Is outlook email, contacts, and calendar free? Does it sync your contacts automatically when you sign into your BlackBerry?

I use Gmail for my contacts and it syncs to my phone automatically when I first setup my phone after a new OS install. It's very easy as I have to just login and all my contacts are there. No linking or doing anything at all, it just happens. Does outlook contacts act the same way?

Thanks, John

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.2480
    Yes it works exactly that way. You need to head over to outlook.com, create an account and there you go: Just add it in your BlackBerry, select which kind of stuff you want to have synced (mails, calendar, contacts) and it syncs all that stuff. It works pretty flawlessly, and regarding to some reports even better than Gmail.
    The service is completely free and offered by Microsoft, so you most likely "pay" again with your data.

Posted via CB10
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    03-24-15 07:58 AM
    Is outlook email, contacts, and calendar free? Does it sync your contacts automatically when you sign into your BlackBerry?
    Yes, it's free. You can pay for more space on OneDrive, and it's very cheap, but you don't have to.

And yes, my Passport syncs my outlook.com contacts and calendar. Just like Gmail, when you set up the email account on your BlackBerry, you choose whether or not to sync contacts and calendar. You can mix and match, if you want. You could keep Gmail but do contacts and calendar with outlook.com or someone else. BB10 makes this pretty straightforward.

It's a little trickier on Android, but I won't get into that here.
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    03-24-15 08:14 AM
    One thing for sure... Google's services are like crack... Addictive like hell.
    03-24-15 08:19 AM
    I switched to Outlook recently as well for email, calender and contacts. So far it's been a good move.
    03-24-15 08:20 AM
    Why don't people use "Navfree " as an alternative to Google maps? I have never used Google maps, why should I as Navfree is great!! & free!!

Posted via CB10
    This x1000. Oh ... it does integrate with Google search for ease in finding strangely spelled locations where you don't know the spelling.
    03-24-15 08:25 AM
    I have thought about doing the same thing - partly because I am increasingly less impressed with their services and thinking I should move to fully private email anyway.

Marcin - perhaps you could update us sometime on your experience migrating away from Google services?
    03-24-15 09:26 AM
    I tried to migrate from Gmail to outlook.com a couple of times, but MS doesn't allow for profile images to be imported from Gmail to Outlook, nor to be added manually to contacts that were imported.

I think this is utterly ridiculouls.

May sound silly for some, but for me it's kinda critical to get my ~700 contacts including images over to my new email/contacts DB provider, without having to re-enter everything manually.

At least I can confirm that syncing email+contacts+calendar+tasks (!) works flawlessly between outlook.com and BB10. Once they fix this profile picture stupidity, I'll be off to outlook.com.
    03-24-15 09:29 AM
    Just a note: If you ever bought movies on Google and you know you can't transfer them over, but you can watch them thru YouTube in the purchased section. That is if you migrate from it using new email address

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:39 AM
    After you set up an account with Outlook it all hangs together just fine...email, people, calendar, etc...all auto sync with BB. Whatever you type into your BB or into OneDrive - it syncs up in both places as it does in Gmail.
    luminosity6 likes this.
    03-24-15 09:47 AM
    Yes, it's free. You can pay for more space on OneDrive, and it's very cheap, but you don't have to.

And yes, my Passport syncs my outlook.com contacts and calendar. Just like Gmail, when you set up the email account on your BlackBerry, you choose whether or not to sync contacts and calendar. You can mix and match, if you want. You could keep Gmail but do contacts and calendar with outlook.com or someone else. BB10 makes this pretty straightforward.

It's a little trickier on Android, but I won't get into that here.
    Thank you, to you and Taigatrommel.

Do you know if I can sync my Gmail contacts to outlook.com easily/painlessly?

03-24-15 10:21 AM
    So tonight, after months of debating, I've made my decision...

BLAH BLAH BLAH

... as of tomorrow morning. I am ditching all that is Google, slowly, one by one service, until I'm completely liberated.

Just thought I'd share. I'm actually very very excited. It's a big decision and the journey ahead should be interesting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    So we'll start so see "Posted via the CB10 App" as your signature ;-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    03-24-15 11:16 AM
    Leaving google just to be dependent from someone just different? Naaa Im dipendent I know but at least G service Work well in all platform.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 12:18 PM
    Why don't people use "Navfree " as an alternative to Google maps? I have never used Google maps, why should I as Navfree is great!! & free!!

Posted via CB10
    Time to try it, where does navfree get the traffic data from? One thing google has been pretty accurate is the traffic data, and points of interests like subway station, banks, post offices etc.
    Can you search for company and get their business hours, etc on Navfree? That's another very useful function that I take advantage of very regularly. Especially business hours is an extremely valuable tool for me.
    03-24-15 12:35 PM
    Just checked out fastmail... seem cool, but they don't even listed blackberry as supported. But they do support Windows, IOS and Android.

