From time to time the Google PlayStore pops up but giving just a plain black screen, I have removed all notifications of update from PlayStore apps but won't make a difference. I know I have two apps that according to PlayStore need updating but I ignore this as I want to keep them on BlackBerry world (Viber especially otherwise it'll stop working on my phone, I've tried it before), but in any case having removed notifications it shouldn't bother me like this, let alone with a black screen. Anyone has this too?
    01-09-16 10:23 AM
    You're using Cobalt's latest build? v6.0.0?
    01-09-16 10:36 AM
    I just checked, I'm using 5.9.12, what's the optimal way to update it then on a regular basis?
    01-09-16 10:41 AM
    I just checked, I'm using 5.9.12, what's the optimal way to update it then on a regular basis?
    Known bug with that version.

Just check back often. Cobalt has updated most of his apps since then.
    01-09-16 10:48 AM
    I switched to snap because the bbid and playstore apps would keep running in background not sure if you would switch or not but it is a "fix"
    01-09-16 04:30 PM
    I switched to snap because the bbid and playstore apps would keep running in background not sure if you would switch or not but it is a "fix"
    They use such little power you don't even notice half the time.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:37 PM
    They use little no almost no power or cpu cycles, and the only reason they do is to periodically check for app updates and notify you of such.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 06:12 PM
    i dont close it because of power comsumption... i closed app, i expect it to close. like i leave house, i expect that i close door as i leave.

for me, an os should not keep things open if the operator intentionally closes it. i pressed the x button, i want it closed and gone until i open it again.

if i want to see updates, i will manually open and check. i do this with email too. i could care less "when" i get the email. i only care when i get around to checking it. i do not need the phone to remind me, it is the other way around. i use the phone, not the phone using me to check emails from other people. i expect the phone to be a tool that is on standby until i use it, like my hammer or car. they are not operating in background pestering me to use it

really what good is getting notified of email while you are driving or in the restroom? you arent going to read and respond while doing something else, and like hell am i going to stop to do it. i will check email when i get the time to do it.. i feel this way about update notifications, i check once a month or two and it is good enough. why spend more time? and if notifed, i may not even update it until a month later because i dont want update. so why should i care to get notification?

phone calls are only "on demand" things i will answer right away because those might be emergencies, emails are not. they are meant to be read at a convient time

sorry went on tangent there... i just want the app to close, i see no reason for it to run in background. power savings or not.
    Last edited by eyeb; 01-10-16 at 07:58 AM.
    01-10-16 07:46 AM
    You don't seem to understand the principles of the Android runtime. Play Store doesn't run in the background. It is setting an alarm trigger in the android runtime and then it get waken up by the runtime. It then does some tasks, sets a new trigger and then completely closes again.

And for your problem, you simply are using an old version that tried to updated Google Play Services with a trigger once in a while. This has been fixed in Play Store 6.0.0. So just download the latest files, remove the old ones from your device and install the new ones. That's it.
    01-10-16 09:52 AM