Hey all,

I ordered myself a BB Passport this morning off Amazon. It's something I've always wanted to try and now I am completely reliant on the great BB suite of applications like the Hub. From what I've heard, Battery Life is amazing, and in videos I've seen, it just looks like a very well polished device. I am currently using a Priv that I've had for a few weeks now. The device is great, but it does have it's shortcomings as we all know.

Question for the Passport/BB10 users, how is the experience using the Playstore/Patched GApps applications?

There are only a few applications I really need access to, did some research and they all come up as being able to install patched (youtube/GDrive/Hangouts/Chrome) and/or unpatched (Spotify, Slack, Yahoo fantasy Sports).

Are you guys happy with the experience? Do the patched applications work adequately enough to get by?

Thanks for the info guys!
    BerrySoul likes this.
    08-15-16 07:49 AM
    Most apps, do work... and those that require patching.. work very well also.

If you have researched the apps you need and they are all coming up as available... then you should be good to go.

I would suggest that you be mindful of updating as you'll have to repatch those apps. And/or it's possible as time goes by that those apps might move beyond compatibility with Android 4.3. So make sure you keep copies of your older patched apps.
    08-15-16 07:59 AM
    Thanks. That's great advice. Yes, I did take note of the run-time and I am aware of apps that don't support anything below that.

So if the app is updated to remove compatibility for the BB10 run-time version, if I keep using the older patched app it will continue to work?

One other question, does using more android apps vs BB10 apps drain the battery faster?
    08-15-16 08:31 AM
    There are lots of alternatives on BlackBerry world just have to pay for pro features.. would not recommend using lots of android app. I only have spotify!, waze and grab..

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 08:39 AM
    There are lots of alternatives on BlackBerry world just have to pay for pro features.. would not recommend using lots of android app. I only have spotify!, waze and grab..

Posted via CB10
    Hey Schumi_xtreme01 ... Do they have decent alternatives for Gapp applications, specifically Hangouts and Drive? Those are really the main Google applications I really need.

Thanks,
    08-15-16 08:45 AM
    Amazon is an auction house. Note who you actually bought it from. Not the best place to buy a phone IMO
    08-15-16 09:32 AM
    Amazon is an auction house. Note who you actually bought it from. Not the best place to buy a phone IMO
    Hey, thanks for the advice. The listed on the order says sold by Amazon LLC. The reason I purchased it there is because out of all the retailers for the silver edition it was about $50 less and offers next day shipping for cheap for prime members.
    08-15-16 09:51 AM
    Hey all,

I ordered myself a BB Passport this morning off Amazon. It's something I've always wanted to try and now I am completely reliant on the great BB suite of applications like the Hub. From what I've heard, Battery Life is amazing, and in videos I've seen, it just looks like a very well polished device. I am currently using a Priv that I've had for a few weeks now. The device is great, but it does have it's shortcomings as we all know.

Question for the Passport/BB10 users, how is the experience using the Playstore/Patched GApps applications?

There are only a few applications I really need access to, did some research and they all come up as being able to install patched (youtube/GDrive/Hangouts/Chrome) and/or unpatched (Spotify, Slack, Yahoo fantasy Sports).

Are you guys happy with the experience? Do the patched applications work adequately enough to get by?

Thanks for the info guys!
    I don't know so much about the 'great BB suite of applications'. Yes there is the hub, but I'm not sure what else qualifies as 'great'. Big name native BlackBerry apps are in very short supply and personally I think if you need to run Android apps then get an Android. The novelty of having to patch apps to get them to run properly wears off very quickly, and on top of that, even when they do work, it's never as well as they would run on an Android.

BB10 also appears to be coming to the end of its life, that's something else to consider.

