I have noticed a difference in performance without Google playstore. The question I had to ask myself is, do I need Google? Yes BlackBerry is behind when it comes to apps, but does anybody need all those apps, I mean really? I think even if the updates are few and far between, you only fix what's broke, and blackberry os is smooth, in my opinion, and meant for adults who are not tied to their phones, or apps.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    08-19-16 09:02 PM
    I just counted 7 apps that I absolutely need for work that's not even counting the pre installed apps that allow me to do my job away from the computer.

 Passport SQW100-1/ 10.3.1.2876, Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576, Classic SQC100-4/ 10.3.2.2836 
    08-19-16 09:22 PM
    I don't notice a performance difference but I always ran a couple of android apps since my first bb10. Apps are the future. You can't tap and go from a banking website. Can you imagine standing in queue at the bank to withdraw money from your wage? That's life without apps. My passport is slowy become a feature phone compared to what android and ios can do. I love bb10 and this form factor. But without android apps I think most people on here would not use this phone. Nowdays a phone is an app platform and what the apps will be able to do in the future is limitless.
    Bb10 user interface is nice and swiping is nice but once you open an app all that refinement is gone.
    So BlackBerry 10 is the hot paraplegic and android is an average looking hooker. Which one will get the job done? Hehe BlackBerry does not get things done anymore, well not counting priv and dtek.

BlackBerry 10 is becoming a kids phone, something to call mummy and daddy on when they are late.

I love my passport for its form factor, ui and battery but I don't kid myself about how it's a tool not a toy.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 09:42 PM
    Google or blackberry apps, or both?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 09:43 PM
    I'm just stating what I have noticed, I have been on android and ios, with its flagship phones, and for me, I don't need 90 percent of the apps on either platform. Android is notorious for memory leaks, and apps that restart after you close them, and that is one reason 7.0 is around the corner to help with background optimization and with android nougat it's a lot better, but everyone is chasing the next great phone, the next update and apps that can keep people staring at a screen, and keep them from having face to face communication. Have you ever been in a room full of people looking at their phones? I see it everywhere. At the end of the day, it's still a phone, it has its place, but even a two year old phone is more than enough for a simple life

Posted via CB10
    Dziadek likes this.
    08-19-16 10:03 PM
    Or Games. People waste so much of there life on games.

Posted via CB10
    BarefootBerry likes this.
    08-19-16 10:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pokemon Go.......
    08-19-16 10:25 PM
    I agree with you OP. Here's what I posted on another thread, i'm copy -pasting it here:

I have been using cobalt's solution for a long time, first on my z10 and now the passport. I wiped my z10 when I got the passport and installed only the BB10 apps and use it as a backup device.

I noticed that without cobalt's solution and any other android apps, my 3 year old Z10 felt so buttery smooth and fast. So I decided to do the same on my passport and give up the on the android apps that I used (about 10-12) and find alternatives on blackberry world.

So for a few of them I now use the web versions, which works great. For others I found better alternatives on BlackBerry world and few others I decided to delete just because I rarely used them. And finally, I deleted cobalt's apps.

From what I have observed, I have better battery life, better performance, and the hub notifications get pushed faster and also for some reason, wifi connectivity is a bit better at places I always lost the connection.

I won't be installing any android app now, until there's one that I really can't do without.

PS- Cobalt's solution is a boon for people who need android apps, i'm not against it or anything, just that the improvements I experienced matter more to me and all my needs are fulfilled without it.

Posted via The Black Beast-  P A S S P O R T | OG
    BerrySoul likes this.
    08-19-16 11:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Entertainment is not a waste. It's actually a crucial part of our lives.
    08-20-16 12:06 AM
    The BB 10 Os is simply awesome!

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and bigjman like this.
    08-20-16 02:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    You must be fun at parties.

*ME173X
    08-20-16 03:49 AM
    I had the sames thoughts and I conclude that the BB10 OS and its apps are all I need and the smooth of BlackBerry 10 is a real happyness. This OS is gold but BlackBerry seems to let it die *snif*

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 05:13 AM
    Sadly for some people we need some android apps for work.
    ADP for one so I can check my hourly peoples times when I am way out in the middle of nowhere.
    Logging in with the browser only brings you to the base page and you cannot access what you need.
    08-20-16 06:07 AM
    Yub, BB10 is pretty smooth, my only not so important issues have been that when unlocking the phone by swiping up it sometimes only shows the top notification bar, the rest is black; and side scrolling sometimes stops working. If we all pitched in what does work and what doesn't, it might make our lives easier...

