So tonight, after months of debating, I've made my decision.

I was an avid BlackBerry user in the mid 2000s until 2011. Switched to android in mid 11 and swore by it. I've used every flagship android device by all major us release manufacturers. LG, Sammy, HTC, Moto, Asus, Sony. Over the last few years I've become very displeased with Google's marketing and information gathering.

I bought my first Passport last year and realized BB is back.

"It will be very hard to get rid of gmail. Google for search. Maps... Etc"

Reading that statement and contemplating out my head made me realize just how dependent I've become on Google and disgusted me. No one should be that dependendent on any one outside source, especially one that spies on you.

So as of tomorrow morning. I am ditching all that is Google, slowly, one by one service, until I'm completely liberated.

Just thought I'd share. I'm actually very very excited. It's a big decision and the journey ahead should be interesting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kfh227, lift, ruben1975 and 32 others like this.
    03-22-15 10:15 PM
    I have done the same thing. Got rid of Gmail couple of years back and switched to outlook. One drive instead of google drive, etc. I do still watch the occasional you tube video but there doesn't seem to be an alternative there. I did purchase a oneplus one recently as I couldn't resist the temptation to try it, but sold it about two weeks in. Didn't like Google being back into everything I did on a phone again and realized how much better the Passport was as well.

Good luck on your quest to rid yourself of Google.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    03-22-15 10:36 PM
    I wish you well with the move.
    It is easy to detach the obvious connections to Google, but even harder to deal with the components you least consider that have their heart strings managed by Google and their services. Unless you bypass even your carrier, many rely on services administered by the Big G.
    Many of us feel the need to detach from them, but it is easier to think than to accomplish; if not for them then there are many others we still have our connections to, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple etc. as they all own tracking services that manage day to day.

Wish you well.
    03-22-15 10:41 PM
    Hey now, what's wrong with keeping gmail account? I use BB and on of the email accounts that I use is gmail account for access to my youtoube account.

Other than that big congrats on making the move back to the dark side.
    03-22-15 10:44 PM
    Nowadays I just use my Google account for non important stuff, like newsletters and updates on stuff. Otherwise I use my paid fastmail account.

Slowly I have gotten rid of Google and even my browser is opera.

I get less crap on my emails and it just feels good. Haha!

via Z30
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-22-15 11:26 PM
    Op I feel the same way you did about 3 years ago when Google try to monopolize social media by integrating Youtube with Google+. It was a stupid decision on their end but on the plus side it made me realize how much I depended on Google services. The only reason why I still keep my gmail account is for Youtube and the Playstore to access the apps. I have my own personal email with Yahoo and OneDrive as my cloud storage.

Other then that I don't care much for Google and I don't think they have produce anything original or creative. Android is plagerized from iOS, Google+ is a copy cat of Facebook, and Youtube was bought out because Google video failed.

Op I'm glad you make the switch and hope you succeed because no one should be this dependent on a single company.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    03-22-15 11:33 PM
    I have done the same thing. Got rid of Gmail couple of years back and switched to outlook. One drive instead of google drive, etc. I do still watch the occasional you tube video but there doesn't seem to be an alternative there. I did purchase a oneplus one recently as I couldn't resist the temptation to try it, but sold it about two weeks in. Didn't like Google being back into everything I did on a phone again and realized how much better the Passport was as well.

Good luck on your quest to rid yourself of Google.

i did the same thing sold my z30 got a oneplus one rooted did the custom rom things about a week or 2 after using it i just coudnt take it couldnt stand google getting so damn personal with me ruining my life got a good deal on a passport and i am never looking back on top of that the OS is just not comparable bb10 is just so much more fluid
    03-22-15 11:33 PM
    good decision op as well on the passport its just mind boggling how brainwashed people are and are afraid to try different things
    03-22-15 11:37 PM
    I don't use Google for anything that I can think of, except the very occasional YouTube. And I don't 'like' anything on Facebook for that matter. Funny, but believe it or not, life goes on...and it's actually really good.

Oops, true confession, I guess I've used the odd Android app but even then, I'm finding I'm using fewer and fewer apps on my Passport. Probably no more than a dozen or so on a regular basis and all of them are native BlackBerry apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:44 AM
    GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth come in handy and are nice to have. And similar to the fellow a few posts above mentioned, I use Gmail for miscellaneous non-vital email.

The Google account also useful if you do want to load a couple of apps from Playstore.

Passport OS 10.3.1.2582
    03-23-15 01:10 AM
    Why don't people use "Navfree " as an alternative to Google maps? I have never used Google maps, why should I as Navfree is great!! & free!!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:39 AM
    One of the unsung advantages of using a BlackBerry is that it forces you to rethink the usage of app ecosystems due to the lack of applications. It is not easy to part with the comforts of Google or Apple but it gives you a chance to see better independent alternatives and focus on the real attributes of each application.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    03-23-15 06:25 AM
    Hey now, what's wrong with keeping gmail account? I use BB and on of the email accounts that I use is gmail account for access to my youtoube account.

