As we all have noticed the passport has had some lukewarm reviews.

Some are completely dismissing in nature so you know they didn't even give the passport a real try (the verge anyone?)

Honestly though I don't think people get it, it's more for work and less for play.

TechnoBuffalo (surprisingly) is the only video review I found so far that was mostly positive.

What else have we crackberrians found?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 09-24-14 at 06:12 PM.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    09-24-14 05:45 PM
    Thanks for sharing this review.

I wouldn't say that the reviews are lukewarm. They're on the positive side, at least where the half-reputable sources are concerned. The CNET guy liked it, which was a surprise. Techradar was decent. TechnoBuffalo, as you say was good as well.

His colleague Molly Wood, who also writes for the New York Times (and increasingly fits the clueless hipster demographic) compared the typing speed of a new Passport with that of a touchscreen (which she has probably used for 5 years) and predictably concluded that it is slower. She also bemoans the fact that it doesn't fit a cup-holder in a car. So, yes, there will be stupid reviews. The Passport is not my favorite phone in the BB lineup but it appears to be well-made and well-spec'ed, and at least different from the vanilla slabs out there. So, the kind of daftness you see in Molly's views just needs to be laughed away.

The poster who started a thread saying that Passport got lukewarm reviews posted ones from the Verge, which is not exactly stellar in its tech reviewing. The poster himself is not so hot on BB, so that bias showed quite transparently in his thread title.

I'd be curious to see what the market uptake is, before we get all .. um ... bent out of shape .
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-24-14 05:50 PM
    CNET is good too
    09-24-14 05:51 PM

I wouldn't say that the reviews are lukewarm. They're on the positive side, at least where the half-reputable sources are concerned. The CNET guy liked it, which was a surprise. Techradar was decent. TechnoBuffalo, as you say was good as well.

His colleague Molly Wood, who writes for the New York Times (and generally fits the clueless hipster demographic) compared the typing speed of a new Passport with that of a touchscreen (which she has probably used for 5 years) and predictably concluded that it is slower. She also bemoans the fact that it doesn't fit a cup-holder in a car. So, yes, there will be stupid reviews.

The poster who started a thread saying that Passport got lukewarm reviews posted ones from the Verge, which is not exactly stellar in its tech reviewing. The poster himself is not so hot on BB, so that bias showed quite transparently in his thread title.

I'd be curious to see what the market uptake is, before we get all .. um ... bent out of shape .
    Posted one review from the Verge among others.
    09-24-14 05:54 PM
    I was just doing a Google News search on it, and I would also say they're mostly positive. They're guarded, yes, but that's fair enough. It IS a love or hate device, but they mostly say it's pretty good. Apart from that one silly review, the doubt is whether it's enough, not that it isn't good.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:56 PM
    CNET is good too
    Thanks for this, it's a little short though.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:13 PM
    i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss The Verge, I read it and thought it was pretty fair points by and large, rather than irrational rejection. Also consider that WSJ weren't blown away by it and PC World was on the fence, balancing 5 positives and negatives. It is not wise to reject out of hand these opinions. I'd say it is a mixed bag though certainly.

His colleague Molly Wood, who also writes for the New York Times (and increasingly fits the clueless hipster demographic) compared the typing speed of a new Passport with that of a touchscreen (which she has probably used for 5 years) and predictably concluded that it is slower. She also bemoans the fact that it doesn't fit a cup-holder in a car. So, yes, there will be stupid reviews. The Passport is not my favorite phone in the BB lineup but it appears to be well-made and well-spec'ed, and at least different from the vanilla slabs out there. So, the kind of daftness you see in Molly's views just needs to be laughed away.

Henraay0623 and cjcampbell like this.
    09-24-14 06:17 PM
    Thanks for this, it's a little short though.

Posted via CB10
    yes it's more like a hands-on but i like a balanced (even if too short) review like his.
    a little longer written version on their site
    http://www.cnet.com/products/blackberry-passport/
    09-24-14 06:57 PM
    i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss The Verge, I read it and thought it was pretty fair points by and large, rather than irrational rejection. Also consider that WSJ weren't blown away by it and PC World was on the fence, balancing 5 positives and negatives. It is not wise to reject out of hand these opinions. I'd say it is a mixed bag though certainly.
    Dismissed for the assertion that the voice assistant was slower, when it's been demonstrated on video that it's clearly more robust and just as fast, moreover it's able to interact with your enterprise data whereas siri and google cannot - didn't even mention this, which i think is a key feature of the OS. If it were an iPhone you can be sure it would've been noted.

In the end, to just throw in some lame assertion that it's "slower and just not as good as siri and google" demonstrates conclusively the review was biased, and throws out the entire review as BS.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-24-14 07:18 PM
    perhaps the latest leak isn't anything to base it on (although I understand that is effectively 10.3 from a passport) but I would say BA on my Z30 doesn't win any speed tests. Clear demonstrations on video be damned, If you haven't played with it first hand, I really would before you dismiss what the Verge say.

As for its ability to interact on the enterprise data, nice if it's relevant. Do you have a BES server and balance configured? I don't. And I bet there are a fair few out there who don't too. Its a judgment call from their perspective as to what is relevant to their readers and what is not. To the Verge's readership, regarding such security features as balance etc, perhaps they think it isn't? I know it depends on the audience - again, business professionals is the target, but surely (hopefully) not exclusively. Not everyone will be operating under such restrictions, hence will not give one jot.

Its not a hatchet job, which I feared it might be. Its just an opinion, as valid as the ones that predominate on people with a natural predisposition towards all things BlackBerry. To borrow a trademark from blackberry themselves, a little balance is a healthy thing. This is not an assault on all you hold dear. its one opinion on one site. Reading more gives a better chance at balance than browsing the extremely biased CrackBerry forum view.

If you want to dismiss it as BS, that is your prerogative, I just won't be joining you down that path. I say to the Verge, noted and logged. Nothing more.

Dismissed for the assertion that the voice assistant was slower, when it's been demonstrated on video that it's clearly more robust and just as fast, moreover it's able to interact with your enterprise data whereas siri and google cannot - didn't even mention this, which i think is a key feature of the OS. If it were an iPhone you can be sure it would've been noted.

In the end, to just throw in some lame assertion that it's "slower and just not as good as siri and google" demonstrates conclusively the review was biased, and throws out the entire review as BS.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-24-14 07:50 PM
    not quiet a review but positive feedbacks from a Toronto National Post's journalist:
    First impressions of BlackBerry?s Passport smartphone | Financial Post
    09-24-14 08:07 PM
    Mobile syrup gave a decent review, 9's and 8's for everything and then give 6.5 for software... um 10.3 is awesome lol

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    09-24-14 08:22 PM
    Yahoo tech...(I know, right...) had a pretty good review,you could tell he understood the positives of the keyboard at least
    09-24-14 08:40 PM
    Daily planet spoke highly of it on today's episode

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:10 PM
    I just copy/paste what i already posted on another thread because it is really pleasant to see positive feedback!
    the guys from ZDNET.fr are obviously in love with the Passport, i think we have here the more enthusiastic review of the Passport and they will probably stay unbeaten for a very loooonnng time as they are so euphoric (sorry it is in french but it's so good to see enthusiasm about Blackberry)
    BlackBerry Passport : le debrief en vido
    I love what they say to conclude: "Blackberry isn't sheltered from a great general use product success !!!"

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 07:01 PM