So as I thought it comes down to money. Google does make exceptions to that other stuff about OHA and Android being the base system as evidenced with their relationship with Apple. But I believe BB would not only have to pay, but agree to make Google services very prominent on their devices and perhaps move all BB apps to the Google store.

There's another thread about closing the app gap, here's one way, partner with Google... Perhaps have an Enterprise OS with no Google and a Consumer OS that is Google laden to their satisfaction... Partnering with Google would let BB focus on hardware and it's security business while Google would do the heavy lifting for the third party app. And having Google native to BB would make it attractive to a much larger market.
    And that sticky as linked in a previous post has several bits of misinformation in it as well. Circles back on itself as well. $$$ talks, period
    05-22-15 09:56 PM
    And that sticky as linked in a previous post has several bits of misinformation in it as well. Circles back on itself as well. $$$ talks, period
    Google's profits per quarter are more than BlackBerry's entire cash reserve. BlackBerry couldn't buy them breakfast. BlackBerry's tiny user base would be of little interest to them either.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Last edited by conite; 05-23-15 at 05:00 AM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-22-15 10:02 PM
    Cool, I'm on 5.5.8 but I'm working ok, do I really need to update?
    No major changes in 5.5.12, just a version bump. You can read post 2 in my Play Store thread to see the full version history. From that you can decide, if an update would be suitable for you.
    05-23-15 02:42 AM
    Google's profits per quarter are more than BlackBerry's entire cash reserve. BlackBerry couldn't buy them breakfast. BlackBerry's tiny user base would be of little interest to them either.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    First off, I am 100% positive that BlackBerry could buy Google some breakfast. And I am sure Google would love it.

Secondly, a for-profit publicly traded company that makes its money off of ad revenue would absolutely love to add another 20+ million sources. Especially with statistics showing the BlackBerry users actually spend money.

To your first point, isn't that what I said..."$$$ talks, period"...

It is still a garbage sticky with misinformation and opinion.
    Soapm likes this.
    05-23-15 05:48 AM
    Thanks Cobalt232!

Download the 3 files listed below to your Blackberry device by clicking on the download links. Then install and run the files in the described order.

Step 1: Add a Google system account to your device
    Install com.google.android.gsf.login. Run the app and login with your Google credentials. The app will close (minimize) if the step completed successfully.

Step 2: Register your device with Google Play
    Install cobalt.blackberry.androidID. Run the app and register your device with Google Play. Close the app after successfull registration.

Step 3: Install Google Play Store
    Install com.android.vending. Run and enjoy the Play Store!

Met with an error stating i dont have enough storage face when performing step 1, any one can help?

Well, do you have enough storage to install the app? Did you allow installation of 3rd party apps in Blackgerry settings?
    05-23-15 07:24 AM
    Why won't Google services run? Is it BB won't pay a fee? Why isn't Google native with the Android environment?
    Put simply, they'd have to drop BlackBerry 10 and make an Android phone, not a BlackBerry 10 phone with an Android runtime.

Same reason Fire OS devices can't directly access the play store either. They're a forked Android.
    05-23-15 07:53 AM
    Put simply, they'd have to drop BlackBerry 10 and make an Android phone, not a BlackBerry 10 phone with an Android runtime.

Same reason Fire OS devices can't directly access the play store either. They're a forked Android.
    Perhaps, but maybe not... OS devices don't have play services because Apple wouldn't relinquish all of its OS to Google since it would compete against iPay etc... Remember, Apple has iCloud etc... that they want their devoted users to use exclusively...

A BB consumer device could still run QNX but indwelt with Google services at the same time. Google makes its money from ads and another 20 million users can't hurt... AND, if Google got in the game they might make native BB apps instead of having us use the Android runtime.
    05-23-15 10:36 AM
    Perhaps, but maybe not... OS devices don't have play services because Apple wouldn't relinquish all of its OS to Google since it would compete against iPay etc... Remember, Apple has iCloud etc... that they want their devoted users to use exclusively...

A BB consumer device could still run QNX but indwelt with Google services at the same time. Google makes its money from ads and another 20 million users can't hurt... AND, if Google got in the game they might make native BB apps instead of having us use the Android runtime.
    If Google thought there was even a penny to be made by developing native Google apps for BlackBerry (as they did for Apple) , they would have done it already.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-23-15 10:55 AM
    If Google thought there was even a penny to be made by developing native Google apps for BlackBerry (as they did for Apple) , they would have done it already.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    That's the difference between being AN app on BB devices and being the EXCLUSIVE app on BB devices. This is why BB would have to bow and kiss the kings ring.
    05-23-15 11:18 AM
    Well, do you have enough storage to install the app? Did you allow installation of 3rd party apps in Blackgerry settings?
    Hi Cobalt, yes, apparently this is working fine now after a few reboots.

