A lot of consumers are going to be surprised and unhappy. They are expecting too much.

The consumers will want it free and they cannot afford that. Who pays for all the engineering?

Posted via CB10
    What if, for consumers, it was free with BlackBerry 10 phones. Could it drive up BB10 sales? Perhaps, they could charge for non-BlackBerry phones.
    06-26-14 09:53 PM
    A lot of consumers are going to be surprised and unhappy. They are expecting too much.

The consumers will want it free and they cannot afford that. Who pays for all the engineering?

Posted via CB10
    That's the issue with BBM protected, and now this... I think many people wouldn't mind paying for these add ons (we already buy apps, accessories, etc). Why not let non-enteprise users also buy into these features?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:55 PM
    Blend is Enterprise ONLY? Thats a bummer.
    06-26-14 10:09 PM
    Blend is Enterprise ONLY? Thats a bummer.
    iii dont know if we can trust that..

it looks like to me that blackberry blend is going to take over blackberry link and we should all have it... heres some hope

Hands on with the Passport-img_20140627_042304.png
    0rin0k0, dusdal, bizzyqu and 3 others like this.
    06-26-14 11:27 PM
    I don't think it's expecting too much. Apple and Google have both announced similar functionality coming to all users of their systems. I don't mind paying for Blend as a service, but I don't want to have to use BES. My company won't use BlackBerry's enterprise products -- they believe the world has moved on, but they respect my desire to use a BlackBerry device on the network.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 11:53 PM
    Lol blend is consumer too

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:48 AM
    Blend is not dedicated to BES, because in the demo video they make they said that you won't need corporate access or VPN to access the information...

And Apple already announced that, in a much bigger fashion than BB did (like always...). So they cannot even sell Blend.
    06-27-14 03:07 AM
    AMOLED is the way to be, that way when the black lines are there for movies and whatnot, it doesnt bother you at night
    Exactly. I suspect Android apps will be letterboxed vertically, too. With an AMOLED display the black bars will blend in nicely with the rest of the phone.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-27-14 03:53 AM
    D_March... Blend will be workspace (e.g. Enterprise) only...
    That's the best news ever, I was concerned that Blend may be something that us Work Only / Regulated admins could not support, I'm just looking forward to it even more now.

For me Blend is far more important / bigger than any new devices.
    06-27-14 06:00 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Well, actually, if you look at what Android and IOS are cooking, you can see the convergence is the way to go. Blend was a concrete step towards convergence. Not relasing it for consumers while the opponents are doing it would be a mistake to my mind.
    I don't think people are looking for perfection, especially when things are free. Did you ever see someone going to Google and burn the building because some chrome feature was failing on his browser?

By the way, thanks to 0rin0k0 for those information.
    06-27-14 06:54 AM
    Is this going to be waterproof? What about QI Wireless Charging support?
    06-27-14 08:36 AM
    That's the issue with BBM protected, and now this... I think many people wouldn't mind paying for these add ons (we already buy apps, accessories, etc). Why not let non-enteprise users also buy into these features?

Posted via CB10
    Enterprise has nothing to do with it... if you want to buy these features you can.

Go signup for BES CLOUD Services and these "enterprise" feature will be yours (assuming they work with the CLOUD version of BES).... Balance, BBM Protect, Blend (if it's not available to non BES users), and what ever else BlackBerry comes up with.

The problem with BBM Protect is it is an organizational tool - it works within a closed network. So anyone you want to use it with will need to be on your "cloud" or if you are adventurous your Server.
    06-27-14 08:50 AM
    Is this going to be waterproof? What about QI Wireless Charging support?
    According to Thurask's findings in the OS documentation, it will support wireless charging and quick charge

Okay, new SDK, new thing to play with. So far:

• Manitoba exists (720x1280 screen, Z30 radio, R146/R147)
    • Passport will have wireless charging
    • P9983 confirmed
    • Passport has ANX7808 Slimport transmitter
    • Passport probably has OIS
    • Passport keypad is probably backlit (why else would it have GLO?)

Attachment 279943
    Attachment 279944

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 09:05 AM

The problem with BBM Protect is it is an organizational tool - it works within a closed network. So anyone you want to use it with will need to be on your "cloud" or if you are adventurous your Server.
    not exactly true about BBM Portect, they just need to be on another BES server that supports Protect.
    06-27-14 10:02 AM
    Thanks for the information on the passport. I can't wait, as i have said in a few of my post, I am buying one on launch day as long as its a GSM version.
    The bad part here in the USA is that Verizon will probably get the exclusive on it. I will just have to buy an unlocked or Canadian version, no big deal. Sent from my lovey z30 on T Mobile USA
    Why do you think Verizon will be exclusive for the Passport? Did I miss something?
    06-27-14 10:07 AM
    I too hope Blend will be free for all and the music sync screeny certainly seems to support that idea, I can only go off what our account manager hinted at so its not 100%.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-27-14 03:41 PM
    I thought AMOLED is used on the Q10 to save battery. It isn't exclusive to Samsung devices, is it? Maybe they make the panel but even Apple has a lot of Samsung components, correct? That could mean stellar battery life on the Passport.
    Amoled saves on black colours and uses a lot for white colours. So it's not even that battery friendly unless you have everything dark.

And Amoled is used in many brands, not just samsung.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 04:43 PM
    It's LCD.

Sorry to be vague in that statement, but everyone should know that by now so long as they've been following along.
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    06-27-14 05:56 PM
    It's LCD.

Sorry to be vague in that statement, but everyone should know that by now so long as they've been following along.
    Yes, the Passport is equipped with an LCD display. I'm not sure why many on here keep claiming it's OLED. It's even obvious through the leaked screenshots. The operating system runs on a white theme.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 06:16 PM
    D_March... Blend will be workspace (e.g. Enterprise) only... its really cool though

KingOfQwerty and eldricho like this.
    06-27-14 07:55 PM
    Yes, the Passport is equipped with an LCD display. I'm not sure why many on here keep claiming it's OLED. It's even obvious through the leaked screenshots. The operating system runs on a white theme.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the clarification. Were BlackBerry just a little more forthcoming with information we'd have less confusion
    06-27-14 07:56 PM
    06-27-14 08:03 PM
    I had a demo from Blackberry of the Passport today and managed to get five minutes with it. It's really quite nice, a good weight in the hand and the screen is great. The size was ok too, it feels like a real email machine and of course the browser is really quick. Whilst I wouldn't want it as my main device, that'd still be the Z30, I'd really like it as a secondary Wi-Fi only option.

We saw Blend too and that really is awesome, can't wait for that.

Thought I'd share
    Yes, post more pictures when you hang on.
    06-27-14 08:26 PM
    Brightened the back door so you can get a better look at the material.
    Attached Thumbnails Hands on with the Passport-img_27283_8386.png   Hands on with the Passport-brighe.jpg   Hands on with the Passport-screen-shot-2014-06-27-10.08.19-pm.jpg  
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 06-27-14 at 09:16 PM.
    06-27-14 08:59 PM
    I wish people would change from the black wallpaper when photographing the Passport. It blends so much with the bezel that it really doesn't give a clear subconscious impression of the sheer size of the display. The call and navigation buttons at the bottom seem to blend with the keyboard. All the most attractive shots I've seen of it so far have been when it has apps open, not on the desktop. The distance of the icons from the sides doesn't help with this. I'd love to see some clear shots of it doing something bright on the screen, so we can really get a sense of the scale of the screen.
    Vector-SS likes this.
    06-27-14 09:08 PM
103 1234 ...