Three (UK) staff are not up to date with blackberry affairs and so if i wasnt so aware I would get charged an extra �5 a month on contract.. Not good for potential customers...

So the story begins...
    So I wanted a Blackberry Passport but none of the Carphonewarehouse stores had them within my radius so I had them deliver it to the store. I went in today and picked it up . I then went to Three (uk) to set up a contract with the Passport and the woman informed me I needed to pay an additioanl �5 for Blackberry services, to which I corrected her that Blackberry dont use BIS with OS10 and she said something like 'oh shows how much im unaware'... She then asked me if I could see the device as shed never seen one but I hadnt opened the box yet so couldnt show her. I got the contract and toke the phone home and installed SNAP with ease. Man is the Passport a beauty even if it is wideish.This is my first experience with OS10 and im loving it, (ive been on a blackberry torch 9800, aka bbos 6 for 3 years).
    The only issue I have is I get an annoying pop up when I use Snapchat, sideloaded from SNAP, as it gives me a warning telling me I need to use google services for it too work but I just click and it goes and use it. Anyone else had this??
    Andy_bb_king and mkiiw like this.
    01-05-15 09:48 AM
    Standard issue.
    A lot of android apps do/will have this "problem". Most apps work regardless. Just has to do BB not allowing google services to run on your device. If you run a search in CB forums, you can put GS onto your phone, but completely unnecessary.
    I just click past whenever I load snapchat.
    01-05-15 09:59 AM
    I was aware off conflicts with Android apps before I bough the phone. When I try to send an image through snapchat Its just a blank black pic sent to the person so would I need to find the workaround for google services to get it to work?
    01-05-15 10:01 AM
    Standard issue.
    A lot of android apps do/will have this "problem". Most apps work regardless. Just has to do BB not allowing google services to run on your device. If you run a search in CB forums, you can put GS onto your phone, but completely unnecessary.
    I just click past whenever I load snapchat.
    It's just the opposite. It's Google not allowing it. Not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    dslocumb likes this.
    01-05-15 10:05 AM
    Use Snap10. It's a native snapchat client

Posted via CB10
    hasa77 likes this.
    01-05-15 10:07 AM
    Alright, thanks
    01-05-15 10:15 AM
    Why didn't you just open the phone and let the lady check it out?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 02:13 PM
    Why didn't you just open the phone and let the lady check it out?
    Maybe he's planning to get it working with SnapChat and then return to demonstrate it?
    01-05-15 02:24 PM
    It's just the opposite. It's Google not allowing it. Not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    It is BlackBerry. They have a stub in place of Google Play Services

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:06 PM
    Although u wont get it, I like to do an offical ceramony of opening it at home and get it covered up with protection haha. Ill go in soon hopefully and show her, got snap downloaded and everything sorted so this way she can see the full power
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-05-15 03:41 PM
    Maybe there's a stub in place because Google Play Services doesn't work properly, i.e. 100%?
    01-05-15 05:05 PM
    If you search the forum, you'll find the info from Cobalt 232 on how to install Google play services. I've done it and it works well.

Posted via CB10
    hasa77 likes this.
    01-05-15 05:43 PM
    Maybe there's a stub in place because Google Play Services doesn't work properly, i.e. 100%?
    It's the stub that stops it from working 100%...

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, it's Google. It's part of the licensing of Android. Sure, the OS is open but Google has a lot of stuff on top that BlackBerry can't install.

If I am wrong someone explain it to me. It should be the same issue as the Kindle.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:00 PM
    , to which I corrected her that Blackberry dont use BIS with OS10
    Not true. I have a Q10, Z30, Z10, and Classic on a company account and all are on a BlackBerry BIS plan from Rogers in Canada. I don't think it applies to the email but definitely for data. Try as we might between 4 phones we've never been able to go over 1 gig of data. That's less than 250 MB each for the month.

My bill actually says BlackBerry BIS on it.

