I received my Passport SE Bundle last week and unlike many others, I did not open it for days. It was not because I was not keen on the phone but because I did not quite know what to do with it. Moreover, I read recently on a forum on CrackBerry that some AT&T stores were having trouble helping people set up service with the Passport SE on their system and that things would be ironed out by September 5th. I cannot seem to locate that thread again.

I am in the Los Angeles area and currently use an old faithful BlackBerry Curve 9330 OS 6.0. It was part of a five-phone family plan through Sprint and the others have since moved on to multiple generations of A**** and Samsung phones. Yes, I am the only hold-out. The others arranged for and set up that plan many years ago with Sprint and I was not involved at all. I was just handed the Curve phone after everything was set up. I do not even know if it has a SIM card in it, etc.

I hardly ever use any data on the Curve. Due to the slowness of the device and the small screen, I do not browse the web and do not use the GPS on the Curve. I basically use it to make and receive phone calls, check emails and for text messaging. However, I plan to use web-browsing and GPS on the Passport. It would probably not be a tremendous amount though, because I have wifi access throughout the day and I generally know my way around. I do not do all that social media stuff. I do not watch movies or Youtube on my phone and I do not expect to stream much music. However, I concede that I may end up doing more of this with the bigger screen Passport and I might as well show off the device by using it more, right?

Since I currently use a BlackBerry phone and have several PlayBooks, I have a BlackBerry ID. I have done some research and I understand that I need a SIM card which I do not yet have and I will need to set up service with either AT&T or T-Mobile if I want one of the major carriers for my Passport. I will need to port my existing telephone number (with Sprint) to one of these carriers if I wish to go the major carrier route. I managed to snag a great deal on a 64 GB Samsung Micro SD card a couple of days ago so I will be adding that to the Passport.

Though I have now unboxed the Passport (it is beautiful), I have not done anything with it. I turned it on once and then turned it off when the prompts came on for set-up. Since I did not have a SIM card and did not have service set up with a carrier, I did not proceed any further with the prompts.

With all this in mind, now what? I have several questions which I need help with and please pardon my ignorance:

1. Can/should I turn it on again and proceed to follow the prompts with the phone using wifi at home even though I do not have a SIM card or service established with a carrier? Or should I just bring the phone into an AT&T or T-Mobile store and let them do everything for me?

2. For my planned/intended usage, should I stick to one of the two major carriers or should I consider the smaller carriers? I understand Straight Talk and Cricket is part of AT&T and Metro PCS is part of T-Mobile. I do not think I would need a lot of GB per month. Would these be more economically feasible?

3. If I were to consider, e.g., Straight Talk, Cricket or Metro PCS, would I lose some functionality of the Passport? I am concerned that maybe these smaller carriers would not be equipped or lack the software to enable all the Passports capabilities/functions.

4. What about coverage area for these smaller carriers like Straight Talk, Cricket and Metro PCS? Is it considerably smaller than for AT&T and T-Mobile?

5. Which carrier would you recommend for tethering? I understand different companies have different policies about this and different charges/fees.

6. What advice/tips would you give me while I am setting things up for the Passport? Everyone wants to avoid the mistakes that others that came before us made, right?

7. Has the problem that AT&T had in setting people up with the Passport SE on their system been taken care of yet?

8. If I have decided on a carrier, e.g., AT&T or T-Mobile, should I purchase that carriers SIM card from say, Target or Walmart or should I just get it at the carriers store? I ask this because I am wondering if there is more I can do with a SIM card inserted to prepare the Passport at home before I bring it into the carriers store to establish service.

I would especially like to hear about the experiences of those of you who are actually using a smaller carrier such as Straight Talk, Cricket or Metro PCS (or any other that works for the Los Angeles area) in response to Question Nos. 2, 3 and 4.

I thank all of you in advance who may offer kind responses to this post.
    09-05-15 04:34 PM
    Wow... This is gonna take a while to answer...
    09-05-15 04:39 PM
    I hardly ever use any data on the Curve. Due to the slowness of the device and the small screen, I do not browse the web and do not use the GPS on the Curve. I basically use it to make and receive phone calls, check emails and for text messaging. However, I plan to use web-browsing and GPS on the Passport. It would probably not be a tremendous amount though, because I have wifi access throughout the day and I generally know my way around. I do not do all that social media stuff. I do not watch movies or Youtube on my phone and I do not expect to stream much music. However, I concede that I may end up doing more of this with the bigger screen Passport and I might as well show off the device by using it more, right?
    You will. New device, new capabilities, new user case scenarios. Also, a Curve runs on BIS, a BB10 runs on any data (and does not benefit from BIS at all. If you have BIS on your line and you're going to move to the SE for good, check if you can't get better data (could be cheaper, WILL be faster).