Sorry, I don't do business with anyone that does not support blackberry or fastmail is fail for me.
    thymaster likes this.
    03-24-15 12:57 PM
    Thank you, to you and Taigatrommel.

Do you know if I can sync my Gmail contacts to outlook.com easily/painlessly?

Yes. This can be done in two ways.
    1. Go to People in your Microsoft account and there is an option to sync contacts to your Google account.

2. Export your google contacts as a CSV file and import it on Outlook.

Edit : Use the 2nd method if you intend to delete contacts from Gmail or completely delete your google account.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bad mojo92; 03-24-15 at 01:37 PM.
    03-24-15 01:00 PM
    Yes. This can be done in two ways.
    1. Go to People in your Microsoft account and there is an option to sync contacts to your Google account.

2. Export your google contacts as a CSV file and import it on Outlook.
    In case it's not obvious (and with apologies if it is), the difference between these two is that the sync option is dynamic, so it maintains equivalence between the two lists of contacts. The CSV method is one and done, after which outlook.com doesn't interact with Gmail contacts.

If for some reason you've decided you don't want Google to have access to your contacts, you'd use the CSV export method and then delete them from your Gmail account.
    03-24-15 01:09 PM
    Felt same way, did same thing, kept Gmail for "leasure mail" if you please, and using duckduckgo as default search engine on my passport!

Well done OP

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:12 PM
    In case it's not obvious (and with apologies if it is), the difference between these two is that the sync option is dynamic, so it maintains equivalence between the two lists of contacts. The CSV method is one and done, after which outlook.com doesn't interact with Gmail contacts.

If for some reason you've decided you don't want Google to have access to your contacts, you'd use the CSV export method and then delete them from your Gmail account.
    Though I've never tried the sync method, I assume that once it's done, we can always revoke the access and then delete all the contacts from Gmail? Unless once the sync is revoked, the contacts also disappear then CSV is the only way.

Edit: I just checked and it is indeed dynamic. I'll edit my original post to reflect this. Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bad mojo92; 03-24-15 at 01:33 PM.
    03-24-15 01:16 PM
    On a good note, I want to ask all u fellow folks that which other email provider you think is better and safer with a lesser or no footprint on the big bad Web at all?
    I don't want to use Outlook, Gmail, yahoo, or Hotmail?
    I tried excite.com but wasn't too happy

Any suggestions Pls......
    Regards

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:21 PM
    I use Google for search and maps and Gmail for my misc emails, not personal.
    03-24-15 02:44 PM
    For those of you that have 10.3.1, does not Blend take care of many of the issues? - calendar, email, etc.
    03-24-15 02:52 PM
    I'd like to have the option to add https://duckduckgo.com (or whatever your choice is) in Assistant->Device Search Option->Extended, as a provider. Your'e kind of forced to use Google/Bing or Yahoo now. Maybe it's possible, but I have not found out how to do it..
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 03-24-15 at 03:21 PM.
    03-24-15 03:10 PM
    Not sure where NavFree pulls it traffic data but you can get POI on it. I hit the sidebar (three horizontal lines), choose Favorite Places and from there I can tap on POI and see what's nearby. There are also Google Search and FourSquare tabs as well.
    03-24-15 04:33 PM
    Nowadays I just use my Google account for non important stuff, like newsletters and updates on stuff. Otherwise I use my paid fastmail account.

Slowly I have gotten rid of Google and even my browser is opera.

I get less crap on my emails and it just feels good. Haha!

via Z30
    Fastmail *woot!* \0/
    I've used Opera browser and Operamail for years...never had a Gmail account.
    They lost me when they acquired youtube and forced everyone to sign up with Google. I let my youtube account go and never looked back.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-24-15 04:48 PM
    So tonight, after months of debating, I've made my decision.

I was an avid BlackBerry user in the mid 2000s until 2011. Switched to android in mid 11 and swore by it. I've used every flagship android device by all major us release manufacturers. LG, Sammy, HTC, Moto, Asus, Sony. Over the last few years I've become very displeased with Google's marketing and information gathering.

I bought my first Passport last year and realized BB is back.

"It will be very hard to get rid of gmail. Google for search. Maps... Etc"

Reading that statement and contemplating out my head made me realize just how dependent I've become on Google and disgusted me. No one should be that dependendent on any one outside source, especially one that spies on you.

So as of tomorrow morning. I am ditching all that is Google, slowly, one by one service, until I'm completely liberated.

Just thought I'd share. I'm actually very very excited. It's a big decision and the journey ahead should be interesting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Okay, so OP... where did you go? You've got 2 pages of comments here and unless I've missed something, I don't see any follow up from you. It's been a few days. Did you delete everything Google, including the CB android app you seemed to have been posting from to begin with? Just curious.... Or were you just trolling?

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    03-24-15 05:29 PM
81 1234