Tim

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:10 PM
    Not true. I have a Q10, Z30, Z10, and Classic on a company account and all are on a BlackBerry BIS plan from Rogers in Canada. I don't think it applies to the email but definitely for data. Try as we might between 4 phones we've never been able to go over 1 gig of data. That's less than 250 MB each for the month.

Tim

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure it's BIS and not BES?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:39 PM

Tim
    Seems like you're being overcharged. I've been using a Z10, then Q10, and now Z30 on T-Mobile USA with a standard plan, non-BIS. You don't need BIS to use BB10 phones.
    01-05-15 06:41 PM
    Maybe he's planning to get it working with SnapChat and then return to demonstrate it?
    Highly unlikely ?
    01-06-15 04:24 AM
    Highly unlikely ?
    Im gonna take it in to show her soon, I needed to get it all set up before showing her anyway
    01-06-15 06:21 AM
    Im gonna take it in to show her soon, I needed to get it all set up before showing her anyway
    I stand corrected
    01-06-15 01:20 PM
    Kids Google's play APIs are proprietary. Meaning no one running android can use them.
    Android is an open source platform used extensively by multiple vendors. One of them being Blackberry and Google.
    The only reason why BlackBerry is able to emulate android apps is because it's open source nature allowed emulation.
    Now Google Play Services are dependences built by Google to try and lock android and maintain monopoly in the market.
    It is sold to developers as an easy to integrate solution for localized and secure android libraries.
    When in reality it is a way to lock apps into Google only platform.
    Comprende?

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    01-06-15 04:46 PM
    Are you sure it's BIS and not BES?

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Says so right on the bill. I tried to attach a picture of it using the CB10 app and my passport but it doesn't let me for some reason.

Seems like you're being overcharged. I've been using a Z10, then Q10, and now Z30 on T-Mobile USA with a standard plan, non-BIS. You don't need BIS to use BB10 phones.
    Not charged at all. It's the same price as all the other plans however it is strictly for BlackBerry phones. You're right, I don't need a BlackBerry BIS plan but the data usage is a massive plus. The data compression realy makes a difference.

Tim

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 09:46 PM
    Three (UK) staff are not up to date with blackberry affairs and so if i wasnt so aware I would get charged an extra �5 a month on contract.. Not good for potential customers...

So the story begins...
    So I wanted a Blackberry Passport but none of the Carphonewarehouse stores had them within my radius so I had them deliver it to the store. I went in today and picked it up . I then went to Three (uk) to set up a contract with the Passport and the woman informed me I needed to pay an additioanl �5 for Blackberry services, to which I corrected her that Blackberry dont use BIS with OS10 and she said something like 'oh shows how much im unaware'... She then asked me if I could see the device as shed never seen one but I hadnt opened the box yet so couldnt show her. I got the contract and toke the phone home and installed SNAP with ease. Man is the Passport a beauty even if it is wideish.This is my first experience with OS10 and im loving it, (ive been on a blackberry torch 9800, aka bbos 6 for 3 years).
    The only issue I have is I get an annoying pop up when I use Snapchat, sideloaded from SNAP, as it gives me a warning telling me I need to use google services for it too work but I just click and it goes and use it. Anyone else had this??
    01-07-15 05:05 AM
    I also have a BlackBerry Passport. I have had the phone replaced after one month. Now the replacement is starting to freeze up. It's impossible to operate the phone at all. If I leave the phone unattended the phone start to reboot on its own. Also the BB10.3 is suppose to come preloaded, with Netflix and Instagram. I don't have those two apps on my phone. Have anyone had any of these problems.
    01-07-15 05:22 AM
    Yup. Says so right on the bill. I tried to attach a picture of it using the CB10 app and my passport but it doesn't let me for some reason.

Not charged at all. It's the same price as all the other plans however it is strictly for BlackBerry phones. You're right, I don't need a BlackBerry BIS plan but the data usage is a massive plus. The data compression realy makes a difference.

Tim

Posted via CB10
    I hope you know there's no data compression support in any of the bb10 devices

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    01-07-15 05:23 AM
30 12