary measure.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 01:25 PM
    And no sorry birddog, iv just sold a 10 month old note 3 in mint condition, as mint condition, to buy my passport. Not something I could have done if id used a poor case for that period of time.

Posted via CB10
    This. Cases for me are more about preserving the phone from blemishes/scratches than screen shattering so I just get the slim-fit cases than a larger Otterbox type. So if a phone/case combo introduces blemishes of its own than its an instant no go.
    12-03-14 01:25 PM
    Yup. Just checked mine. There is a mark on each side on the top of the phone on that black plastic strip that is above the glass. The mark on each side is where the hard shell case corner terminates.

I will be adding a piece of tape on mine to stop any further grindage.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 02:10 PM
    Now this is very concerning. Does anyone know if other brands of snap-on cases will damage the phone in a similar manner? I was looking into getting either a Tetded case or a Vaja case but now I'm hesitant..
    12-03-14 08:46 PM
44 12