Other than that big congrats on making the move back to the dark side.
    My youtube account is now associated with my outlook.com account, very easy to do when you kill off your Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and Secksy like this.
    03-23-15 07:35 AM
    For virtually every Google service, there is a valid alternative and often better. Outlook.com for mail and PIM works great and flawless. Personally I just switched to a small, paid mail provider for PIM and e-mail, everything works great there too, even push.
    I hope you enjoy your switch, one never should make himself completely dependent on a single provider for any service at all.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and Secksy like this.
    03-23-15 09:53 AM
    Hi

I'm an android user and will soon reactivate my 9780! I like the flexibility and all manufacturers will try and tie us into their eco systems. However, congrats on your move and all the best with it. Blackberry is a nice platform and there must be a reason why so many people who were users are coming back now. BB10 is gaining momentum I'd say.
    thymaster likes this.
    03-23-15 10:12 AM
    I still use google service a lot e.g. YouTube, Google Map and gmail.
    But i can get them all work perfectly on my BB. So i have happy about my BB keyboard / mail with Android apps on my passport.... although the camera is still super sucks compare to the one on my previous iPhone5

Posted via CB10 from BB Passport
    03-23-15 11:00 AM
    Never get tied down to one service like say Google or Apple or Microsoft. I use them all sparingly. Devoting to one entirely is just a way of tying yourself up

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and Deitzanova like this.
    03-23-15 12:14 PM
    I also use Google Earth for satellite views of buildings for work. That does work great for overview photo work for insurance claims.

03-23-15 12:31 PM
    If you don't think big brother is watching you regardless of what service you use....haha

I miss some things on Google trying to adjust.

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee, Mecca EL, eji930 and 1 others like this.
    03-23-15 12:38 PM
    If you don't think big brother is watching you regardless of what service you use....haha

I miss some things on Google trying to adjust.

Posted via CB10

big brother is a given but google just pretty much advertises their hooring
    03-23-15 04:29 PM
    Welcome back and good choice on the passport! This phone is great!
    I have never left and never had the desire to fallow the hype and crowd. If only I could get Blackberry to replace my laptop OS, I would be in heaven. Congratulations on the move back!
    03-23-15 05:30 PM
    Hey, that's what brought me to BlackBerry as well!

After the whole PRISM fiasco and Google denying involvement in a real cagey way I decided to remove myself from Google as much as possible.

Good luck! It'll take a bit of creativity but once you're separated it's a sweet feeling.

Posted via my gorgeous Red Passport
    03-23-15 07:41 PM
    No Google, No Apple, no Microsoft. Linux only since 1991.
    No outlook, google or yahoo email account.
    You can watch youtube videos without a google account.

Any software operating system that installs or updates itself remotely on your computer, tablet or phone spies on you. It's only a matter of degree to which that happens.
    That started in the mid 2000.

Apps are the worst incarnation of this approach where we are all turned into data entry and collecting slaves for Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and the like. Worst still, we pay monthly fees to enjoy being data entry slaves.

BlackBerry seems to be the least guilty of it but they still sold us to Amazon and others with android apps or with apps which do not give us permissions control.
    03-23-15 11:59 PM
    I switched out of Google for most things, not for the sake of privacy but simply not to feed my entire life to a single company. I use outlook.com for mail, contacts, and calendar, and I use OneDrive; so I'm now feeding my life to Microsoft! But I use Evernote rather than OneNote, and Duck Duck Go rather than either Google or Bing search.

I also have a OnePlus One, and I use MailWise to collect my outlook.com and work email, so I have Gmail disabled. I use aCalendar, so Google Calendar is disabled as well. I have location history turned off. I use Dragon Assistant instead of Google Now for voice assistance. In short, it's possible to use an Android phone without depending entirely on Google services for everything.

All that said, my Passport is platform-neutral right out of the box, whereas it takes some planning to make an Android phone more or less platform-neutral. You do need a Google account to activate an Android phone, but beyond that you don't need to use it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-24-15 07:34 AM
    I switched out of Google for most things, not for the sake of privacy but simply not to feed my entire life to a single company. I use outlook.com for mail, contacts, and calendar, and I use OneDrive; so I'm now feeding my life to Microsoft! But I use Evernote rather than OneNote, and Duck Duck Go rather than either Google or Bing search.

I also have a OnePlus One, and I use MailWise to collect my outlook.com and work email, so I have Gmail disabled. I use aCalendar, so Google Calendar is disabled as well. I have location history turned off. I use Dragon Assistant instead of Google Now for voice assistance. In short, it's possible to use an Android phone without depending entirely on Google services for everything.

All that said, my Passport is platform-neutral right out of the box, whereas it takes some planning to make an Android phone more or less platform-neutral. You do need a Google account to activate an Android phone, but beyond that you don't need to use it.
    Is outlook email, contacts, and calendar free? Does it sync your contacts automatically when you sign into your BlackBerry?

I use Gmail for my contacts and it syncs to my phone automatically when I first setup my phone after a new OS install. It's very easy as I have to just login and all my contacts are there. No linking or doing anything at all, it just happens. Does outlook contacts act the same way?

Thanks, John

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.2480
    03-24-15 07:44 AM
81 123 ...