Walked around my house to find the weakest signal for both Wifi and 4G LTE on my Passport (Crawl Storage Space downstairs) and these are the Passport's ability to hold on to that weak signal.

Had a buddy (electrician) with iPhone 6 come over last week to give me options in where to add a junction box. My phone rang, answered it quickly then hung up to continue on with my buddy's setup plan. After...he grabbed his iP6 to see what his dealer costs would be for the parts and wires. He looks and notices he has NO SIGNAL. He asks me "Your phone rang a few minutes ago, How's your signal down here?" I take out my phone and say 1 bar.

He then asks for my Wifi password since he saw my wireless router upstairs. He then says..."Nope can't find any Wifi down here as well"

What do I do? I open up my browser and give him my Passport so that he can log on to his account and check some prices. Convenience and
    reliability brought to you by Paratek Antenna starting from the Z30 and beyond

Wifi (1 Bar)
    Attachment 352074
    Attachment 352075

Wifi Speedtest (1 Bar)
    Attachment 352076

4G LTE (1 Bar)
    Attachment 352077
    Attachment 352078

4G LTE Speedtest (1 Bar)
    Attachment 352079

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    Last edited by qphone; 05-10-15 at 09:19 AM.
    05-10-15 08:19 AM
    That's pretty decent, I have a massively fluctuating signal where I live, it's constantly flicking between H+, 3G 3dge and sometimes just GSM (Yep the towers are messed up)

Looks my new Z30 will be better

BTW, I've gotta ask, can you post the link to that Signal App please, I had something similar on Symbian, been looking for ages for something like that
    05-10-15 08:32 AM
    That's pretty decent, I have a massively fluctuating signal where I live, it's constantly flicking between H+, 3G 3dge and sometimes just GSM (Yep the towers are messed up)

Looks my new Z30 will be better

BTW, I've gotta ask, can you post the link to that Signal App please, I had something similar on Symbian, been looking for ages for something like that
    No worries. Here's the link from BlackBerry World
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/21867724

Where I play hockey...all the buildings are solid concrete. The dressing rooms (Faraday cage effect) solid concrete as well which I'm sure has lots of rebar which wreaks havoc on signal penetration. When my 1 Bar of 4G LTE drops it will seamlessly go to 5 Full Bars of HSPA+ (H+)

Last edited by qphone; 05-10-15 at 09:41 AM.
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    05-10-15 09:17 AM
    The speed test app is Ookla Speedtest, an android app that you can download from Snap. Be warned that it uses quite a bit of data, but it is among the best. The signal strength app is Signal from BlackBerry World.

Based on my experience, the Paratek antenna on the Z30 is definitely better than the one on the Z10 as I swap the phones frequently. However the signal strength and network traffic from your carrier definitely is the main factor affecting your data speed experience. The antenna can make a difference only at the margin.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 09:37 AM
    I get no signal on my passport at work :S but I blame Tmobile because even their coverage map is barely 2g there. ATT has full 4g coverage, I'm switching this month. I'll miss using harbor mobile service, unlimited music >.>
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    05-10-15 09:56 AM
    You should've really shown him the power of the Passport and setup a hot spot utilising two radios with 1bar and the battery life to support it!

It's super amazing to see this.

Now I'm shine if his battery was low and you had a USB host to connect and charge his iphone.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-10-15 10:04 AM

Where I play hockey...all the buildings are solid concrete. The dressing rooms (Faraday cage effect) solid concrete as well which I'm sure has lots of rebar which wreaks havoc on signal penetration. When my 1 Bar of 4G LTE drops it will seamlessly go to 5 Full Bars of HSPA+ (H+)

Excellent, thanks

Sounds good, my area is pretty open, it's just weird how bad the signal is
    05-10-15 11:10 AM
    You should've really shown him the power of the Passport and setup a hot spot utilising two radios with 1bar and the battery life to support it!

It's super amazing to see this.

Now I'm shine if his battery was low and you had a USB host to connect and charge his iphone.

Damn...should've done that. Oh well, next time

05-10-15 12:02 PM
    You see this is how you get ppl to recognize BB10, show them what it can do, not what it's made of or how said core OS can do all these huge infrastructure things that end users don't use nor can relate to.

It's about showing then what it can do and how well it can do it simplistically in the real world.

05-10-15 01:30 PM
    You see this is how you get ppl to recognize BB10, show them what it can do, not what it's made of or how said core OS can do all these huge infrastructure things that end users don't use nor can relate to.

It's about showing then what it can do and how well it can do it simplistically in the real world.

Since I finally bought my Telus NFC enabled sim to go along with my Passport back on April 8...I tap and pay everywhere. All the baristas (Starbucks or not), clerks, sales people, movie theatres, gas stations are just completely dumbfounded.

Comments range from:
    What?
    How did you do that?
    Cool!
    You did that from your phone?
    Didn't know you can do that on a Blackberry.

Believe me when I tap and pay...the BlackBerry logo on the OEM slim hard shell case always seems to somehow slowly advertise itself around the people waiting in line as I politely ask "if this terminal pay and tap?" (I know that it is) then I methodically place it gently above the terminal.

