05-18-15 12:57 AM
33 12
tools
    I just ported my GV number away from google. I couldn't deal with the terrible html5 app anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Trying to decide if I want to do this. My main number has been my GV number for a long time. How was the porting experience? Were you in limbo for a few days without the ability to receive messages and what not?

Being able to text and call with just a WiFi connection across all my devices is what I like the most about GV/Hangouts. You happy with Blend?
    Last edited by Poi25; 03-23-15 at 04:05 PM.
    03-23-15 03:31 PM
    The porting experience was fine. I used the link below as a guide. The only issue I had was that my voice calls ported over a couple of hours before sms. I didn't lose anything though as GV was still receiving the texts. I was worried something had screwed up but it seemed to fix itself ok.

I'm glad I moved. It's much easier to call people using the phones native tools rather than the GV interface.

Edit : I can't post links it seems. Do a Google search for "porting out of google voice" and then look for a domain called matthewseeley dot net.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:40 PM
    Great info on this thread. I just upgraded my Q10 to a Passport but I am still trying to figure out how to use Google Voice now that the html5 app is no longer an option. To those who say they use the Android app for messages, I honestly don't know how you are doing that, I cannot log in to my account.

The one thing not mentioned here so far is the ability to receive and place SMS messages as emails, I am in the process of finding out the best way to handle those but at least I see the incoming messages with some sort of notification alert.

But I will be honest, is not looking pretty, I much rather continue to use my GV number from Google via Android or iOS than port it to a regular carrier, it is just too convenient to be able to text and receive calls even when I don't physically not have my cell with me at work.
    Last edited by VVoltz; 04-05-15 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typos
    04-05-15 08:40 PM
    But I will be honest, is not looking pretty, I much rather continue to use my GV number from Google via Android or iOS than port it to a regular carrier, it is just too convenient to be able to text and receive calls even when I don't physically not have my cell with me at work.
    I was a Google Voice user for years. That was absolutely the best feature, being able to seamlessly text across all devices including my PC and make calls without a cellular connection. With that said, if you're going to take the dive into BB, just port out. I tried to make it work but it got too hacky and was getting annoying. If Google Voice is something you're not willing to budge on, don't leave Android.

Blend is nowhere near as good (IMO) than the hangouts integration within Chrome browser using extensions. It'll work for text, but you can't send MMS (unless I'm missing something).
    VVoltz likes this.
    04-05-15 09:59 PM
    I use an iPhone as my primary device and for some reason Google still has not pulled the support third party apps yet so I am still able to use it. I don't send nor receive MMS for that reason.

I will probably port my number out if Google decides to stop supporting iOS thou.
    04-06-15 08:45 PM
    This is exactly I am looking for. I use Google Voice number for Biz. I need to make calls out using GV number but I can not. This qgvdial app is very good. I have sent the developer many emails asking him that is there is any way to make app use for making outgoing calls eg. like android, that when we want to make a call we should get a prompt that if we want to make this call via qgvdial app? I have not heard from the developer, ever about this.
    04-17-15 11:14 PM
    Ok, so I just thought I would try again. The dialer comes up on the google.com/voice page!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 09:24 AM
    The HTML5 app is working for me again in the BlackBerry browser. The following URL forces it, too:

https://www.google.com/voice/m?uipref=1#~voice

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 12:57 AM
33 12