I just got a SanDisk 64 GB micro SD card from Best Buy for my Passport for vacation this week. I've never used a high capacity card (I have a generic 4 GB micro SD full of music mounted on this phone at the moment), so I am a little wary and cautious as to what to do.

Do I need to format? As far as I understand, one can just pop a 64 GB card in with no formatting needed, yes? I've looked through the threads, where people formatted their cards on the phone, but it seemed to bring some problems in that their computer couldn't read the card. I use a MacBook Pro from like 2012, so would it be any problem for the card?

Thanks for any words of wisdom this community will bring me!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 08:20 PM
    I suspect their problems stem from them encrypting the card, not formatting it. It's always recommended to format it on the phone. This allows the base directory structure to be laid out, which helps the file manager share with supportive apps.
    03-24-16 08:36 PM
    I always format my micro SD card on my BlackBerry. Insert the card- Go to settings -storage and access-format media card.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 08:43 PM
    Ah, okay. So always format it on the phone? No problems with the computer reading the card after that?

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 08:59 PM
    8 years, over a dozen BlackBerry's, at least a handful of PCs, and never ever a problem. With BB10 setting up a mapped drive for your SD is a breeze, so you can access via Wi-Fi.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-drive-774344/
    03-24-16 09:04 PM
    I have used lots of SD cards in BB10 phones and always just popped them in and used them without formatting them on the phone and never had any problems.

Having said that it can't hurt to format in in the phone.

Currently using a Sandisk 64 GB one.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    03-26-16 10:12 AM
    Same with me. I have popped in my 200gb which is actually a183gb and didn't format. So far it has been working well.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 10:46 AM
    I just got a SanDisk 64 GB micro SD card from Best Buy for my Passport for vacation this week. I've never used a high capacity card (I have a generic 4 GB micro SD full of music mounted on this phone at the moment), so I am a little wary and cautious as to what to do.

Do I need to format? As far as I understand, one can just pop a 64 GB card in with no formatting needed, yes? I've looked through the threads, where people formatted their cards on the phone, but it seemed to bring some problems in that their computer couldn't read the card. I use a MacBook Pro from like 2012, so would it be any problem for the card?

Thanks for any words of wisdom this community will bring me!

Posted via CB10
    Suggestion:
    If you have enough storage space on device, you can copy contents of SD card to Device Memory. Remove old card and replace with new card. Format new card then copy files back from device memory to SD Card.

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    03-26-16 12:41 PM