Since I currently use a BlackBerry phone and have several PlayBooks, I have a BlackBerry ID. I have done some research and I understand that I need a SIM card which I do not yet have and I will need to set up service with either AT&T or T-Mobile if I want one of the major carriers for my Passport. I will need to port my existing telephone number (with Sprint) to one of these carriers if I wish to go the “major carrier” route. I managed to snag a great deal on a 64 GB Samsung Micro SD card a couple of days ago so I will be adding that to the Passport.
    Sure, good idea to add the 64GB SD but what does that have to do with carriers and BBIDs?

Though I have now unboxed the Passport (it is beautiful), I have not done anything with it. I turned it on once and then turned it off when the prompts came on for set-up. Since I did not have a SIM card and did not have service set up with a carrier, I did not proceed any further with the prompts.
    You don't need a SIM card to either finish setup nor use the phone.

1. Can/should I turn it on again and proceed to follow the prompts with the phone using wifi at home even though I do not have a SIM card or service established with a carrier? Or should I just bring the phone into an AT&T or T-Mobile store and let them do everything for me?
    Do the set up. Use the phone. You have WiFi. This is NOT YOUR CURVE. ;p

2. For my planned/intended usage, should I stick to one of the two major carriers or should I consider the smaller carriers? I understand Straight Talk and Cricket is part of AT&T and Metro PCS is part of T-Mobile. I do not think I would need a lot of GB per month. Would these be more economically feasible?
    Use the one with the best coverage of the area you transit around, be it small, medium or huge.
    Signal is your king.

3. If I were to consider, e.g., Straight Talk, Cricket or Metro PCS, would I lose some functionality of the Passport? I am concerned that maybe these smaller carriers would not be equipped or lack the software to enable all the Passport’s capabilities/functions.
    Just pick a carrier already... And consider signal when you do.

4. What about coverage area for these smaller carriers like Straight Talk, Cricket and Metro PCS? Is it considerably smaller than for AT&T and T-Mobile?
    Hehehehhe, we finally got to it. Why google for the info, I bet all carriers have a map of how their network covers each city.

5. Which carrier would you recommend for tethering? I understand different companies have different policies about this and different charges/fees.
    Tethering on BB10? I don't even think it's possible. What is indeed possible is WiFi hotspot creating. So, the carrier with best coverage and biggest data allowance? THIS IS NOT YOUR CURVE!!! lol

6. What advice/tips would you give me while I am setting things up for the Passport? Everyone wants to avoid the mistakes that others that came before us made, right?
    Use the same BBID you have on your MAIN PlayBook and Curve. There is a chance a number of your BBWorld apps from those two devices will be available. It's also a good way to restore BBM Contacts (and you can import a backup from the Curve from BBProtect).

Now, if your BBID is anything using the fake @blackberry.net email CHANGE IT to a real email before you do anything else.

That's pretty much it really.

7. Has the problem that AT&T had in setting people up with the Passport SE on their system been taken care of yet?
    Just gointo the shop with any old android device and get your SIM card, put it on the SE and be on your way - for all they care, it's same difference. So I'll go ahead and say likely yes.

8. If I have decided on a carrier, e.g., AT&T or T-Mobile, should I purchase that carrier’s SIM card from say, Target or Walmart or should I just get it at the carrier’s store? I ask this because I am wondering if there is more I can do with a SIM card inserted to prepare the Passport at home before I bring it into the carrier’s store to establish service.
    Same difference where you get it from, a SIM is a SIM is a SIM. The deals, data allowance, etc though will impact your day to day life. Not the setup. You don't need a SIM for the set up.

I thank all of you in advance who may offer kind responses to this post.
    Dude... Anytime... but what a long post!
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-05-15 04:57 PM
    I'm not from the US so I can't answer your carrier related questions but as for the first question you can setup and use your Passport on WiFi without a SIM card until you get one.

Sign in to it with the BlackBerry ID you already have, your Curve will continue to work as normal.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    sneakygloworm and bb4ty like this.
    09-05-15 04:58 PM
    Just don't activate BBM with your old ID until you're ready to make the switch. It will shift your BBM account to the new device and you won't be able to use it on your Curve (unless you re-associate it with the Curve again.

Posted via CB10
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-05-15 05:41 PM
    Just don't activate BBM with your old ID until you're ready to make the switch. It will shift your BBM account to the new device and you won't be able to use it on your Curve (unless you re-associate it with the Curve again.

Posted via CB10
    You can't activate BBM without a SIM card installed, so it is not something the OP needs to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-05-15 06:40 PM
    I was pretty sure I activated mine when switching from the white to the silver just over WiFi. The white one was still connected to Link on the PC with the SIM card in it.
    I never move the SIM until all my data is transferred.
    I could be wrong. Maybe it let me enter the BBID on BBM but didn't transfer... although I could have sworn I received a couple of BBM's on it before putting in the SIM.

