I will try to keep this brief. I am currently on Verizon (have been for 12 years). Their coverage and service in my opinion is second to none (at least in the South East US). However, with the Passport not coming to Verizon (we all know why - plus don't feel like waiting for VoLTE to arrive) and knowing folks have had success running a PAssport on AT&T, I was thinking about switching service providers when my contract is up.

With all this, I found myself asking if GSM-based providers are just ultimately 'better' (In the sense that any unlocked GSM phones seem to work on any GSM network - i.e. mobile flexibility).

On a side note I travel to Canada and the North East (primarily NY) often and wonder how my service will be while traveling (Mostly concerned with Canada).

Any feedback/info/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    10-23-14 02:12 PM
    In my experience in the US, Verizon has been the strongest in terms of coverage. In terms of Canada, and almost anywhere outside of the US, you have better options in terms of coverage with a GSM carrier but my limited use of my phones in Canada has been pretty good other than the roaming charges. It is easier to swap phones between GSM carriers as well, since you have the ability to buy them unbranded (i.e. not from a specific carrier) and have them work for the most part, but there are differences in the GSM range so you do need to pay attention to what bands your preferred carrier uses.

In the end, the real question should be coverage: the greatest device in the world doesn't do you much good if the coverage isn't there. If a competing GSM carrier can offer you the same level of service, and also allow you to go for the Passport, then make the switch.
    10-23-14 02:22 PM
    For various reasons Verizon overall coverage in the US is considered to be the best I believe. That said, GSM is a more widely accepted service. My family and I travel in the US and have been in Canada without an issue with GSM phones. We even managed England and Spain. All that is needed is a new SIM card and off you go. In the US penetration of large buildings is not so good sometimes but that is a small price to pay for me and my family.
    10-23-14 02:25 PM
    In the end, the real question should be coverage: the greatest device in the world doesn't do you much good if the coverage isn't there. If a competing GSM carrier can offer you the same level of service, and also allow you to go for the Passport, then make the switch.
    This is what gets me. I love Verizon service/coverage - even more so when my friends complain about their spotty service almost daily (AT&T, T-Mo, Sprint). You are correct though, what good is a great device if i can't use it to it's full potential?
    10-23-14 02:27 PM
    OP, where in the south east are you? Are you in VA per any chance?

I'm in VA with VZW and due to VZW's stubborn desire to not release the Passport, I too am thinking about switching carriers so I can use this amazing device, however, I am also concerned about not having coverage, thus making it pointless.
    10-23-14 02:32 PM
    OP, where in the south east are you? Are you in VA per any chance?

I'm in VA with VZW and due to VZW's stubborn desire to not release the Passport, I too am thinking about switching carriers so I can use this amazing device, however, I am also concerned about not having coverage, thus making it pointless.
    Unfortunately not in VA. I say that because i used to live in Richmond and loved it. Currently I am in Greenville, SC.
    10-23-14 02:38 PM
    Switched from vrz to t mobile off contract last night.
    T mobile can refund early termination fee if you return any used phone and buy anything from them. I will see if I like Tmobile with the passport. If no go, I can always walk away to att. Loved vrz coverage but it's too limiting when using a cdma phone when you travel abroad since everybody else is gsm. Plus I do not think there are any plans to build cdma type passport now. You can wait till att offers passport but it will be locked and you won't be able to use it abroad wo roaming charges.
    So far Tmobile has been outstanding. Unlimited everything including data plus free international text for $80. This phone is amazing if you are not an app *****. By far the best display more ppi than any other device out there and battery life for days. To me it was worth the switch to use a device like this than be stuck with a mediocre phone on a great network.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 02:56 PM