Thanks!
    05-23-15 12:01 PM
    Why would I want Google stealing my data and recording everything I do for THEIR profit? No!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:12 PM
    Why would I want Google stealing my data and recording everything I do for THEIR profit? No!

Posted via CB10
    So you would chose the Enterprise version of the BB. The version Enterprise and Government can lock down via policy etc... You would be in the slim minority happy with a pure QNX system but most people I know are Google from head to toe... Especially once they move over to Chrome...
    05-23-15 12:16 PM
    I have Google Play services on my phone (Passport). Cobalt's instructions are pretty straightforward even if the links aren't always good.

But GPServices and Android Apps can eat your battery. Who needs em...

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport
    05-23-15 12:27 PM
    I have Google Play services on my phone (Passport). Cobalt's instructions are pretty straightforward even if the links aren't always good.
    That's my point, I think most of us have Google services loaded. But why bootleg Google when it can be loaded native and advertising it's seamless Google integration along with Android capability might make BB desired by more consumers...

A good example, I want tap and pay to work on my phone but it seems Google Wallet is the only way in the US so far. Apples iPay doesn't do tap and pay at this time so it would make BB cutting edge if we could get tap and pay to work. BB was first to make NFC standard on it's phones, but what good is it without an app to make it useful?
    05-23-15 12:42 PM
    I have Google Play services on my phone (Passport).
    No, you don't. Cobalt's work-arounds help remove certain Google Play Services dependencies and error messages, but it doesn't give you Google Play Services. That's why Google Now, Google+, Android Wear, and many other Google apps won't work on BB, even with Cobalt's stuff in place.

Google Play Services ARE Google's primarily leverage over Android, and is responsible for Google's control (to some degree) over 1.5 BILLION devices and their agreements with over 200 OEMs. If you think Google is going to risk all that to acquire some percentage of BB10's 10M devices, then you simply aren't thinking straight. If Google gave BB a pass then they would likely be sued by dozens of Android OEMs who are OHA members, plus the OHA would likely fall apart. There's simply no way Google would do that - it makes zero sense.

As mentioned, yes, Google has written Google apps for iOS, both because iOS is the second-biggest ecosystem (and was the biggest when they first started writing those apps), but also because iOS occupies the high-end of the market, so iOS customers can afford to spend money. In the US, iOS has nearly half the market, for example.

Google could easily write BB10 apps to bring the Google experience to BB10 (without changing or violating the OHA), but BB10 simply doesn't have enough marketshare to make it worth the effort. Neither does WinPhone, despite having about 10 times BB10's marketshare, so it isn't a BB-specific issue (they don't make Google apps for Tizen, Ubuntu Phone, Sailfish, etc. either).
    conite likes this.
    05-23-15 12:55 PM
    Google could easily write BB10 apps to bring the Google experience to BB10 (without changing or violating the OHA), but BB10 simply doesn't have enough marketshare to make it worth the effort. Neither does WinPhone, despite having about 10 times BB10's marketshare, so it isn't a BB-specific issue (they don't make Google apps for Tizen, Ubuntu Phone, Sailfish, etc. either).
    This is why BB needs to bow before the king and kiss his ring...

The part that would violate the OHA is grating full access to Android apps via their store. They currently turn a blind eye while we bootleg some via Cobalt's magic because they gladly accept our money but if BB could get full access, and be able to advertise BB has full access, it could sure boost BB sales...
    05-23-15 01:04 PM
    This is why BB needs to bow before the king and kiss his ring...

The part that would violate the OHA is grating full access to Android apps via their store. They currently turn a blind eye while we bootleg some via Cobalt's magic because they gladly accept our money but if BB could get full access, and be able to advertise BB has full access, it could sure boost BB sales...
    Just plain no.

There is no real world mechanism to implement what you are saying.

If BlackBerry does not switch to Android OS, Google has to either ignore the OHA (which they absolutely will not), or develop native apps for BB10 (which they absolutely will not). Period. Full Stop.