Just my ever so humble 2c worth.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 10:58 AM
    if I keep using the older patched app it will continue to work?
    There is NO guarantee that using the older patched version will work, but it is a good idea to keep the apk's somewhere in case you have to roll back. Check the changelog for the update as it may not have any useful or needed updates that you really need. I find that a lot of those android app updates seem to update just for the sake of an update and are not really needed anyway (YMMV). BB World does have some nice 3rd party apps (you will have to pay for them though) that can do the job, but again, there are also junky apps there as well. Typically, I tend to steer people away from BB10 if they require lots of social media apps and usually ask them to research the available app options that are "must haves".
    One other question, does using more android apps vs BB10 apps drain the battery faster?
    I think the answer to this is generally yes, but there are many caveats. If you disable notifications, disable "run when minimized" and customize the usage then maybe the answer is no, but you will lose functionality of course. I am not a big app user and have only 12 android apps on my Passport right now. There is also the possibility of checking out "Web Apps" or desktop shortcuts. I have replaced a few android apps with these and they work very well for me. Paypal (being the best example as you lose NO functionality over the app) and CNN mobile are a couple of examples. Just this morning I found another great web app (CRA-Canada Revenue Agency) which seems to do everything I need it to do. I am not saying that all these web apps will do everything that a standalone app will do, but some of them will and they are definetly worth looking at BEFORE using an android app IMHO. Good luck!
    08-15-16 11:45 AM
    Great Advice. Appreciate the reply. Does anyone know if there is a repo of a collection of already patched applications?
    08-15-16 01:12 PM
    Definitely you should love it. Across the dozen phones I had on different OS, BlackBerry Passport is just the best one to use! Batery, smooth UI, speed and lack of any OS bugs!
    Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 02:11 PM
    Once an app is patched it works fine; if you use Windows you can even patch them yourself. My best experience has been using native apps, it's a well designed, fluid OS. Kindle from the amazon app store (hence, an android app0 always makes the phone get hot and the battery drain fast, so I've given up. The biggest show stopper might be whatsapp come december, but I finally managed to get my contacts to use bbm on iphone, and apparently notifications work if they don't close it. So if you can live with the app limitations, it's a joy to use.
    08-15-16 02:19 PM
    Yeah my one concern now is Slack. I was reading that Slack is compatible with using Cobalts method, but I've heard mixed results when it comes to notifications. Though it was never confirmed through any of the threads whether or not the people complaining about the notifications not working used Cobalts method. Anyone know? If not, I'll just have to wait and see.
    08-15-16 02:35 PM
    Yeah my one concern now is Slack. I was reading that Slack is compatible with using Cobalts method, but I've heard mixed results when it comes to notifications. Though it was never confirmed through any of the threads whether or not the people complaining about the notifications not working used Cobalts method. Anyone know? If not, I'll just have to wait and see.
    I have NO idea about Slack but there is S10 in Blackberry World which is a Native Slack client with headless and full Hub support. Like I said in my previous post, try it out and see if it works for you. I noticed in the reviews that some people have the android patched version and for now it is working well. You can check it out.
    08-15-16 03:09 PM
    I have NO idea about Slack but there is S10 in Blackberry World which is a Native Slack client with headless and full Hub support. Like I said in my previous post, try it out and see if it works for you. I noticed in the reviews that some people have the android patched version and for now it is working well. You can check it out.
    Thanks I noticed that as well. Some people use a mix of both apps and/or the Android app with SMS notifications. I'm pretty confident I can make it work, just a matter of finding what works best.
    08-15-16 03:19 PM
    Just use the native app Slack10 from BBW.
    For YouTube you can use FastTube.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 02:48 PM
    The native Slack client s10 is completely unreliable wrt it's hub notifications and otherwise very limited in functionality compared to the Android Slack app.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 03:22 PM
    Yes, I've been reading that people use S10 for notifications and the Android Slack client for chatting. I'll probably do something similar, or enable Text alerts from the slack client to alert me of things and hop in the android app.
    08-16-16 03:31 PM
    One of the reason I love BB10 is Passport for their square screen and native WhatsApp. Hope it still there as long as BB10 live.
    08-17-16 07:08 PM
    The native Slack client s10 is completely unreliable wrt it's hub notifications and otherwise very limited in functionality compared to the Android Slack app.

Posted via CB10
    It looks like S10 in BBW has had a big update today. I don't use it but may be worth a re-visit.
    08-19-16 07:54 AM
    Thanks I noticed that as well. Some people use a mix of both apps and/or the Android app with SMS notifications. I'm pretty confident I can make it work, just a matter of finding what works best.
    S10 has been updated today.
    08-19-16 07:55 AM
    Thanks for the heads up!
    08-19-16 02:18 PM