The ONLY thing anyone should trust is HIPAA-compliant email services. Neither Gmail or Outlook qualify. It's SO SIMPLE TO COMPLY. Non-compliance means they INTEND to use your data, end of story.

I host my own mail/contact/calendar server which I TRUST, and if I use gmail, I grab it with getmail and remove so NOTHING is stored elsewhere except my own servers.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-24-15 06:00 PM
    Felt same way, did same thing, kept Gmail for "leasure mail" if you please, and using duckduckgo as default search engine on my passport!

Well done OP

Posted via CB10
    Duckduckgo has made some serious improvement in the last year or so as well.

Very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:13 PM
    So tonight, after months of debating, I've made my decision.

I was an avid BlackBerry user in the mid 2000s until 2011. Switched to android in mid 11 and swore by it. I've used every flagship android device by all major us release manufacturers. LG, Sammy, HTC, Moto, Asus, Sony. Over the last few years I've become very displeased with Google's marketing and information gathering.

I bought my first Passport last year and realized BB is back.

"It will be very hard to get rid of gmail. Google for search. Maps... Etc"

Reading that statement and contemplating out my head made me realize just how dependent I've become on Google and disgusted me. No one should be that dependendent on any one outside source, especially one that spies on you.

So as of tomorrow morning. I am ditching all that is Google, slowly, one by one service, until I'm completely liberated.

Just thought I'd share. I'm actually very very excited. It's a big decision and the journey ahead should be interesting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    WELL THOUGHT OUT POST! POST OF THE MONTH!!

I'm VERY curious about the following:

Google Search
    - and everything that comes with it - including their powerful search commands/tricks. Is there a valid global or regional competitor (Yahoo seems to be a mix-mash but has some legs, BING yuck UI overhaul Please).

Google Maps
    - the 3D view ... maybe Nokia's Maps (they've always been ahead of the game until 3D maps in my eyes).

what OS are you using.
    Sorry everyone if all these where answered haven't read past this first op post, kind of bookmarking to read as a sleep when I get home.
    03-24-15 10:15 PM
    Just checked out fastmail... seem cool, but they don't even listed blackberry as supported. But they do support Windows, IOS and Android.

Sorry, I don't do business with anyone that does not support blackberry or fastmail is fail for me.
    That's only if you want to use the dedicated fastmail app. If you want to access your fastmail account via the Hub, you just set it up as an IMAP account like any other, and it should work.
    03-25-15 07:12 AM

I was an avid BlackBerry user in the mid 2000s until 2011. Switched to android in mid 11 and swore by it. I've used every flagship android device by all major us release manufacturers. LG, Sammy, HTC, Moto, Asus, Sony. Over the last few years I've become very displeased with Google's marketing and information gathering.

Reading that statement and contemplating out my head made me realize just how dependent I've become on Google and disgusted me. No one should be that dependendent on any one outside source, especially one that spies on you.

So as of tomorrow morning. I am ditching all that is Google, slowly, one by one service, until I'm completely liberated.

Just thought I'd share. I'm actually very very excited. It's a big decision and the journey ahead should be interesting.

Yah, back in the day when you got a blackberry, you got a BB email address to go with that. Kind of wish that was still around. I'm with you but in the case of Google Calendar, I kind of have to stay with that as me and the hubby share our calendars. He's still on Android. I haven't downloaded any Google apps but I do sync with GMAIL and Calendar right now. Google Maps is still king but I use the stock BB maps app along with BeMaps Pro. When I use a particular OS, be it BB, Android or Windows, I typically go all in on that particular eco-system. Blackberry will be no different, at least to the extent possible. I wish they would get to a point where they would develop their own high end apps that would work seamlessly with other maps and calendars.
    03-25-15 07:51 AM
    I'd like to have the option to add https://duckduckgo.com (or whatever your choice is) in Assistant->Device Search Option->Extended, as a provider. Your'e kind of forced to use Google/Bing or Yahoo now. Maybe it's possible, but I have not found out how to do it..
    You can do that. Go to www.duckduckgo.com, tap on the 3 dots for more options and you will see an option saying 'Add Search'. Once you add it, it should show up in the extended tab of the Device options in Assistant.

