Funny, I'm a righty but most often when I go one handed with my Q10 it's in my left- never thought of that 'till I read this thread. Hmmm, interesting... just practiced and am better one handy with the left, or "typing stranger" as it will be referred to henceforth.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    Same with me, indeed, righty but most often my 1 hand usage is with the left one... because it's the one that is free
    08-17-14 04:07 AM
    And putting this very wide phone to your ear to make a call is going to just look silly.
    That's just such a non issue. I cut out the Passports dimensions from a cardboard and holding it to the ear feels just about right. The reason why it might look "silly" to others is just the fact that its proportions are unique and uncommon. The fact what others think is irrelevant aside, I'd much rather hold a wide phone like the Passport to my ear than a tall and wide phone like a traditional phablet which to everybody looks like a small tablet. Now that looks much more silly.
    08-17-14 08:11 AM
    If I can't put it in my shirt pocket there's little reason for me to own it, as it's not a true mobile device.
    lift likes this.
    08-19-14 03:09 PM
    I wonder if the Passport is going to be the widest phone on the market. Anyone know the exact dimensions of the Passport? I would like to do a search and find out what the current widest phone is and compare.
    08-19-14 09:29 PM
    I wonder if the Passport is going to be the widest phone on the market. Anyone know the exact dimensions of the Passport? I would like to do a search and find out what the current widest phone is and compare.
    Lol you keep posting all this judgements and don't know its exact dimensions? It's 89 by 125 mm. And yes that makes it the widest phone on the market, but at the same time also the one with the smallest height compared to any other flagship device (save current iPhones) by a wide margin.

But the most important thing is that it's also the phone with the widest portrait display. If a phone wants to have a traditional 16:9 display that's this wide in portrait, it has to be 6.5" diagonally. Which makes it a tablet, not a phablet.
    DYLANHABKIRK and BroncoVAL like this.
    08-20-14 01:14 AM
    Lol you keep posting all this judgements and don't know its exact dimensions? It's 89 by 125 mm. And yes that makes it the widest phone on the market, but at the same time also the one with the smallest height compared to any other flagship device (save current iPhones) by a wide margin.

But the most important thing is that it's also the phone with the widest portrait display. If a phone wants to have a traditional 16:9 display that's this wide in portrait, it has to be 6.5" diagonally. Which makes it a tablet, not a phablet.
    What are you slamming me for?? Looking at the pictures is enough to know it is very wide. I just didn't know HOW wide. The height is not an issue at all. There are LOTS of phones that are higher. Being WIDE IS an issue.
    It is an issue when holding it, an issue when typing on it, an issue putting it in any pocket, an issue when doing anything with it. Why do you think no other phone manufacturer has made wide phones (that were successful).
    That's what I am concerned about. Like I said, maybe you love this device and can't wait to get your hands on it, but I am concerned about it's perception in the general public (I know that's not the CLAIMED target market). So if a business decides to look at the Passport and the employees flip out because they think it is too wide or ugly, then it won't matter?
    Of course the general public's perception of the phone is going to matter!
    08-20-14 07:53 AM
    Lol you keep posting all this judgements
    And so do you about how wonderful you think it is. So stop giving me crap.
    08-20-14 07:54 AM
    Hey OP,
    Can you plug the Passport into a monitor and post a pic of the screen. I think a few people would be interested to see the results.

BB10 4 ME
    mode_m likes this.
    08-20-14 08:20 AM
    Great post. I'm still on the proverbial fence with this device or an updated touch screen.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:52 AM
    What are you slamming me for?? Looking at the pictures is enough to know it is very wide. I just didn't know HOW wide. The height is not an issue at all. There are LOTS of phones that are higher. Being WIDE IS an issue.
    It is an issue when holding it, an issue when typing on it, an issue putting it in any pocket, an issue when doing anything with it. Why do you think no other phone manufacturer has made wide phones (that were successful).
    That's what I am concerned about. Like I said, maybe you love this device and can't wait to get your hands on it, but I am concerned about it's perception in the general public (I know that's not the CLAIMED target market). So if a business decides to look at the Passport and the employees flip out because they think it is too wide or ugly, then it won't matter?
    Of course the general public's perception of the phone is going to matter!
    It's just like to point out that height to its an issue with the current crop of smartphones. Because of the aspect ratio, the phones tend to be very tall. If you put them in your pant's pocket and then sit down, you often have to reposition the phones so they don't stab you in the hip bone. Passport height is perfect because it is no larger than a Z10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-20-14 10:05 AM
    It's just like to point out that height to its an issue with the current crop of smartphones. Because of the aspect ratio, the phones tend to be very tall. If you put them in your pant's pocket and then sit down, you often have to reposition the phones so they don't stab you in the hip bone. Passport height is perfect because it is no larger than a Z10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I agree about the height issue. The Z30 is kind of tall and I do have to move it around in my front jeans pocket sometimes to be comfortable. But let's not ignore the width. I know the Passport is not as tall as a Z30 and that's good. But it's much wider. That will cause other issues. That's all I'm saying.
    08-20-14 10:19 AM
    I agree about the height issue. The Z30 is kind of tall and I do have to move it around in my front jeans pocket sometimes to be comfortable. But let's not ignore the width. I know the Passport is not as tall as a Z30 and that's good. But it's much wider. That will cause other issues. That's all I'm saying.
    The Passport will definitely take some getting used to. The width is extreme, especially for a BlackBerry. One-handed use is not going to be easy, especially with the keyboard at the very bottom of the device. I will definitely have one, but hopefully I'll also have a Q10 shortly as a fallback device if the Passport doesn't work for me.
    lift likes this.
    08-20-14 10:33 AM
    Yeah, tbh I didn't like the Z30's width when I tested it. I have relatively large hands, but I found it to be awkward. But that might have been because there was nowhere to grip with your thumb (too much screen). The Passport may be better because of that keyboard space.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:35 AM
    If they hired a good, young advert firm and played with the hip to be square in a really cool/funny way while highlighting some of the serious advantages, well it could really work. Especially for the hipster crowd, which might embrace something as oddball as the Passport. Maybe.

The elephantitis advert was misguided.

Posted via CB10
    labyrinth9 likes this.
    08-20-14 11:38 AM
    Yep.

If they hired a good, young advert firm and played with the hip to be square in a really cool/funny way while highlighting some of the serious advantages, well it could really work. Especially for the hipster crowd, which might embrace something as oddball as the Passport. Maybe.

The elephantitis advert was misguided.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:48 AM
    I was really hoping we could do this without the hipsters. Or the Kardashians.
    StormieTwo and lift like this.
    08-20-14 12:23 PM
    I was really hoping we could do this without the hipsters. Or the Kardashians.
    It'd be nice to have as many people as we can. And not really hipsters, just fashion forward young people who might be more interested in an oddball phone instead of another iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:35 AM
92 ... 234