Posted via CB10
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-06-15 04:00 PM
    You can't activate BBM without a SIM card installed, so it is not something the OP needs to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    Yes you can...
    At least i could :s

Posted via CB10
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-06-15 05:39 PM
    You can on BB10, get your facts right.
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-06-15 07:03 PM
    Yeah I thought so.
    Anyway to the OP: if you accidentally activate it, it's easy to open it on the other device and just re-associate it.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and bb4ty like this.
    09-06-15 07:22 PM
    If the original poster is still looking for a carrier, I suggest Straighttalk. I've had good experiences. First, you can pick a sim card up at any walmart stores without dealing with a pushy rep. Second, the plans allow for Hotspot creation (tether). And they are relatively cheap 45$ gives you unlimited talk text and 3GB of data.

That being said, if t-mobile has good coverage in your area, then perhaps go with them.

Posted via CB10
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-08-15 10:33 AM
    I have ATT go mobile and the coverage is great with here in Texas and I go thru some BFE areas and I have not lost a signal.
    I got a go phone plan for $60.00 less $5.00 if paid with CC with 4.5 gig of data with roll over. So its $55.00 a month with great coverage.

Activate your SE and enjoy.
    bb4ty likes this.
    09-08-15 10:46 AM
    Tethering on BB10? I don't even think it's possible. What is indeed possible is WiFi hotspot creating. So, the carrier with best coverage and biggest data allowance? THIS IS NOT YOUR CURVE!!! lol
    You can tether with BB10. Go to "Settings Networks and Connections Internet Tethering".

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 11:34 AM
    I'm sure some of this has been addressed, but I'll proceed with a few answers. First of all, set up the device exactly how you want it PRIOR to getting a SIM card from whatever carrier you choose. I always do this with every new BB10 I get. This makes things a lot easier. When you go to your carrier, pop the SIM card in and you are ready to go. This can all be done over WiFi.

As for BBM, you can use BBM as well with just WiFi, but not on both devices at the same time so I'd wait to log in to BBM until you are officially ready to use the device. Otherwise, set it up, download your apps, restore contacts, etc. I have multiple devices and all are currently logged in to my BBID without issue.

Without CDMA, AT&T is a complete no brainer. It is the best network and coverage you will get excluding Verizon. Depending on the data you use, you will also receive $15-$25 off per month for bringing your own device to AT&T. My AT&T bill with taxes and everything added is about $60 thanks to the BYOD discount as well as an employee discount. Most employers offer discounts for both Verizon and AT&T so it's worth it to check.

I also have the Passport on a 4GB with monthly rollover from AT&T (not pre-paid). You could do AT&T pre-paid, another pre-paid carrier riding off of AT&T or T-Mobile or a pre-paid running off of their network, but there are sacrifices with speed, congestion, etc. I wasn't willing to sacrifice anything coming from Verizon and have been very happy with AT&T since switching because of the GSM only Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 01:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Completely false.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 06:51 AM
    "Just pick a carrier already..." - that's right, Ambassador diegonei. I finally did that yesterday and I wanted to come back in to thank once again all those who responded, even anyone who tried to help but had inaccurate information. The important thing is you tried, and it led others who knew otherwise to come in and set us straight. We all learn something new everyday.

Here's my update:

I decided to go with Cricket Wireless because they are cheap and have the same coverage as AT&T. Whether the service will be the same as AT&T, only time will tell. I understand that it might be slower than AT&T because it supposedly caps its download and upload speeds. Additionally, it does not have tethering/mobile hotspot. I can live with these constraints so I went ahead anyway. I also understand that if you buy one of their phones, tethering/mobile hotspot is allowed but not if you bring your own phone. There is a chance that this may be extended to all phones in the future but I am not holding my breath.

Happy with my purchase so far and had a half hour conversation on the phone this morning and the call came through loud and clear despite the reception indicator showing just less than half of maximum reception. I can only imagine how good the call quality will be when I get in an area with full reception. One thing I will have to get used to is typing on the keyboard. I type with two hands even on my old BlackBerry Curve phone so two-hand typing is not the problem. It just feels the keyboard is located somewhat too low in relation to its overall size but I cannot see how it could be located any higher without reducing the screen size. I am not complaining, as I knew this going in. I just have to use it more and gradually find an ideal typing position for my hands and get used to it.

Since the phone is unlocked and I can easily change carrier, I still welcome comments or suggestions from anyone who may want to share their brilliant ideas/thoughts on carriers or any other issue in my original post.
    09-09-15 06:58 PM
    Here are my thoughts on carrier: T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 06:57 AM