Posted via CB10
    jpoq, ZedMacahan and anon(9188202) like this.
    03-25-15 08:39 AM
    On a good note, I want to ask all u fellow folks that which other email provider you think is better and safer with a lesser or no footprint on the big bad Web at all?
    I don't want to use Outlook, Gmail, yahoo, or Hotmail?
    I tried excite.com but wasn't too happy

Any suggestions Pls......
    Regards

Posted via CB10
    Protonmail.ch
    03-25-15 12:59 PM
    Yah, back in the day when you got a blackberry, you got a BB email address to go with that. Kind of wish that was still around. I'm with you but in the case of Google Calendar, I kind of have to stay with that as me and the hubby share our calendars. He's still on Android. I haven't downloaded any Google apps but I do sync with GMAIL and Calendar right now. Google Maps is still king but I use the stock BB maps app along with BeMaps Pro. When I use a particular OS, be it BB, Android or Windows, I typically go all in on that particular eco-system. Blackberry will be no different, at least to the extent possible. I wish they would get to a point where they would develop their own high end apps that would work seamlessly with other maps and calendars.
    Outlook.Com
    Export Google calendar even import via this site. Then setup on both devices. Calendar has many standards to resolve migration to other servers. This was solved back in the PDA PIM days

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 01:46 PM
    I miss my BlackBerry email that I use to have
    03-26-15 01:33 PM

I started doing the same by using the maps app, and one drive instead of google maps and google drive and so far so good.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:27 PM
    Yay me. I did not do this before deleting my Google acct completely. Most of my contacts except the most recent ones were thankfully in my yahoo acct. Feels like 1998 adding things manually to my phonebook lol.

Red BlackBerry Passport
    03-27-15 12:19 PM
    Good luck! Classic is nice!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:05 PM
    What is a good free replacement to gmail?

The few times I have to use their search functionality it's a life saver.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 09:26 AM
    The ONLY thing anyone should trust is HIPAA-compliant email services. Neither Gmail or Outlook qualify. It's SO SIMPLE TO COMPLY. Non-compliance means they INTEND to use your data, end of story.

I host my own mail/contact/calendar server which I TRUST, and if I use gmail, I grab it with getmail and remove so NOTHING is stored elsewhere except my own servers.
    Can you provide me with a bit of info towards what you did? I'm willing to investigate and go down this route.

I do have my own domain managed through Gmail because I got on Google Apps when they used to offer the free edition. Other services like Outlook charge for personal domains, so if I'm going to switch, I might as well pay to host my own and have greater privacy.

Or you can recommend a paid service better than Goog/MSFT. Either way, maintaining my own domain is a must.
    03-28-15 02:39 PM
    That's only if you want to use the dedicated fastmail app. If you want to access your fastmail account via the Hub, you just set it up as an IMAP account like any other, and it should work.
    Why don't people use "Navfree " as an alternative to Google maps? I have never used Google maps, why should I as Navfree is great!! & free!!

Posted via CB10
    Time to try it, where does navfree get the traffic data from? One thing google has been pretty accurate is the traffic data, and points of interests like subway station, banks, post offices etc.
    Can you search for company and get their business hours, etc on Navfree? That's another very useful function that I take advantage of very regularly. Especially business hours is an extremely valuable tool for me.
    Not sure where NavFree pulls it traffic data but you can get POI on it. I hit the sidebar (three horizontal lines), choose Favorite Places and from there I can tap on POI and see what's nearby. There are also Google Search and FourSquare tabs as well.
    I tried it, I don't really see the fascination with NavFree, it's nice and especially nice since it stores map locally instead of relying on Internet connection, but it still needs data for Google search, and for those who claim they see going Google free, this proves that there is no way to go Google free completely. We need Google to give us our search results. Just because we start using a different interface but use Google data does not make us free from Google.

Also what is up with NavFree constantly moving the direction, I just want to zoom in and out but it keeps spinning the North, so I have to use buttons for zooming.

Additionally, most of the time it fails to find the business if there isn't Any working current view area. This is a big shortcoming. It is lacking business info as well, if it gets data from Google, why not get everything?

Traffic labor is not easy to read.

For a free app, it's 5 stars but as Google replacement, it fails. With 10.3.1 Google maps work very fast, as fast as native environment.