Then...I say after the confirmation sound and message notification "payment sent!" as I slowly remove my phone and put it back in front left pocket.

The beauty is that I use it everywhere. Pretty much all the clerks say "wow, first time I've ever seen that"

Wish I had a hidden camera to capture my slow and dramatic movements to promote BlackBerry 10 let alone the Passport. Academy Awards here I come...and for the best short clip for dramatic, product placement advertising, goes to...

Okay...time to wake up! Better keep my day job and enjoy life with my wife and kids and my Passport

05-10-15 02:17 PM
    qphone, I love doing that at Tim Horton's with the Timmy's App. People just stop and stare in disbelief and then I just say "Pfft, it's a Blackberry., It does everything."
    05-10-15 02:38 PM
    Had a pretty good experience with the Antenna on my Passport a couple days ago. A big group of us just travelled to Jamaica for a good friend of mines wedding. They had free wifi available in the lobby for 90 minutes daily , however out of about 6 of us sitting poolside (a fair distance from the lobby) a handful of Driods and mixed iPhone 5 & 6's, I was the only one able to connect to the lobby's wifi with 1 to 2 bars. I became the designated poolside instagram poster lol.

There was no blackberry bashing that week , and my phone was referred to as the "Passport".
    Ealaionta and DarkJoker33 like this.
    05-10-15 03:32 PM

A Faraday cage requires no holes larger than 10% of the wavelength of the frequency (afaik). I don�t think it could technically be called a Faraday cage, But you'll certainly be attenuated significantly with thick concrete and rebar.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 03:37 PM
    The speed test app is Ookla Speedtest, an android app that you can download from Snap. Be warned that it uses quite a bit of data, but it is among the best. The signal strength app is Signal from BlackBerry World.

Based on my experience, the Paratek antenna on the Z30 is definitely better than the one on the Z10 as I swap the phones frequently. However the signal strength and network traffic from your carrier definitely is the main factor affecting your data speed experience. The antenna can make a difference only at the margin.

Posted via CB10
    Z10 doesn't have paratek technology. Acquisition came after.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 03:40 PM
    Does the Leap have Paratek?
    05-10-15 03:52 PM
    qphone, I love doing that at Tim Horton's with the Timmy's App. People just stop and stare in disbelief and then I just say "Pfft, it's a Blackberry.,IT DOES EVERYTHING."
    LOL!

Had a pretty good experience with the
    Antenna on my Passport a couple days ago. A big group of us just travelled to Jamaica for a good friend of mines wedding. They had free wifi available in the lobby for 90 minutes daily , however out of about 6 of us sitting poolside (a fair distance from the lobby) a handful of Driods and mixed iPhone 5 & 6's, I was the only one able to connect to the lobby's wifi with 1 to 2 bars. I became the designated poolside instagram poster lol.

There was no blackberry bashing that week , and my phone was referred to as the "Passport".
    Sweet

05-10-15 05:18 PM
    A Faraday cage requires no holes larger than 10% of the wavelength of the frequency (afaik). I don�t think it could technically be called a Faraday cage, But you'll certainly be attenuated significantly with thick concrete and rebar.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah another buddy of mine who's an electrical engineer was trying to explain in layman's terms signal penetration through thick concrete walls and was using Faraday example all while getting ready for our hockey game.

Your 10% is more specific but he did also mention like you about lots of rebar and thick solid concrete walls.

05-10-15 05:25 PM
    Since I finally bought my Telus NFC enabled sim to go along with my Passport back on April 8...I tap and pay everywhere. All the baristas (Starbucks or not), clerks, sales people, movie theatres, gas stations are just completely dumbfounded.

Comments range from:
    What?
    How did you do that?
    Cool!
    You did that from your phone?
    Didn't know you can do that on a Blackberry.

Believe me when I tap and pay...the BlackBerry logo on the OEM slim hard shell case always seems to somehow slowly advertise itself around the people waiting in line as I politely ask "if this terminal pay and tap?" (I know that it is) then I methodically place it gently above the terminal.

Then...I say after the confirmation sound and message notification "payment sent!" as I slowly remove my phone and put it back in front left pocket.

The beauty is that I use it everywhere. Pretty much all the clerks say "wow, first time I've ever seen that"

Wish I had a hidden camera to capture my slow and dramatic movements to promote BlackBerry 10 let alone the Passport. Academy Awards here I come...and for the best short clip for dramatic, product placement advertising, goes to...

Okay...time to wake up! Better keep my day job and enjoy life with my wife and kids and my Passport

Simply awesome!! Strut your thing brah!

To be honest I'm worried this will be short lived due to the recent change and hype with the newer system. Rogers and Bell spent 60 Million for that system and now it's being purchased by one of the procurers and will live as it's own entity ... not sure how the carriers will continue to support it now they'll move off of the secure SIM card. We'll see and I hope not I've never got to try it.
    05-12-15 09:16 PM