Well folks, for the second time I have a Passport incapable of connecting to a cell network and displaying the dreaded "Emergency Calls Only" message. This is my second Passport with this issue and at that time (3 years ago), it was unsolvable. I now have two Passport devices that look fairly new but only good for paperweights.

Has anything been done since then to either identify or resolve this issue ?

EchoTango
    11-20-20 11:36 AM
    Has anything been done since then to either identify or resolve this issue ?
    If you haven't seen this: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...d-1186350/?_ga check it out now. As far as we know this is the answer.
    jamescarruthers likes this.
    11-20-20 02:07 PM
    And let us know if it works...
    11-20-20 02:32 PM
    The instructions are no quite clear enough to act on and I've asked the OP to provide more granular details.

I'll keep everyone informed on the progress.
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-20-20 03:30 PM
    Hi All :

After some soul searching I'm leaning towards "throwing in the towel" on the Passport as attempting to resurrect a 7-year old device with an unproven fix doesn't seem to make much sense.

I like the Passport as a form factor but the device is slowly losing functionality and cannot take advantage of new features which are common place with most other device users. The PP browser is slowly being denied access to websites with "network errors" or "security certificate" violations making it virtually impossible to use. BB10 is also stated to go obsolete in 2021 which doesn't mean much other than Blackberry Inc. will no longer intercede if BB10 devices are hard gated from popular sites. Adding insult to injury, with 5G coming soon functionalities will be available for which the PP is incapable and never will be able to provide.

The fix that apparently will resolve the "emergency calls only" error doesn't seem to have been widely adopted beyond the original tech who created the modification, probably because there's so few devices being used as a daily driver. I suspect approaching any relatively reputable repair place to remove components from the phone's main board will engender a negative or performed at your own risk response which means if when reassembled it starts smoking, too bad so sad. Also, I doubt the cost would be less than $100+ from anyone who would even touch it. If there were a few folks who had indicated a success using this repair, it might have changed my perspective. Unfortunately no one has reported this fact.

Like many former Blackberry device owners on this site, I think I've come to the "flogging the dead horse" conclusion and moving on seems to be the best course of action for the long term. Sadly another Blackberry customer will be forced to leave.
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-23-20 12:31 PM
    Hi All :

After some soul searching I'm leaning towards "throwing in the towel" on the Passport as attempting to resurrect a 7-year old device with an unproven fix doesn't seem to make much sense.

I like the Passport as a form factor but the device is slowly losing functionality and cannot take advantage of new features which are common place with most other device users. The PP browser is slowly being denied access to websites with "network errors" or "security certificate" violations making it virtually impossible to use. BB10 is also stated to go obsolete in 2021 which doesn't mean much other than Blackberry Inc. will no longer intercede if BB10 devices are hard gated from popular sites. Adding insult to injury, with 5G coming soon functionalities will be available for which the PP is incapable and never will be able to provide.

The fix that apparently will resolve the "emergency calls only" error doesn't seem to have been widely adopted beyond the original tech who created the modification, probably because there's so few devices being used as a daily driver. I suspect approaching any relatively reputable repair place to remove components from the phone's main board will engender a negative or performed at your own risk response which means if when reassembled it starts smoking, too bad so sad. Also, I doubt the cost would be less than $100+ from anyone who would even touch it. If there were a few folks who had indicated a success using this repair, it might have changed my perspective. Unfortunately no one has reported this fact.

Like many former Blackberry device owners on this site, I think I've come to the "flogging the dead horse" conclusion and moving on seems to be the best course of action for the long term. Sadly another Blackberry customer will be forced to leave.
    That seems like a fair assessment of your situation, it isn’t worth spending any money on an EOL phone in the hope it might work in it’s already limited fashion when said money is gone in my opinion.

If you must have a BlackBerry 10 phone probability best to buy a good second hand one cheaply.

A better alternative of course would be to invest in a new phone on a supported platform in my view.
    11-23-20 12:45 PM
    That seems like a fair assessment of your situation, it isn’t worth spending any money on an EOL phone in the hope it might work in it’s already limited fashion when said money is gone in my opinion.

If you must have a BlackBerry 10 phone probability best to buy a good second hand one cheaply.

A better alternative of course would be to invest in a new phone on a supported platform in my view.
    Thing is how cheaply can you get a Passport....
    11-23-20 03:25 PM
    Ordered an S20....jumping right to 5G.

I'm looking forward to having a fully functional communication device for the first time in quite a while.

11-23-20 06:44 PM
    OMFG how did I not know about this!? I've been on here for years and had the Passport apart a few times for battery and USB port repair. Passport died with this fault earlier this year and i was forced to replace it with the FxTec Pro 1.

I might see about getting the Passport repaired now. Thanks very very much!
    Yesterday 02:40 AM
    Thing is how cheaply can you get a Passport....
    I think that depends on where you live, it also assumes you don’t want an SE!
    Yesterday 09:25 AM
    I think that depends on where you live, it also assumes you don’t want an SE!
    I just bought and SE, a Classic, Playbook and Swag for $100 USD and sold the swag.
    mh1983 likes this.
    Yesterday 05:49 PM
    I just bought and SE, a Classic, Playbook and Swag for $100 USD and sold the swag.
    Ooo, I always like a bit of swag, especially when its so cheap!

Joking apart that sounds like a pretty good deal!
    Today 04:41 AM