Hi, I own a PP SE.

When I turn on my GPS, and run the compass app, If I press the red button, then my coordinates are shown.

Is there a way to have my position's coordinates with high accuracy?

For instance: 35.234 N, 24.435 E

How am I supposed to get more accuracy? For instance: 35:23:435322332433323

Thank you !
    06-16-16 11:01 AM
    And the need for that is? if I may ask?
    By the way greetings from Greece also!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 04:24 PM
    I want to mark some points on google maps, that may be 100 meters away from each other.
    Thus, I need increased accuracy in order to be able to distinguish them.
    06-16-16 04:56 PM
    I believe it depends on your signal entirely.

On Android, you can change the settings for GPS accuracy to keep battery consumption down (actually, it ends up using cell towers or the like to calculate your position). But I haven't encountered such settings here on BB10. Maybe GPS specific apps will do the job.

But how accurate do you need it to be? In can get my location down to a few feet / meters.

Passport.
    06-16-16 05:49 PM
    I want to mark some points on google maps, that may be 100 meters away from each other.
    Thus, I need increased accuracy in order to be able to distinguish them.
    Sounds fair but I think that accuracy is down to some meters

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 06:43 PM
    Next Tuesday I will visit my experimental field, the test olive grove in order to install some autonomous insect traps.

These traps are monitored using a web interface that utilizes google maps. Thus, we need the correct geographical position of each trap.

For instance:
    Latitude: 35.4885382039999
    Longitude: 23.7538669539999

How am I supposed to get such an accuracy using my passport?

The accuracy obtained via the compass app (for instance: 34,518 is not adequate, not as accurate as I need)

Thanks.
    06-17-16 07:57 AM
    There are apps for that. Which have you tried?

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    06-17-16 09:24 AM
    I have only tried the pre-installed compass app, which also gives the current position, with relatively low accuracy tough.
    06-17-16 09:41 AM
    What you are asking for is not possible. You cannot get more accurate readings than 3-4 meters (RMS that is) at the very best for civilian use. What you can do is try to correct the readings, but that is a whole other matter. So how accurate readings do you actually need?

The Compass app is not ideal for getting your location - no matter what you do or how good of a signal you have, it will keep showing 3 decimals (the developers didn't think any more decimals were necessary for this specific app).

Now, just download any other app that uses the GPS, for instance MAPS.ME. I get 5 decimals here.

I just downloaded an app called "GPS Coordinates" from the Google Play Store (Cobalt), I get 14 decimals. But do keep in mind, that more decimals does not mean it is more accurate!
    06-17-16 09:43 AM
    GPS coordinates, was the app I had installed on my Note 4, and yes, I indeed get 14 digits of accuracy.

I will try the MAPS.ME app. Thank you.

Thus far, I have NOT installed any android apps, nor Cobalt's play store.

Thanks for the help and assistance.
    06-17-16 10:28 AM
    THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!

The "maps.me" app is great, very detailed and very helpful. FANTASTIC

I think that the 5 decimal digits of accuracy, would be enough.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN !!!
    06-17-16 10:39 AM
    GPS coordinates, was the app I had installed on my Note 4, and yes, I indeed get 14 digits of accuracy.

I will try the MAPS.ME app. Thank you.

Thus far, I have NOT installed any android apps, nor Cobalt's play store.

Thanks for the help and assistance.
    You could also try experimenting with Glympse from your BBM as well, if your don't want to keep downloading apps. I haven't used it much, but you might be able to extract the coordinates from the Glympse map, maybe even directly from your PC.
    06-17-16 10:43 AM
    What you are asking for is not possible. You cannot get more accurate readings than 3-4 meters (RMS that is) at the very best for civilian use. What you can do is try to correct the readings, but that is a whole other matter. So how accurate readings do you actually need?

The Compass app is not ideal for getting your location - no matter what you do or how good of a signal you have, it will keep showing 3 decimals (the developers didn't think any more decimals were necessary for this specific app).

Now, just download any other app that uses the GPS, for instance MAPS.ME. I get 5 decimals here.

I just downloaded an app called "GPS Coordinates" from the Google Play Store (Cobalt), I get 14 decimals. But do keep in mind, that more decimals does not mean it is more accurate!
    +1

And also to reinforce the point, @GeorgeF_Greece you need to distinguish between accuracy and precision. Your question refers to precision, but you are actually interested in both.

My expectation is the displayed longitude and latitude values reflect the limits of the device accuracy and precision. In other words, just throwing out numbers to make the point, it doesn't make sense to display position out to 12 decimal places if the device is only good to three (or whatever).
    06-17-16 01:31 PM
    I actually need precision/accuracy of about 3 to 4 meters.

My devices (pest traps) are (approximately) 100 meters away from each other. Tomorrow I will try the Maps.me app, just to check if its precision is realistic (the 5 decimal digits provided by "maps.me").

But, according to a rough test (I just run the app within my living room) and I was surprised by the achieved precision.
    Actually it was very accurate and precise.
    06-17-16 02:03 PM
    I actually need precision/accuracy of about 3 to 4 meters.

My devices (pest traps) are (approximately) 100 meters away from each other. Tomorrow I will try the Maps.me app, just to check if its precision is realistic (the 5 decimal digits provided by "maps.me").

But, according to a rough test (I just run the app within my living room) and I was surprised by the achieved precision.
    Actually it was very accurate and precise.
    Not really related to this thread, sorry, but I use Maps.Me for an offline walking map and it works great!
    06-17-16 02:15 PM
    Five decimal places equates to an accuracy of around 1m at the equator down to about half a meter as you move north of 60 degrees N or S. That is a lot to expect from a standard GPS system. I would expect that four decimal places is all that is practically needed since your GPS accuracy will really not be accurate below that. Anything more gives lots of precision but the reality is the actually location can't be defined that far

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 03:05 PM