Works for me:
    Through Amazon:
    Easy Voice Recorder Pro.
    Paper camera.
    Soundcloud.
    Through Play Store, via Cobalt:
    Barcode scanner.
    Canon camera connect.
    ColorNote
    Google authenticator.
    Snapseed.

Other patched apps might work, but (a) I can't patch them myself since I'm not using windows, and (b) I'm too chicken to use apps patched by others, particularly the ones that use my payment details like Uber.

Doesn't work for me:
    Kindle through Amazon.
    Anything that requires play services, again with the proviso that I can't patch them.
    08-21-16 09:21 PM
    blackberry os is smooth, in my opinion, and meant for adults who are not tied to their phones, or apps.

Posted via CB10
    Insult much?

I can assure you I am very much an adult, and I need important apps and capabilities that BB10 cannot deliver.

As far as Cobalt's modified Google Play Store is concerned, it takes a negligible amount of system resources by itself. If you load up on Android apps, however, your memory will be consumed, and performance will suffer. This is not because Android apps are inherently poorly coded, it is because you are trying to run them in a virtual machine.
    Cobalt232 and hoppysfave like this.
    08-21-16 10:07 PM
    I do use very many Google apps on my passport. It does make things a little harder but I think I can manage without them.
    08-21-16 11:34 PM
    Insult much?

I can assure you I am very much an adult, and I need important apps and capabilities that BB10 cannot deliver.

As far as Cobalt's modified Google Play Store is concerned, it takes a negligible amount of system resources by itself. If you load up on Android apps, however, your memory will be consumed, and performance will suffer. This is not because Android apps are inherently poorly coded, it is because you are trying to run them in a virtual machine.
    I never meant to insult anyone, just stating how my experience has been like.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 03:15 AM
    I have noticed a difference in performance without Google playstore. The question I had to ask myself is, do I need Google? Yes BlackBerry is behind when it comes to apps, but does anybody need all those apps, I mean really? I think even if the updates are few and far between, you only fix what's broke, and blackberry os is smooth, in my opinion, and meant for adults who are not tied to their phones, or apps.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry isn't broke; they have lots of cash in the bank.
    08-23-16 10:08 PM
    The SE performance is better and batterylife maybe 25% better without Snap installed. Still using some droid apps from Amazon. I am 200% satisfied with My Passport and Blackberry but miss wireless charging. The Dock isn't that bad though.
    08-24-16 02:04 PM
    I completely agree with this. It is not the Google Play Store that is slowing down your system nearly as much as it is the apsp that you are installing with it. I use a minimum amount of Android apps but there are some a couple that I do use regularly and, since Snap seems to be in a permanent coma, the Google Play Store is the best way to find them and update them.

If you are going to use Android apps, it is good to have some sort of task manager to see what you have runnign in the backround, as well as use BlackBerry's permission settings to ensure you have disabled the apsp from running in the background as much as possible. It's a trade off.

No arguments that BB10 is smoother and faster and the battery lasts longer without any Android apps. But most definitely this has everything to do with the apps themselves that you have installed and not necessarily the Google Play Store itself.
    08-24-16 02:14 PM
    do you suggest me here use blackberry as it is and for android apps, should use dtek or Priv. so everything works and runs smoothly. What will you advice to use Dtek or Priv.
    Thanks hope you can answer me since slingtv and many other apps won't work on Blackberry.
    please guide me .
    08-24-16 02:16 PM
    buy a tablet for that stuff if its a big deal.
    bigjman likes this.
    08-25-16 07:09 AM
    I have Cobalt's Google Play Store installed and have experienced no issues whatsoever with performance on my Passport. My device runs smooth as butter. No hiccups, lag, or battery drain. I have 11 apps installed. Granted, I don't use them all too frequently, but when I do use them they work flawlessly. My Passport just works, period. That's why I love it!

 CB10 via my Beloved AT&T BlackBerry Passport 
    09-06-16 04:56 AM
    I'm glad it works for you!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 05:35 AM
    Didn't like having the Play store installed. Half of the apps I wanted wouldn't update, and the other half I couldn't delete! I ultimately wiped my phone and started over from scratch. I'm done with Android apps from Google for my BlackBerry, they just don't seem to mix well for me

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 06:44 AM
30 12