Google turns a "blind-eye" because they can, as this hack is not sanctioned by BlackBerry, and therefore no member of the OHA has a case against anyone.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Troy Tiscareno and Soulstream like this.
    05-23-15 01:14 PM
    Unless Google bought BB. That's a rumor I just started.
    05-23-15 04:11 PM
    If your oppinion is that installing 3 apk file directly from a downloadlink is such much more complicated than using a PC, a USB cable and additonal software to sideload snap, then I can't change that. The 3 files are required because the Android runtime simply LACKS some essential components to run the Play Store.
    I think you misunderstood.

I never said anything about any process being complicated, and made no mention of the process of installing either app. I said that the app was too much of a hassle.....then I specifically described why. (The endless warnings from a previously installed app).

The notifications of Play Store can simply be turned off this way:

Run Blackberry Google ID
    Go to options menu in top right, choose Android Settings
    Go to Apps, then Google Maps and then unselect the notifications

This works for any app, btw.
    Thanks.

Play Store is not known to suck battery. I don't know what evidence you have that it does. .
    I have a phone that suddenly lost battery at a higher rate and a gauge that told me why.

I
    You can go to Blackberry Settings -> App Manager -> Battery -> Google Play and make a screenshot of the battery usage of the Play Store. It will hardly be higher than 0.xx percent (unless your run it 7x27).
    And yet..........it was.

If you install all Play Store components, you additonally get your starred places in Google Maps and you'll have the favorites sync feature in Google Chrome. Just to be said.

But anyway. Feel free to use the what serves you most.
    Ok, so I guess the short answer to my simple question is that installing the play store gives me the advantage of having my starred places in google maps.

Was there anything else? I'm willing to try it again and see if battery life is OK.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 05-24-15 at 10:08 AM.
    05-24-15 09:02 AM
    I'm perfectly happy letting Google kiss my **** and much happier with that than BlackBerry kissing their ring. IF you want all that Google crap that bad, buy an android. I'm not saying that to be nasty, I'm just pointing out that many of us have a BlackBerry so we DON'T have to have Google into everything we do. If I need an android app for something I will always get it from amazon first if I can just to not use Google.

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV likes this.
    05-24-15 09:12 AM
    Ok, so I guess the short answer to my simple question is that installing the play store gives me the advantage of having my starred places in google maps.

Was there anything else? I'm willing to try it again and see if battery life is OK.
    Great. The main advantage of Play Store is that you can actually purchase apps and content directly from your device. So you can buy gems in COC or you can buy a paid subscription for your weather app.

Also, you have full access to Google Play Music, Google Books and Google Movies.

Hope that helps.
    05-24-15 10:25 AM
    I'm perfectly happy letting Google kiss my **** and much happier with that than BlackBerry kissing their ring. IF you want all that Google crap that bad, buy an android. I'm not saying that to be nasty, I'm just pointing out that many of us have a BlackBerry so we DON'T have to have Google into everything we do. If I need an android app for something I will always get it from amazon first if I can just to not use Google.
    I'm curious, what do you use for search? Bing? Did you also check all your browsers so that the default search isn't Google? What happens when you encounter a YouTube video on a page that you visit? Or when someone sends you a YouTube link? Do you simply not watch it?
    05-24-15 10:30 AM
    Great. The main advantage of Play Store is that you can actually purchase apps and content directly from your device. So you can buy gems in COC or you can buy a paid subscription for your weather app.

Also, you have full access to Google Play Music, Google Books and Google Movies.

Hope that helps.
    Yes, thanks. I've re installed and turned off that maps notification that never ended. Going to monitor battery very closely.
    05-24-15 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    All of us who installed Cobalt's fix agree with you also...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 10:55 AM
    All of us who installed Cobalt's fix agree with you also...

Posted via CB10
    I agree too.

A wise user said BlackBerry exists for productivity and communications and Android exists to hoover your personal information. Google Play services is a keystone of the latter.

I did cobalt's hack. It worked good. I deleted it.

Just today I made sport of finding out what info Google had on me from my Android phone. The usual Web history, device connection, location history. I deleted all of it. Then I found something really interesting... my voice. Yeah, when I asked for something in Google now or used the voice keyboard, it recorded all of my searches and messages, and my recorded voice. Going WAY back. Think on that. What's next? Urine samples?! Deleted that stuff too, despite all of the warnings that Google needs to know what I am saying, who I know, what my schedule is, what I am interested in, what I buy, what I am thinking, and where I am in order to function properly. Oh, Google needs to know what I search for, and then separately what I watch, on youtube. Deleted.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the information just naturally collected by Google tells quite a bit about a person... maybe even more than a spouse or parent would know.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport
    12-01-15 09:44 PM
53 123