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    03-29-15 10:58 AM
    Nothing is going to replace Google maps right now

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-29-15 08:12 PM
    I loved google maps but maps on the passport device is really a nice replacement.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:27 PM
    I deleted Google everything. Use outlook and yahoo and my personal server for email. Duckduckgo and bing for search. All location and history off. VPN in certain situations. When I want to be completely anonymous I tether 4g to a plugin external disposable network interface with its own mac address using an anonymous vpn (paid for in cash without identifying info). I'm sure the big G can still track anything down but the average Joe cant.

Red BlackBerry Passport
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    03-29-15 08:29 PM
    BlackBerry all the way!

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:36 PM
    I loved google maps but maps on the passport device is really a nice replacement.

Posted via CB10
    I know maps from BBOS6. I'd love to see a video where both nap systems go head to head. Right now I love Google Maps and Now. A powerful combination
    03-30-15 01:07 PM
    I tried it, I don't really see the fascination with NavFree, it's nice and especially nice since it stores map locally instead of relying on Internet connection, but it still needs data for Google search, and for those who claim they see going Google free, this proves that there is no way to go Google free completely. We need Google to give us our search results. Just because we start using a different interface but use Google data does not make us free from Google.

Also what is up with NavFree constantly moving the direction, I just want to zoom in and out but it keeps spinning the North, so I have to use buttons for zooming.

Additionally, most of the time it fails to find the business if there isn't Any working current view area. This is a big shortcoming. It is lacking business info as well, if it gets data from Google, why not get everything?

Traffic labor is not easy to read.

For a free app, it's 5 stars but as Google replacement, it fails. With 10.3.1 Google maps work very fast, as fast as native environment.

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    Nothing is going to replace Google maps right now

Posted via CB10
    Here is what I am talking about:

Good Bye Google...-img_20150329_114143.png

If my search is in not current map view, it won't display anything, will keep searching... as above.

Then I try Staples in both Google Maps and NavFree, here is the difference:
    Good Bye Google...-img_20150329_114359.png
    Good Bye Google...-img_20150329_114404.png

There are no store hours or other detailed information in Nav Free, but it gives me nearby restaurants? Why?
    Good Bye Google...-img_20150329_114533.png

Good luck using NavFree as replacement of Google maps.
    There is only one replacement for google maps, it's google maps website in BB browser.
    03-30-15 04:07 PM
    very interesting thanks for sharing op.

it's true, it's not good when a company has so many people dependent on them and then they misuse the information they gather.
    03-30-15 05:59 PM
    What is a good free replacement to gmail?

The few times I have to use their search functionality it's a life saver.

Posted via CB10
    Office 365 for four bucks a month. Active sync office.
    03-30-15 07:59 PM
    I deleted Google everything. Use outlook and yahoo and my personal server for email. Duckduckgo and bing for search. All location and history off. VPN in certain situations. When I want to be completely anonymous I tether 4g to a plugin external disposable network interface with its own mac address using an anonymous vpn (paid for in cash without identifying info). I'm sure the big G can still track anything down but the average Joe cant.

Red BlackBerry Passport
    No youtube? No BlackBerry apk? No tv box?

I wonder if anyone ever felt that they have too much dependent on windows os or osX, and they decided to ditch all os, or even on internet itself, and finally back to paper era -__-

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    03-30-15 08:30 PM
    I wonder if anyone ever felt that they have too much dependent on windows os or osX, and they decided to ditch all os, or even on internet itself, and finally back to paper era -__-
    Personally, I think smartphones are, for most people, more of an obstacle to productivity than anything else.

A friend of mine, who has a catering business, still uses a battered ancient flip phone. He checks his email once a day, at 6:00 am, on his computer at home. He's also very active in his church and is involved in a city-wide feeding ministry that makes large demands on his time. If you want to get in touch with him for something that needs immediate attention, you call him. That's all. He doesn't text; he's not on Facebook, WhatsApp, iMessage, or anything else. Call for immediate contact, or email, which he'll get to.

I'm certain of one thing. This guy is very productive, very committed to everything he does. His retro ways don't seem to be an obstacle to that.
    03-31-15 07:47 AM
81 1234